RUSSO’S RAT Found in Europe !

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR RUSSO’S RAT Found in Europe !

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    muddytalker

Hi

Greetings from a snowy and cold England. Following your plea on the UK Nostalgia Drag Racing forum (http://www.ukdrn.co.uk) which I’m one of the two moderators, I have come across this article from a 1981 copy of Street Machine magazine all about Russo’s Rat If anyone wants to get hold of a copy I’m sure you’ll pick one up on E-Bay.

In fact I remember the car well racing at Santa Pod, Silverstone and Snetterton drag strips (Silvertsone and Snetterton largely being converted road racing circuits into drag strips). So its great to see where the history of this old race cars has come from especially as I have announced the car (all little did I know it) at my track at Shakespeare County Raceway, Stratford-Upon-Avon where Chris Jenkins races it in rounds of the Street Racer Series. Well enough chat on with the scans. Hope you can read them.

Regards

Muddytalker

PS: Watch for some images of Super Pumpkin real soon.

dino
        Keymaster

Obvious Question from Me …Did the Magizine article mention Dover ? Would love to have a Clear hi-Res of that ! And I notice the sponsor letterng has been removed .Still That Way ?

steviejasp

Hi guys,
                Ive just stumbled on this thread and its made me all gooey eyed.
                I owned this car for about 12 years between about 1988 and 2000.
                It was all orange when i bought it from a friend who had repaired it after a crash during a test drive!
                I got another friend to re spray it in the original colours as best as i could from a magazine article from the early 70’s.
                I had the lettering painted on by someone else.
                It had a 396 and a muncie in when i got it.
                The magazine articles/photos above were taken at Shoreham Airport by Street Machine magazine when i owned it.
                Shortly after that, I put an LS6 in it and a TH400.
                I got into bikes in 1999 and sold it a year later…..worst thing i ever did!

Ps. I dont know if the original bench seats were original to the car, but when i removed them i found a part of the build sheet and it was a L78 car if that helps.

atb, steve

londonuk68

Hi Guys

I’ve just got back from the European Mopars meeting at Santa Pod here in England and spotted my old car there: ex-Russo’s Rat. It’s now painted black and has a big block with 4-speed Muncie trans.

I owned the car in 1974 for a few years and at that time it had a 327 and 4-speed. I knew it was originally Russo’s Rat and the name had been erased from the doors but the paint scheme was the same. I never raced the car but only drove it on the street for a couple of years.

Next time I’ll post a small photo I took back then.

I’ve now got a 68 Camaro which is in the process of being readied for the strip again.

Cheers
                    Roger B

dino
                    Keymaster

Well…There ya go. With the latest info…..Wev’e traced just about all the previous eur-owners of the “Rat”…-Chris,Steve and Now Roger (Who just registered as #801) Too bad in it’s present ownership,the original look has been eliminated with a black paint job. Glad we had the chance to record all the history.Oh-WELCOME Aboard Roger !

dino
                        Keymaster

I beleive Frank Russo JUST Registered and is Browsing the Forum….what til he sees this topic!

martin-d
                                quote dinotheweirdo:

I beleive Frank Russo JUST Registered and is Browsing the Forum….what til he sees this topic!

Hi, Dino
                                Has he registered as Russo’s Rat, only I just has a PM from Russo’s Rat confirming that the car was originally blue.
                                It’s just great that most of/all ? the owners of her are on here, 40 + years is such along time.

dino
                                Keymaster

by Martin D ยป Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am

dinotheweirdo wrote:
                                    ……………..
                                    Too bad in it’s present ownership,the original look has been eliminated with a black paint job. Glad we had the chance to record all the history.Oh-WELCOME Aboard Roger !
                                    Dino, Chris the present owner is well aware of her history and will restore her back into the original Russo’s Rat paint when time and money allow.

speedbump
                                    Participant

check out the tail lights I believe it”s an 68 not 69

patina
                                        Participant

Brother Mike is right those are 68 tail lights and it has a 68 grille on it when its black in a driveway. Then a 69 grille when its doing a burnout with strange plates on it.

Pat

wizeguy1320

im pretty sure thats Fastlane’s ’68 chevelle,…..Doppleganger ! lol

dino
                                                Keymaster

Just Heard from Current owner on Facebook…Karl Curson in Norwich ,United Kingdom, northeast of London.Here’s what it looks like now

Attachments:

londonuk68

Hi Dino

Further to my last post and others about the above, I’ve attached photos showing the car when I owned it in 1974 – with a 327 and Muncie trans. I never raced it but drove it on the street for a few years back then.

It was garaged most of the time as I was trying to locate new spring plates for the Moroso posi but couldn’t find them at that time.

I eventually sold the car to some guys in the UK (who I bought the car from) and received a 2nd gen 1970 Camaro with 305 and turbo 350 in exchange!

Subsequently I bought another 1969 with 427 and Muncie and swopped the 2nd Gen Camaro for the new 1969 (plus cash). This car was sold a couple of years later and then I bought my present 1968 Camaro with 396 and Turbo 400 in 1995 which I’ve had ever since. I’ve recently pulled the engine and trans as I have leaking freeze plugs in the block – so am now deliberating whether to buy a 500+ inch crate motor for it. CAN ANYBODY SUGGEST THE BEST SUPPLIER FOR THIS: e.g. Shafiroff, Nye’s or others.

I belong to Surrey Muscle club here in London who mostly drag race and there are some quick cars with Shafiroff and Nye’s crate engines fitted.

All the best
                                                        Roger B
                                                        email: rfbannister@hotmail.co.uk

Attachments:

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.