SOUTHERN COMFORT INFO.

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION SOUTHERN COMFORT INFO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    frank-j-majauskas
    Participant

Hey Guys, Looking for some information and pictures on a 55 Chevy 2 dr. HT. that ran
        at Dover back in the 70’s and beyond. It ran in the modified classes. I remember it being
        in the staging lanes with my 55. Kind of lost track of that car. Maybe it was a favorite of
        mine because it was a HT like mine ❓ I did hear that Southern Comfort did race at Lebanon
        Valley after Dover closed up. So that widens the area. I have this one old picture from
        the Dover days. The car was like a root-beer color with orange/red lettering saying “Southern Comfort”
        on the rear quarter panels and the name “MATTHEWS” on the doors and fenders. Thank you for any
        help you may give ❗ 😀

Frank… 😎

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

John Matthews owned it and never sold it. Was going to put it back on the street .Did all the Body work. Got into some health issues and sold it to Rich Head about a year ago. Two weeks after that ,John passed away. Rich did more work on it ,but had to sell it due to his wifes health issus. He told me today ,that John Shimer has it now. Said John plans to restore it back to original Dover look.

patina
            Participant

That’s good news of where the car wound up. John If you are looking for a motor for it, I have the short block from the MG.

Pat

frank-j-majauskas
                Participant

Thank you Dino for filling in the time gap after Dover. Sorry to hear the sad news about
                    John. He obviously loved his 55 to have kept it all those years. We would still like to see
                    any other pictures of “Southern Comfort” from Dover or other tracks. Pat, it’s my understanding
                    that the “Southern Comfort” at the present time has a complete running gear, front to back.
                    I believe the engine is a small block 383 ci, 4 speed trans. and a Pontiac/Olds rear. Very nice
                    drive train. I know that John (ROXREC) will do a great job bringing the “Southern Comfort”back to
                    the way it should be remembered ❗

Frank… 😎

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                    Participant

Here’s a picture of the “Southern Comfort” being unloaded at it’s new home.
                        It was welcomed by long time Dover Drag Strip racers, Don Kauer (The Equalizer),
                        Bobby Schlagel (restorer of “Hellzapoppin”), Richie Head (previous owner of
                        “Southern Comfort” manning the winch and “Crew Chief”, Mike Leroux. John
                        Shimer thanks everyone involved with this move. 😀

Frank… 😎

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

OK ❗ John was able to find a couple time slips from Lebanon Valley. These slips
                            are from back in 1992. That means that the car was still being raced 16 years
                            after Dover closed. Would love to see any pictures of “Southern Comfort” From
                            any other tracks :!:…..ty

Frank… 😎

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                            Participant

Here’s a little clearer picture of the “Southern Comfort” at Dover.

Frank… 😎

Attachments:

patina
                                Participant

Those time slips seem to be from the Capitol Area Show. It’s an 1/8th mile event, maybe some pictures there.

Pat

frank-j-majauskas
                                    Participant

Yes Pat, you’re right about the 1/8 mile racing at the Capital Area Nostalgia
                                        events at the Valley. Just don’t know how to get any pictures taken by the Valley 26
                                        years ago. Jim Knight (track photographer) for many years passed away, so that
                                        may be an issue? Thanks Pat…”Maybe the old time racers or race fans are losing
                                        interest or this site is losing it’s attraction”?

Frank… 😎

vbob
                                        Participant

HEY

Thee first DDSRenion 1991!
                                            ‘V’

Attachments:

Linda Matthews
                                            Participant

I want to post info about Southern Comfort

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.