New Planning Team Reports

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 7th Annual DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS 2015 New Planning Team Reports

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

AS previously stated in the “planning has Begun’ topic:

Post by DINO ยป Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:30 pm
        The ‘Dynamic Duo plus one”…Me Rich & Bobby…will be having meetings and planning ongoing. Rich’s computer is down for the count, so we’ll be using 3-way conference calls. We’ll be also setting up planning sessions with Wayne at Lebanon. New features will be added and some old retired.

Post by DINO ยป Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:00 am
        Fine Tuning Behind the scenes has begun….Rich-Bobby and I are in ‘negotiations. Getting things Ok’d with Wayne. Some things take a couple of rabbit trail phone calls back & forth, with me feeling like a UN interpreter. 2 guys in N.Y., one in Ct. And Me down here.

This topic is For BOBBY, RICH & I to Report to you guys our ‘negotiations’ and fine tuning of many aspects of the Event. So as of Last Saturday …Our First 3-way conference call was a success. Rich, Bobby and myself went over just about everything the event entails from tech to packing up and going home. Major discussions lasted over 1 1/2 hours and we REALLY fixed-repaired and adjusted a ton of things. I’ve got 5 pages of notes to condense and report here in coming posts. I also made a number of calls prior to our first session to Racers, NHRA, Wayne, sponsors and Race groups for input and background research. We concluded and agreed that Bobby “Smitty” Smith will focus on Race operations and rules inforcement. Rich will be my point man in the Big Car Show Lot on Sunday and also coordinate the new Show workers ,along with over-seeing the “Drag Alley” Nostalgia Race Car Display area. On Saturday he’ll be assisting Bobby with Our New Feature …TWIN Gamblers Races. One PRO. the other SUPER PRO. With NO OPEN TRACK Test & Tune, about 65 cars will Not be infused in our operation. That gives us the freedom to run these Gamblers’ Races (That we haven’t had time to do in two years) This is just a Fragment of the results of our meeting. They’re doing some ‘homework’, in preparation for our next meeting. I’ll be posting more tomorrow as I go over the Notes. “Just The Beginning”. NOTE: Expect me to delete off topic replies here that clog up the communication ,as this is to Report to you the Event Format and rules. If ya got something to suggest or add > E-Mail -Call or Private Message for me to bring up at the next meeting.

More Tomorrow

dino
        Keymaster

To further define Saturday Operation…Just as on Sunday, Time Trials will run from 9am UNTIL everybody has at least two runs in. THEN since we will have NETO-and other groups running eliminations in the afternoon Plus the Gamblers Races, time trials in the afternoon will be ‘injected’ as time permits. Want a time trial ? get to track and in the lanes early .
            GAMBLERS RACES …open to ONLY race cars ENTERED in a Sunday DOVER ELIMINATOR bracket. Better have it on your window or you will be turned away. No OPEN Track Test & Tune.( No Imports-Street Bikes-etc.) Will probably (As Of Now) Call you By Eliminator into lanes to Keep tabs on you.
            SUPER PRO …BOX- run what ya brung
            PRO…NO Box …run what ya brung
            ………………All eliminator category’s welcome.
            INFO SIGNS for all eliminators and race format will be posted at entrance to staging lanes and at Tech Table, Plus as initiated last year ALL Drivers will get Info sheet & Competitor Decal….So no excuses “I didn’t know” .also Event Rules will be on all Flyers with each days Schedule.

DOVER ELIMINATOR FINE TUNING

*DOVER 4-SPEED will NOW have a year Break of 76 or earlier Only. No newer ( Go in Dover NEW) this will retain the nostalgia element to it.
            * Dover VINTAGE (back to)> PRE ’76 >>>>>11.51 or slower
            *Dover MODIFIED (back to)> PRE “76>>>>>>11.50 or faster
            …………….to even out the fields
            * Dover NEW ’77 or Newer.

dino
            Keymaster

“GAMBLERS RACES …open to ONLY race cars ENTERED in a Sunday DOVER ELIMINATOR bracket. Better have it on your window or you will be turned away.” this is up to debate.

dino
                Keymaster

Debate Issue …Solved
                    Bobby Smith Sent this

Dino…looks great except for one issue. The Saturday gamblers races should be open to anyone. So, Saturday will have: Timeshots AND Eliminations for Super Pro, Pro NETO, ECG and NENDRA. Time shots ONLY for Dover classed cars that are running on Sunday. This way, ALL cars that enter the lanes on Saturday will be in some race class, not just Test/Tune. If possible..maybe that Friday night have an open test/tune for anybody. I know Wayne does that on selected Fridays from 5 to 9 pm or so. What ya think about all the above?
                    ……….RICHIE HEAD Agreed, about No Dover only.
                    Anyone Up for Friday Night Idea?…Have to clear it with Wayne. Adds a Hotel night for some ???I know if the Gasser Racing Series crew comes in from Buffalo area (sounds like they want to bring the whole group for a points race- not confirmed)..They like to arrive on Friday and ‘lay back’.

dino
                    Keymaster

If ya got something to suggest or add > E-Mail -Call or Private Message for me to bring up at the next meeting.

dino
                        Keymaster

Checked with Wayne about Friday Night Test & Tune…Not going to fly. He said IF he gets a rental ,that takes precedence>”guaranteed money’ That requires min 40 cars to finance the expenses…Staff-crew, insurance & track prep.For an open test & tune …same goes- Minimum 40 cars…No way to guarantee him that unless you pre-enter.Think we’ll “pass’ on the idea.
                            Have “Kman” infiltrating the Track tomorrow to do surveillance photography for further Car Show planning. He’ll be in disguise as a fisherman going to the “creek”

dino
                            Keymaster

To Define ….”Debate Issue …Solved The Saturday gamblers races should be open to anyone.”
                                So, Saturday will have: Timeshots for everyone AND Eliminations for Super Pro, Pro, NETO, and possible new participating race groups. NOTE: ( as of this date…East Coast Gassers and NENDRA will NOT be running as in the past.)

