"Grandpa Dover" has made his Last Run

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION "Grandpa Dover" has made his Last Run

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Mark ‘Smokey” Mastrianni has left us last night. He inspired us all ,reviving Dover Drag Strip memories with his Dover Drag Strip Reunions, starting in 1991 in Danbury,Ct. If it wasn’t for his vision the revive Dover ,with his sidekick, James ‘Grover’ Grove, Dover would have been forgotten. The Dover Drag Strip Website & Forum ( online in 2008) is testament to that.The Reunions sparked the Dover Gang to go Racing Again , creating the first Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags in 2008 At Island Dragway. Mark Was a Member of the Danbury Modifiers .They First Raced at Montgomery Airport ,with their Club Car ‘Alley Oop’. Mark ran his Street and Strip ’55 chevy gasser. You see, if it wasn’t for Mark, thier would have been no Dover Drag Strip. One sunday , around ’59 or ’60,he took a Gas Station owner (Chet Anderson )from Brookfield,Ct. to the Track. Chet wandered around taking notes ,while Mark ran his car. He was so impressed by this new Drag Racing Thing sweeping the counrty,he had an idea. Upon returning home,he began the planning for Dover in Wingdale,N.Y. In 1961,Dover opened with overwelming success. The stands were packed and the roads were clogged. Mark became Chets first Manager,with fellow Modifiers club members as ‘officials’. Thats were Smokey met James Grove (Grover) . Grover was the first paid entry to track and still has the ticket stub to prove it. Mark brought him on later to run Tech,where thier partnership evolved .Mark Ran His ’55 on opening day and went on to build a Henry J Gasser. So “Grandpa Dover” he is…actually the founding father contributer to the Dover Saga, starting a never ending rememberance to this day.I First met Mark at my Summer Cruise Night in Bethel,Ct. way back in 1981. I saw this guy walking around with a Dover Drag Strip Jacket ,that said Manager. Who was this Guy? When I came on board at Dover to announce in ’67,Mark had left the racing scene in around ’65,to raise and take care of his wonderfull family. I approuched him and got an earfull of Dover History. He knew everyone. He came to Cruise night every week with his’ 59 chevy,along with his fellow club members, the Danbury Rod & Customs. That Club Started The Dover Reunions and it still runs today,being the longest running Track reunion in the country.Over the years he and his family have become regulars at the Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags,even some racing….Sons -daughters ,in laws …theres a bunch. We regularly would talk on the phone,with Mark keeping me updated on all the Dover Guys. I’l always remember his always positive attitude, smile and infectious chuckle. They Don’t make many like Mark…A true passionate family man with Old school values. I aready miss my buddie ….You Go Mark …say hi to all the lost Dover Guys.

Attachments:

babycakes
        Participant

A ‘true’ LEGEND’ , in my book,that I was ‘greatful’ to have known,in my lifetime!!! A man filled with compassion and love for his family and friends! I called him ‘The Godfather of Dover Drag Strip’! He will ‘never’ be forgotten! My condolences go out to Anne,and his family. may he rest in peace!…….Pete.

patina
            Participant

As with many of the people I have met here on the site and the races and reunions, I never met Smokey when we raced at Dover. Our paths may have crossed on one of those Sundays but I don’t know. You would never know that though if you saw us talking with Smokey when we got together, it was as if we knew each other for all those years. He always had a smile and a kind word, and would always ask “how’s the family doing”. I think he liked seeing the MG race again and certainly enjoyed going to the Dover Race. He became a friend of mine and will be sorely missed.

Pat

john-sachs-sr
                Participant

1 of the nicest families you could ever meet, led by a husband who was a super individual.
                    A main stay from day 1 at Dover Drag Strip.
                    GBNF, Mark, RIP.
                    My condolences to the family and my good friend Jim Grove,sr.
                    John

hvy70ss
                    Participant

As many others, I never knew of him back when I raced at Dover in ’73 & ’74. As years went on, along with helping Dino with the beginnings of the Nostalgia Drags at Island, I learned a lot about him. Went to many of his reunions at Danbury. Finally got a chance to meet him a few years back at LVD for a Dover race, great guy. RIP Smokey. My condolences to his family.

Bobby Smith

dino
                        Keymaster

SUNDAY SUNDAY …BE THERE !
                            service
                            Sunday 2-5pm
                            Jowdy-Kane Funeral Home
                            Funeral home in Danbury, Connecticut
                            Address: 9 Granville Ave, Danbury, CT 06810
                            Phone: (203) 748-6262

Mark A. Mastrianni

Mark A. Mastrianni, 83, of Danbury, husband of sixty five years to Anne (Schoenfeld) Mastrianni, father of Mark, Lynn, Jerry and Karen, grandfather to six and uncle, died on Wednesday, February 6, 2018. Relatives and friends will be received in the Jowdy-Kane Funeral Home, 9-11 Granville Ave., Danbury on Sunday, February 10, 2019 from 2 PM to 5 PM. Graveside funeral services and burial will take place in Sec. 20 of St. Peter Cemetery, Danbury on Monday, February 11, 2019 at 11 a.m. Contributions in his memory may be made to the American Heart Association. ng

rcgarren
                            Participant

I would see Mark at Dover from 61 -65, I started racing in 66, Mark wasn’t there, years latter at MARCUS DAIRY I asked why he left Dover, one word answer FAMILY. I was invited to Marks house for 1 of the winter Dover drag strip meetings, he and his family made me feel so welcome. A couple years ago at the Valley reunion I was taking to Mark about Dover and he said that came back to Dover for the winter Snowmobile racing, beside freezing his ass off there would be wrecks ( he would laugh hard ) so they build up the sides so they went faster and more wrecks. I lived 6 miles from the track and I NEVER knew they had snowmobile races, anyone have any info on the snowmobile racing.
                                Mark RIP good friend.

dino
                                Keymaster

Side Note Roger…Its ALL here use search feature:

Re: NEW YORK NATIONAL SPEEDWAY

………………Now back to Topic…Full Funeral info should be in tomorrows (Fri.) Danbury News -Times.

bigblockmopar
                                    Participant

God bless ‘Smoke!’ Truly, one of the good ones! I hope where he is, the track is as it was! That’s my dream when I join him!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.