"ALLEY OOP" FOR SALE On EBAY

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? "ALLEY OOP" FOR SALE On EBAY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

FORUM EXCLUSIVE !:…got this e-mail at 9:30 last night…
        Hi Dino, You are the first to know, I put “Alley Oop” on eBay, cost of living is the reason. I had a lot of fun with it, someone will get to finish the restoration. Hope 2013 is a good one. Best wishes, Bob
        “Bob says the cost of living is restricting him from finishing it…SOMEONE GRAB IT as not have it be turned into something other than a Dover Legend…He’s done all the right stuff on it .
        “This is one of 12 known Lyndwood rails, built by Pat Bilbow of Lyndwood Welding in 1959 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. and raced until 1962 by the Danbury, Ct. Modifiers Car Club. Car restoration was started with lots of research, I have a ring binder filled with period photos. It raced in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island in the early days of the sport. It was the House Car at DOVER DRAG Strip in Wingdale, N. Y. Won 11 Low ET’s in 1962 and won the Pepsi Points Award, was featured in How to Hop Up Your Engine magazine January 1963. I had hoped to finish the restoration and win the Race Car Class at the AACA Hershey Meet in October, but life has put a change in that plan. Everything that has been done is show quality, the machine work was done by a local NASCAR engine builder. The car has been a lot of fun even if I never fully finished it. The to do list is as follows, assemble the fully machined period correct SBC, rebuild the ALGON injection system, Buy two Firestone slicks from Coker to match the originals in the photos, I HAVE the 5 Spoke American mags , REAL magnesium wheels, rebuild the Caddy-LaSalle transmission and rebuild the brakes. PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS, I’ll be adding more photos, and can send detailed shots if needed. The build has been on the HAMB for years, it is easy to find. I expect payment at the end of the auction, pick up can be arranged and the car stored here without any problems. Yes, I’m sad to be selling this project, I’ve had a lot of fun with it, but life goes on, not a carefully planned sale so please ask for more photos. Best wishes for 2013!”

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Dragster-B-D-Rail-1962-Lyndwood-Rail-Alley-Oop-Vintage-Drag-Race-Car-AACA-Documented-/251211247346?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a7d5b6ef2

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

A reserve price is the minimum price the seller will accept. This price is hidden from bidders. To win, a bidder must have the highest bid and have met or exceeded the reserve price.

dino
            Keymaster

Jim Biron of http://www.hudsonvalleycruise.com put this out to All on his site:

“OK, old time, local drag racers and Dover alumni. Get a piece of history and keep the car in the area.
                For the guys/gals with some extra bucks this would be a great piece for the Dover Reunions. Think about it!
                Maybe even one of the local clubs might get together and bid on it. (Just a thought)
                Jim”

dino
                Keymaster

Bob Swanson…Ridgefield Ct…..on forum as Alley Oop

dino
                    Keymaster

Here Latest bids 2500.00 and reserve still not hit ….Wow… since 9am over 325 hits on this topic!

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

😀 looks like ol #1155 wants it bad…he’s got 6 bids including automatic bids on it…hope he’s one of the Dover guys!

How automatic bidding works (from Ebay) :
                            When you place a bid, you enter the maximum amount you’re willing to pay for the item. The seller and other bidders don’t know your maximum bid.
                            We’ll (EBAY) place bids on your behalf using the automatic bid increment amount, which is based on the current high bid. We’ll bid only as much as necessary to make sure that you remain the high bidder, or to meet the reserve price, up to your maximum amount.

patina
                            Participant

Dino don’t look at this like these guys are seriously going at it. When there is a reserve every wannabe can put in a bid knowing they didn’t meet reserve yet. Then at the bar they brag about how they were bidding on this or that and didn’t get it. To my knowledge (I could be wrong) E-bay states “next bid reaches reserve” and its been my experience that in 90% of the cases bidding stops dead. Don’t want to be a “wet shop rag” but unfortunatly thats how it works.

Pat

dino
                                Keymaster

you the one with the expeariance, fun to watch though, concidering we have such a relationship with this car. W’ell see what happens if they go above the reserve……UNLESS your the guy with 6 bids 😆 and are throwing us off

dino
                                    Keymaster

New ‘players’ doing plenty of automatic bidding….reserve must be ‘up’ there ?

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

YUUUP!….. reserve STILL not met

c***a( 1700) US $5,600.00 Jan-10-13 06:22:41 PST

b***l( 230) US $5,500.00 Jan-09-13 18:46:48 PST

b***l( 230 ) US $5,100.00 Jan-09-13 18:46:48 PST

o***n( 636) US $5,000.00 Jan-10-13 05:49:03 PST

b***l( 230 ) US $3,540.00 Jan-09-13 18:46:48 PST

dino
                                            Keymaster

Latest E-Mail From Bob:
                                                ” I do hope the RIGHT guy gets the car and the restoration gets finished to the degree I’ve started. I’ve had it for 23 years, parting with it is something I’ll regret, but current economy has forced me to let the project go. Whatever help that is need down the road is just an email away.”
                                                Best wishes, Bob

said he’s gotten calls and Dover “guys’ ARE contacting him.

dino
                                                Keymaster

all’s quiet …the suspence is aweful

dino
                                                    Keymaster

getting interesting now

c***a( 1700) US $6,050.00 Jan-10-13 06:22:41 PST

i***l( 10685) US $5,950.00 Jan-11-13 06:21:41 PST

s***s( 1156) US $5,700.00 Jan-11-13 02:37:45 PST

dino
                                                        Keymaster

😯 “This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available”

OK …SOMEONE must have Made An Direct Offer He couldn’t Refuse, I Guess…The Listing IS GONE ??? So WHO’s GOT IT ? ? ?
                                                            Called Schegel NO not him

dino
                                                            Keymaster

JUST IN FROM BOB…..
                                                                It’s going out West. Yes, I got an offer, thought about it, went next door to see my 8 month old Grandson, and he had a big smile for me. I always want to be able to go next door and see him, in a few years I want him to wander over to visit me. Called the fellow back and accepted his offer. I have a standing invitation to visit “Alley Oop” and even drive it when it is done. Fellow sounds like the proper caretaker for the car, I’m happy to see it will get a good home. Best wishes to everyone. Bob

Heres a Great shot By Dick Donofrio from the ‘good ole days”…Thanks for the memories Dick!

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.