"Twistin’ Texan" El Camino

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION "Twistin’ Texan" El Camino

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    don-kauer
        quote mikey:

Ah, hell, lets not pick on Tex too much, we’ve all done our share of”rule adjustments”. He was good for the track, brought a lot of people from the Newburgh area. I know that my C/Gas Nova, with a 402, had to weigh in at, I think it was 3456. I had to leave all the steel sheet metal on the car plus add “ballast”. After I got the worked over 366 Big Block in the car, I could run a full glass nose and doors, and pull out some “ballast”. Can’t remember what it weighed though. I talked to my friend Robert Muscat, who bought the “Twistin Texan”, but he sold it back in 90 or 91. He’s going to see if he can locate the car and get in touch with me. Bob is living in Hyde park now, but says he’ll try hard to locate the car. Might be cool to see if it could be bought on the cheap, and “restored” to it’s previous “glory days”. ……………..Mikey 😆

Hey Mikey…Just going through some posts and found this one……I was not one of the rule adjustment people…I ran 100% legal when and wherever I ran …That is why I stopped running at Dover in the early 70’s..I get your point but Dover was a “rule adjustment track” for its chosen people ❗

dino
        Keymaster
            quote dinotheweirdo:

About the “Ballest” . . . . from my vantage point,in the tower…I always saw Tex ‘unload’ the bed when he parked in the gasser pits ,right behind the tower.I seem to remember some 5 gal pails FULL of nuts,bolts,misc. small metal. Guess he needed a lot of spare parts. That would be after he went through tech and got weighed.

….Remember …My brother Ted was the Tech Inspector…He’d KNOW and we’d announce after class first rounds…”So & So Report to the scales”. If they didn’t they were out.

mikey

I have to say that I agree with DK 100% . Example, without using any names: Mod eliminator “final”, Money Race. (Remember, Dover went by the “first or worst”rule). Lights come down, r/lane “red-lights”, l/lane crosses the center-line, over-corrects and drives off the track, keeps going, and is given the win. L/lane was very well liked driver, so was the r/lane, but the l/lane driver was an FTA member. I rest Dons case, and mine. Oh, and Dino, you know it’s true, it happened quite a bit. ……………Mikey 😆

babycakes
                Participant

I could see this ‘subject’ could get into a ‘mud-slinging’ contest (like the politicians get into).Just putting my 2 cents in,Mikey and Don I have to side with,using the term Mikey quoted: “Rule Adjustments” we all saw and overheard alot of things,that weren’t fair by the rule books.I remember a while back a member on the forum quoted this: Your not ‘cheating’…until your ‘caught’! Bottom line;that was then (and we can’t change that),and this is now,as we turn the page to another day of life to enjoy!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

dino
                    Keymaster

I just talked a lot..they made the decisions…..Now …back to TEX…very few photos ,but luckily in the new batch from Paul Vaast … I found this:

Attachments:

mikey

No matter what, I always liked Tex, and the El Camino. ………………Mikey 😆

dino
                            Keymaster

hope Brian has some more shots from Tex…I’m out of Ammo.

mikey

Dino, I’ll bet Tex has a crapload of pics, and TROPHIES. Maybe, just maybe, he’ll part with some. ……………………Mikey 😮 😯 🙄 😆

ricky-white
                                    Participant

Here’s a pic of Twistin Texan My brother Billy use to run C/G too. The two of them ran against each other many times. Use to love the way than El Camino lanched.

Attachments:

dover1320

The photo above from Ricky is cool havin Tex sign a copy for the collection. i might be hookin up with him this week. Hey Ricky who had the brown 55 gasser little Rascal ? Brian

ricky-white
                                            Participant

Brian Don’t remember who had the 55.

dover1320

Today i was in Newburgh and was at Dunkin Donuts havin a coffee with my father and uncle . Then the door opens in comes Tex perfect timing i had my Dover stash in the truck . We went through a bunch of it he had alot of cool memories of time.
                                                    Brian

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Just in From Brian…”Hangin out with Tex himself !”

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Hey Brian,just a ‘quick’ note,what’s he up to these days? Any involvement with ‘hot-rods’ anymore?

dover1320

I’ve been hangin with him alot… we live close to each other and he helped me out the other day when my truck broke down. He dont have a race car, but he is lookin for something now more stock . Tex is comin with me when i go to the track that, will be cool, also Dover race. Brian.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.