Sad Day at Crane Cams

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Sad Day at Crane Cams

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    randy-fish

From today’s Daytona Beach News Journal Online . . .

Crane Cams shuts down, workers laid off

By JIM WITTERS
        Senior Business Writer

DAYTONA BEACH — Crane Cams, a 56-year-old auto parts manufacturer, closed its doors this week and laid off its employees, a worker said today.

The news took Volusia County’s top economic development officer by surprise. City, county and state officials were working with Crane Cams and officials from its New Jersey parent, Mikronite Technologies, to keep the company open and in the community. “We were trying to help them through this transition,” said Rick Michael, Volusia County economic development director. “They were considering a transfer of ownership. We were not expecting any closure.”

An automated voice mail system at Crane’s plant on Fentress Boulevard announced at midday today the company was closed and suggested calling back during business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A call to Mikronite’s New Jersey offices produced similar results. Six cars sat in the parking lot early this afternoon at the local plant, which employed 220 just three years ago. Inside the lobby, a reception desk sat empty. A call from the lobby phone got an answer from Dennis Burgess, who declined to comment and said no one at the plant could provide information.

In the parking lot, 14-year employee Ronald Dorn was leaving the plant for what he believed was the last time. He said workers were told during the past week that layoffs were likely, but he didn’t expect the plant to close.

Mikronite received approval in 2006 to receive tax rebates from the state and the county amid discussion about moving its New Jersey operations here. But the company ended its contract with the state in 2008 due to nonperformance, Michael said. “Crane has gone through a series of small layoffs recently,” he said.

Crane Cams and Crane Technologies Group were founded by Harvey J. Crane Jr. in 1953 as Crane Engineering Inc. in Hallandale. The company is well known in high-performance and racing circles for its line of camshafts and engine valve train components.

In 1979, Crane Cams became an employee-owned company. Some operations moved to Daytona Beach in 1981, with the remainder of the operation and employees relocating here in 1985.

Mikronite, an industrial technology firm, bought Crane in 2006.

In March 2007, Mikronite sold its property on Fentress to STAG Capital Partners of Boston, then signed a 10-year lease.

dino
        Keymaster

Thanks for the scoop Randy…I know IF we started to voice our opinions on the economy here …THAT topic would probably explode. Hey …we’ll watch whats goin on , and report whats happening. I know how most of ya feel and …shoot …we’re racers ! lived through a whole lot worse in the 60’s and 70’s and still got to the track somehow. Hang in there guys ….

vbob
            Participant

HEY
                Found this under C.
                Nice five pages Randy Fish did on Crane Cams
                in the Sept. 2007 issue of Drag Racer magazine!

‘V’

Attachments:

tomatohead
                Participant

The FIRST camshaft I bought was a Crane for the Cobra Jet from “B&R Speed Shop in Brewster NY ❗ ………..and I have the Gold Roller Rockers on the Fairlane motor and I have a Crane cam and lifters in my pick up ……………tomato 🙁

randy-fish
                        quote video Bob:

HEY Found this under C. Nice five pages Randy Fish did on Crane Cams in the Sept. 2007 issue of Drag Racer magazine!
                        ‘V’

Thanks, VBob . . . as usual, you’re Johnny on the Spot. I really enjoyed the day and a half I spent with old (and respected) friend, Chase Knight. At that time, Crane’s new parent company, Mikronite, was in the process of re-building the facility on Fentress Road. Four brand-new CNC machines were going online, a new dyno room, and an expanded Mikronite treatment area had been installed. It’s hard to say what went wrong, but it’s a terrible day for the high perfomance industry. Crane manufactured and supplied cam cores to most of today’s well-known camshaft manufacturers, as well as OEMs. They also manufactured camshafts for Lycoming Aircraft.

When I raced with the Glastonbury-based, Ruggiero & Roberts AA/DA, Chase Knight designed a new cam profile for us, and man, was it stout. The car never sounded better. It actually jumped off the jackstands when we whacked the throttle in the pits at the 1986 Gatornationals. Good people . . . great products . . . and an amazing company legacy. R.I.P.

P.S. Don’t be surprised if COMP acquires the assets. COMP recently acquired Lunati.

randy-fish

Before the site goes down, visit http://www.cranecams.com and click on the History link. It’s very interesting.

tomblake
                            Participant

When we were racing full time we toured their shop in Daytona. The facility was state of the art and we were very impressed with the products and quality control. They helped us with our racing program and their help meant a lot to us. We will be sorry to see them closing that facility.

dino
                                Keymaster

1961 Dover opened ,Pete Robinson Won Indy with a Crane Cam ,Then Appeared at Dover with the Same car …..Small world

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

Big discussion going on at the ‘HAMB” at Jalopy Journal about Crane AND other “rumors”…. good reading but lets keep the “Talk Show gossip” over there .

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337771

vbob
                                        Participant

HEY

Found this upstairs under R !!
                                            ‘V’

Attachments:

randy-fish
                                                quote video Bob:

HEY Found this upstairs under R !!
                                                ‘V’

Aww, now you’re definitely my HERO! I might have to appoint you DRAG RACER Magazine’s “Grand Archive Wizard.”

That’s us . . . Frame-Up Engineering 240-inch chassis, 440-inch Rodeck, BacMan billet heads, and a Mooneyham 14-71.

My dad just didn’t get it. He said once, “Now let’s see. You come home from work to eat. Then you go over to this guy’s house three or four nights a week till 11:00 and drag your ass to work the next day. Then, you jump in his Suburban on Fridays to go to New Hampshire, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania. You work on that thing all weekend and get home at midnight Sunday only to drag your ass to work on Monday morning. And he doesn’t pay you for that?” I replied, “No, dad, and I love it!”

dino
                                                Keymaster

Randy …ya did Mike Goyda …How ’bout “Video Bob’s Attic Archives” ???……………Crane Cams ? oh yeah …Funny where these things end up….Guys at Jalopy Journel Forum (HAMB) think Edelbrock is next ….don’t know the facts .

dino
                                                    Keymaster

This Crane Cam Deal must be affecting a lot of people ! I’ve recieved about 10 e-mails about it, just today !

randy-fish
                                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

This Crane Cam Deal must be affecting a lot of people ! I’ve recieved about 10 e-mails about it, just today !

Being in business for 56 years, they had lots of loyal customers. Crane engineers worked closely with lots of Sportsman and Pro drag race teams, not to mention every other racing discipline on the planet. You couldn’t begin to count how many sets of Crane roller rockers have been sold over the years. Let’s just hope our crumbling economy doesn’t ruin the whole performance aftermarket, since high-octane racing gas, methanol, and nitromethane aren’t exactly “Green” in today’s grand scheme of things.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

The dumbing of America…MOST Don’t understand whats going on …This might explain things…don’t want to get TOO Political but we ought to be aware …Watch this ($20. loaf of Bread?)…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Vsgl6SUZ0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.