TWIN GAMBLERS RACES for SAT>confirmed By Wayne for PRO & SUPER PRO …100% payback “$20.” to enter.

on another note…Kman sent excellent photos of all over the track property…sure helps being down here to have a photo ‘essay’ of the entire layout to plan things.

dino
                                Keymaster

I’ll Put Other Bits & Pieces we’re working On Here as to not make a whole new topic
                                    ….Contacted Hank Dinger, announcer extraordinaire, At Island and invited him to Pinch Hit Announcing at The Race … with his wealth of knowledge and technical expertise on the Nostalgia era cars. Here’s his reply :

” Nice to hear from you Dino. I will have to wait until the season schedule for Island is set before I can even consider your request. That will be next year, don’t know how early but probably by Feb or so.
                                    Meantime, I appreciate your offer and will give it serious thought. I do indeed like the older cars and from the reports from the past years between the regular racers, NETO and some of the other exhibition cars it sounds like a great weekend.
                                    Have a good holiday season and we’ll be in touch in a couple of months.”
                                    Hank

๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜Ž

dino
                                    Keymaster

Next Planning Meeting -Next Weekend….OF Note…On The Friday Before Our Weekend…Lebanon Has a ‘track retail” , Its a Street Car Race by “Doc” .Wayne only expects about 40 cars plus about 30 for ‘track test- tune’. He said “They should be done by 10 and half gone” …Come SAT We got the whole place..NO OPEN TRACK Test & Tune. Only Car through Tech must Be entered into a Sun. Over Elim…..Or Be with NETO-NENDRA or East Coast Gassers. That Goes for Entry into the two Gamblers Races Sat Too. Even with this going on …I’ll Still have Paved Pit area behind Grandstands ropped off early Friday for “OUR Guys-early Arrival. Also Eastern Hot Rodder Magazine has Cancelled the Fastest Street Car for. Sat, freeing up more pits and track Time.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Bobby Smith, Richie Head and I will be meeting at Lebanon Valley Wed.July 15 ,.Also on hand will be Phil Liddle-head of Dead End Cruizers. We’ll walk the ‘lot’ and set our game plans for the Car show and Drag Alley. Wayne reports all the mess has been cleaned up & hauled away. I then will head to Syracuse to set up Thurs for Gasoline Alley.

dino
                                            Keymaster

OK…We’re ready for lift off…Richie-Bobby And Phil are All in place for the Sunday Car Show operation..Good Meeting at track ..Of Note :the Flyer said (Car Show) $15. Includes Driver -Passengers $15. each. SHOULD HAVE SAID $15 Driver & ONE passenger – ADDITIONAL PASSENGERS $15.Each.
                                                DRAG ALLEY -free to Participate will be along back fence between show lot and grassy area behind grandstands….Swap Section will be up against grandstands on grass- $25 per day (Sun.) We Will have Reserved Trailer Parking For DRAG ALLEY cars. DOVER ORIGINALS will be at same place…along cement barriers between show lot & Pits. More info Signs will be at Main Gate for clarification. Complete Racer Info Sign At Tech building. All competitors will receive a “Information” envelope with your decal and schedule…BOTH DAYS Time Trials will be in lanes 1-4 .5-6-7 will be for NETO/East Coast Gassers/Nendra/Funny Cars.Time Trials start SAT At 9….9:30 on Sun. Come to Lanes WHEN YOUR Elim OR group is called.So Listen Up ! Tune to 107.5 for Track PA. In Stock for our Vendors Mid-way by Goodie Booth…Racing Junk .com- Moroso- Spectro Oils -1320 Graphix- Scott Fisk Graphics- Alloy Wheel Repair…and more. We’ll have some Great Pin stripers set-up during the Sunday car show swinging their brushes…get your car done, race cars too. Chevamoco guys on the way ! Oh…we plan to Push start two fuelers Old style down track back to line the way it was ! …TIME WARP PARADE will be down return road for better Photo Op…no guard rails to block the shot. Out of staging lanes and right past Grand stands. Plenty of last minute details being done daily but looks like bigger & better. Some Great new cars coming including about 14 Gasser Racing Series cars from the Buffalo area. Plus some kool new cars I connected with at Syracuse. Canada-Pa.-Jersey, and a bunch from Mass & R.I..don’t want to spoil the surprise factor.Again …Sat…NO open Track Test & Tune (They’re Running Friday Night “street Race” ) To enter Gamblers Races…You have to be entered As a DOVER Elim car or be with ‘participating ‘group ……new banners I did….

Attachments:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.