reverse shift pattern

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM reverse shift pattern

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    storm-king-2

Do any of you old Mopar guys know if Chrysler ever had a bulletin on modifying the column shifter for a reverse shift valve body? So you would catch the detents as you pulled the lever down, away from neutral. I know the 65 Hemi cars were set up ths way, but I don’t know about the later years with the rods instead of cable. I want to set up my 72 Scamp that way. I haven’t gotten into the mechanics of it yet, but thought it would be easier if there was some info out there.
        Bill

gramdog1
        Participant

Bill,I don’t remember any mods to the column from ’65 to’67. Might want to ask Charlie Licata,he’s on the website.
            I have a factory reverse pattern indicator R N 1 2 3 if you’re interested.
            Ron.

mikey

Hey Bill, how about Ricky Green, or maybe the Centalonzo’s. If someone had asked me, I would have referred them to you. Oops. I don’t really know any Chrysler people anymore. Good luck. ……….Mikey 😆

super-sport-pete

call frank lupo-# on the links section.he has been around mopars forever.

dino
                    Keymaster

Franks back from holiday Vacation …call him at 302-454-9203

larry-n
                        Participant

What I can recall from our ’66 car which had shifter on the column was: in the normal from-production shift patern from N to D you would hit a detent to prevent accidental shifting from N direct to 2(and then 1). With the reverse shift pattern, grind away the detent in the “2” position–which left a detent remaining for only the former “1” which is now ” 3″ with the reverse shift pattern.

So you end up with in driving: -move lever from N to 1 to launch; simply push down on lever for 2; pull lever out past detent and push down for 3.
                            There was a service bulletin from Dodge on doing this.

I remember a funny situation back in 63 when we first were using manual shift–a couple of mopar guys got their trans modified but didn’t know about the reverse shift pattern and couldn’t figure out what was wrong since they were trying to accelerate from stop in 3rd.

Hope this helps.
                            Larry

masracingtd1167
                            Participant

Ithink most of the tran’s builders have gone away with reverse valve bodies because of safety .If you have a problem you have to go back through your lower gears to get back to neutral.

patina
                                Participant
                                    quote masracingtd1167:

Ithink most of the tran’s builders have gone away with reverse valve bodies because of safety .If you have a problem you have to go back through your lower gears to get back to neutral.

Ditto

Pat

storm-king

Larry, my Dad built a manual shift VB reverse pattern trans for a local kid in Cornwall. One night his car (’67 383 Coronet) was stolen by some idiots from NYC. They drove the car 80 miles to NYC with it in first gear! Believe it or not, the trans showed no ill effects of the abuse.
                                        While Bill and I understand the notion of “if you had a problem and had to get the trans back to neutral or park”, we’ve just flat never experienced a situation that would warrant that.

super-sport-pete

rev valve bodies still seem to be popular for “hand shifted” door cars around here.air shifted cars seem to need fwd pattern.low slung cars need linkage above pan.if you use a column shift,you might need a reverse “lockout” at some tracks for safety.some trans modifiers like to use TWO NEUTRALS. PRN123N . ck coanracing.com t-350,t400.other places do it also.you need to add a detent to the shifter or a 4sp/od shifter.

gtx-matt

I’ve never done it before but from what I understand you grind away a little bit on the stopper for drive on the detent plate, so that you push away from you and down to get it into second gear. Then its just towards you and down for 3rd.

masracingtd1167
                                                Participant

Thought you guy’s would find this interesting .This is what can happen when you put a turbo 400 or tourqflite into nuetral at the finish line !

dino
                                                    Keymaster

OUCH,,,,who did that?

patina
                                                        Participant

Billy what happen 😮

Pat

mikey

What the heck made it do that?? Did you maybe miss neutral?? ………Mikey 😮 😯 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.