Rare Photo find of ’64 INDY Nationals-GuessWho

Forums Forums DINO’S PHOTO PICK OF THE WEEK Rare Photo find of ’64 INDY Nationals-GuessWho

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    vindicator
    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Babycakes…don’t want to get too far off-line of ’64 Nationals…I did setup contact/intro for the sale of George’s Malco Gasser blue ’67 Mustang…a guy from Maine (associated with Muscle Motors) (?)…told me story of how he’d “cherish” ownership forever…if only George would entertain selling the car…put him in “touch”…needless to say…the “story/assurance” was catagorically untrue…it was all about flipping ($$$)…the Nostalgia race car “movement” was on the charts…like house at one time…selling for what they really were never worth…George didn’t get a ton of $$$ for the car…taken in by the (in) sincerity of buyer…was not “happy” at all when the “whole” truth… nothing but the truth…came to light…”ad-lib” to this…a few years later another (Ct) guy was trying to track down the original Paul Harvey Ford AFX Mustang (later run by Dyno Don Nicholson as A/MP car…winning NHRA Spring-Nats…very early heads up match race car…pre-lude to Pro-Stock) guy called me daily for weeks…I knew where it wuz…had no interest in it…I would never do anything to hinder purchase…but…I wasn’t helping either…anyway…looked into guy’s drag race credentials… which…of course…there weren’t any…actually less than 0…:lol: 😆 😆 it was obvious to me he was/is a “player” in the flip market…Randy DeLisio (the very best Ford factory race car restorer in the whole wide world) did the resto….and as “figured”…it was flipped for $$$ quickly…the guy has been un-happy with me for years (it isn’t ez…but I live with that…best I can…:lol: 😆 😆 )…for not guiding him to car…’course…not to my “face”…U…know…from behind the keyboard (some of us can really “man-up” behind the “keys” ‘eh) 😆 😆 😆 …he did “likewise” with Al Joniec’s long nose “Bat Car” (Randy did that as well…beautiful!)…a car which we owned & raced from Al…I have no issue with the guy (any guy) making $$$…but as I “see” it…they are going to have to earn it…the old fashioned way (Smith-Barney) 😆 😆 😆 it ain’t ever gonna’ be a “entree” for a “cat” like this…at least knowingly/willingly…from me…’nuff said 😆 😆 😆 Drake…p.s. Don Snyder in Ohio owns these cars now…has serious collection…real good guy…real passion…conviction…for the era 😀 😀 :D…this “tale”…boys & girls…has a very happy 😀 😀 😀 ending

babycakes
        Participant

Thank you Drake for rundown on some of these ‘classic’ race cars.It’s amazing how much money they bring in,when brought up for sale (and to be careful there not fakes or ‘clones’). Last I knew,George’s ‘blue’ Mustang,is displayed in the N.H.R.A Museum,in California; and George’s ‘red’ one,stored in the back of his shop,with the engine displayed in a glass enclosed case.I’m glad his son Gregg continues to run the business,building racing and classic engines,following in his fathers guidance,and footsteps.

vindicator
            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Babycakes…it’s all “good”…as long as George is “happy”…it was his toil/effort…even with FoMoCo’s $$$…that created the success (of the Mustang A/GS cars)…a difficult transition (for us “old goat” purists to accept) from the “standard” gas coupe/sedan…do believe…the “lesson” learned…with the sale of the blue car…changed the possible “availability” forever of the red “Mr.Gasket” car (first supercharged…later turbo)…John Paradise of now long de-funct Super Ford Magazine…had done a very nice article about “Ohio George” 20 years ago…in which it was “intimated”…that all the cars were available…including George’s turbo 4 cylinder Pinto (his last drag race car)…and his seldom seen ’71-73 Mustang alcohol funny car…that’s what caught this “dude” from Maine’s attention…and…so it goes…’er…went…:lol: 😆 😆 Drake

babycakes
                Participant

Drake,last I knew,George still has the turbo Pinto,stored in his box truck,undicided what to do with it at this time (sell or keep). Wasn’t that a ‘terrior’! A 4 cly. turbo turning in the 10’s back then! Leave it up to George to discover the ‘secret’ to make that 4 banger haul 😮 😮 😮 😮 😀

vindicator
                    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Babycakes…in typical “Ohio George” style/fashion…way ahead of the curb… 😆 😆 :lol:…if only…most of us had the seemingly natural mechanical “genius”…of George…Bill Jenkins…the Chrysler guys i.e. Ramchargers…Sox & Martins’ Jake King…Tasca’s John Healey… Don Nicholson/Earl Wade/Jon Kaase…a lil’ “later” Wayne Gapp/Jack Roush…Reher-Morrison…Bob Glidden…Ted Spehar (Motown Missle guru)… with normally aspirated “stuff”…although John Healey…did it all…guess we (the rest of 99% “joe-racers”)…we’d all be awfully “special” too…’eh 😆 😆 😆 we all did/do what we could/can within our budgets/life-style…dedication/talent… 😀 😀 :D…George Montgomery…is the genuine “article”… well earned/deserved…LEGEND…just wish he’d “heed”…needed philosphy of being a bit more “careful”…at “age”…of…girth…ol’ George has really “bulked” up…not especially a good thing…in the “golden years”…sure hope he’s on the planet..and “healthy” another 30 years…at least…U…get the idea 😀 😀 😀 Drake…p.s….turbo Pinto…box truck…this…is… truly…a revolting…development!!! 😆 😆 😆 p.s.s. do believe in 1960 (the year George won Middle Eliminator @ Indy Nats…and the new Falcon Ranchero from Autolite with it…there was a small block Chevrolet in the engine room…also in 1965…maybe another “wizard” can check out 😀 😀 😀 … seem to remember Doug Cook/Stone-Woods-Cook Willys (then powered by Chrysler)…beat “Big John” Mazmanion…for A/GS CLASS WIN….BEAR IN MIND…this is from memory…which ain’t exactly…what it really once wuz 😆 😆 😆

