RACE CAR FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM RACE CAR FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant

HEY
        After having two close calls with very small ignition wire fires under the hood of the race car I figure it was time to carry my own fire extinguisher instead of waiting for track personal to come to my aid!
        I have always kept an extinguisher in my pic-up but none at my side in the race car! What if any are you guys using ?What type and size will do the job in my 10 second car?Thanks for the help!
        ‘V’

340swinger
        Participant

Hey is for horses ! I have a 2.5 lb halon sitting next to me just to give me a fighting chance.I look inside cars when I’m on line and very few people carry anything, it’s one thing to have a fire on the line but having one at the end of the track….. it’s awfully lonely down there !

jackman
            Participant

I carry a small a,b,c fire extinguisher now, had close call with 70 Challenger no extinguisher in car power steering line developed a small leak and poof fire all over the header it was a really bear to put out with my shirt and dirt from the side of the road,,,,,,,,,

mikey

I agree with Jackman. A good ABC works fine. Available at any Hardware store, Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. My Willy’s also has an On-Board System. ……………….Mikey 😆

vbob
                    Participant

HEY

Glad I got some attention on this!!!
                        OH, HAY is for horses!!!
                        You are sooo right about being all alone, like making the turn at the top end and driving up to get your time slip and smoke is coming in your face,nobody there to help you, time to get into save your ass and ride mode!!!Thanks for the input guys and maybe all racers should carry a good extinguisher, after spending all that $$$$ on the car and have it burn up is no fun!!!I see a lot of car shows will not let you in unless you have one parked under your front tire!!!!
                        Sounds good to me!!!!
                        ‘V’

ricky-white
                        Participant

Besides a fire extinguisher I keep a pair of wire cutters on side of seat. When the wires start melting together the fire ext. aint going to stop it !!! Learned that from my brother many years ago. We were on NJ Turnpike he had his 34 ford and had my 66 Vette. My Vette got small fire, I jumped out with fire ext. put fire out and it starter again, my brother jump out of his car with just wire cutters. He cut battery cable and end of fire.

vbob
                            Participant

HEY
                                Thanks for that tip,so simple but it works!!
                                ‘V’

tomblake
                                Participant

Master switch can work in place of wire cutters. Mustang has one outside and inside the car. Late for that now on the 55 but should have done that on it also. If this post was up a month ago, might have added that inside switch to the 55.

dino
                                    Keymaster

Knew a big time Bracket Racer down here.Had a killer Vega wagon nobody could catch…HE carried the wire cutters too…But Tom ‘s answer might be just the ticket …throw the Big switch to kill the power source.

mikey

Very true on the Master shut-off. But, those wire cutters can come in handy if necessary. When I first got my car, it had a lift off(took three people) nose. I got thinking that if I ever had a bad backfire, or under the hood fire, I’d be up that famous creek really quick. Ergo, the tilt nose. At least VBob and Tom have the lift off hoods!! 😮 😯 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.