babycakes
                        Participant

Hey Drake,your 100% right with George’s weight,it scares me too! He’ll be hitting that big 80 mark,and even though he stays semi-active yet,that extra weight sure don’t help the ole ‘ticker’ any,that’s for sure!!! Like you,I’d hate to see anything happen to him,which could well be prevented at present time!

vindicator
                            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Babycakes…for sure…and understandably so…most of us aren’t exactly what we were @25-35-45…:lol: 😆 :lol:…but if you just keep packin’ on/in ‘dem pork ‘n beans…to excess everyday…in the “golden years”…do firmly subscribe to “theory”…it’s going to shorten your life-span opportunity…we certainly are exposed to other life-ending health “issues”…but when you “tip” the toledos…100-plus lbs…over those earlier days…@ 5’8″…height or so…think you might be pushin’ the envelope at least a “tad” 😆 😆 😆 I’ve known more than a few…that just didn’t heed…some sembalance of staying half-way healthy…at least!!!…the rest…needs no “story”…George…great guy…can add some “time” to his “visit” on the planet…if he so chooses…I can only hope he does 😀 😀 😀 ‘course we all gotta’ go…some way…some how…as mere mortals…the “choice” at least partly…is very individual…and I respect every persons right to live it as they see it…’eh…:D 😀 :D…Drake

babycakes
                                Participant

Drake…your a “COOL” DUDE,and I very much enjoyed talking and conversing with ya,about ‘Ohio’ George and such.You gotta lot of knowledge and philosophy,and a great outlook on life (the way it should be!!!).Keep it going,and a big THANK YOU my friend!!! 🙂 …Pete.

dino
                                    Keymaster

……………….That conludes this weeks edition of “Drake & Cake”…and now back to our regularly scheduled show “Rare Photo From Indy” ….I think…its been awhile.
                                        As V-Bob would say Annnnnyway… How bought those other entry pages Pat?

patina
                                        Participant

It took a while but I copied all of the entries. Damn, “The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.”

DINO

patina
                                            Participant

#1063 Joe Bambace “11th. Comandment” Plymouth, #736 Joe Jill Speedwin Automotive,
                                                #662 Andy Hofffman “AndyPanda”, #535 Don Noyes “US Mule” #654 George Sneizek “Tazmanian Devil”,
                                                #383 John Sachs “Mangler”, # 393 Antignano Bros. “Wild an Willy”, #420 Eddie Sanzo A/GS, #427 Keven McDermit,
                                                #509 George Brazee “Lil Giant”, #428 Bob Bollman “Eastwind III”, #446 Robert Lagana ” Champion Auto”
                                                #257 Jack Merkal, #271 Charles Boucher “Bad News”, #302 Ray Whitney “Alley Oop”, #321 Willie Feyh “Feyh – Daly ”
                                                #227 Ralph Landolphi “East Wind”, #50 Bruce Hertel “Hustler”, #84 Ron Abbott “Hellzapoppin”,

Thats the ones I know, I’m sure you guys can add some more.

Pat

dino
                                                Keymaster

Pat Just E-mail them…You need to edit the file size with a photo program or change you scanner settings.

dino
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        quote patina:

#1063 Joe Bambace “11th. Comandment” Plymouth, #736 Joe Jill Speedwin Automotive,
                                                        #662 Andy Hofffman “AndyPanda”, #535 Don Noyes “US Mule” #654 George Sneizek “Tazmanian Devil”,
                                                        #383 John Sachs “Mangler”, # 393 Antignano Bros. “Wild an Willy”, #420 Eddie Sanzo A/GS, #427 Keven McDermit,
                                                        #509 George Brazee “Lil Giant”, #428 Bob Bollman “Eastwind III”, #446 Robert Lagana ” Champion Auto”
                                                        #257 Jack Merkal, #271 Charles Boucher “Bad News”, #302 Ray Whitney “Alley Oop”, #321 Willie Feyh “Feyh – Daly ”
                                                        #227 Ralph Landolphi “East Wind”, #50 Bruce Hertel “Hustler”, #84 Ron Abbott “Hellzapoppin”,

Thats the ones I know, I’m sure you guys can add some more.

Pat

DANG!…Lot of Dover Guys ….Now remember that was ’64…see the topic ‘What Happened in 1964 ” to see the radical changes that began.

Click Here:
                                                        http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2059&hilit=1964

patina
                                                        Participant

Dino I did E-mail them, 3 e-mails to be exact.

Pat

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Got It Pat …More to come…familiar names HERE …Don Noyes ,Etc….. Woodland & Anderson with a Dragster befor 442 fame..there’s the Little Giant.

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.