Speaking of Doc Burgess and The Black Arrow…

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Speaking of Doc Burgess and The Black Arrow…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I’ll take it and put a real engine in it Bill. A REALLY BIG BIG BLOCK CHEVY !!! 😆 😆 😆 With a “GLIDE” If they went and ruined it with a Chev, they shoulda done it right. 😀 😆 😀 …………………….Mikey
        P.S. Still wish I had bought that car !!…………………………coulda, woulda, shoulda 😥 😥 😥

storm-king-2

I have to be honest. At the end of 73, my partner Richie & I had a serious discussion about how we were going adopt to be more competitive in Pro/Stock. The rules were against us, or anybody else running a mopar, with the new weight breaks. We thought about a Ford, but didn’t feel there was enough support from the factory. So, if we could have sold the Duster, we would have most likely bought an SRD Vega. There might not have been factory support, but everybody & thier brother knows how to make a small block run. The lighter weight would have been easier on parts, which were generally cheaper anyway. It was all a moot point as I got layed off & took the Duster & moved to Tenn. Wages were so much lower there that another car was out of the question. So thats when I threw in the towel
            Bill

paul-ceasrine

BILL (SK2).
                That would have been the right move in 73′. Nobody running Mopars. Don’t know if you remember, but virtually any Sunday at Dover back then was nearly 250-300 cars their, and maybe 15 Mopars (on a good day). One Sunday I did a count, and there were more
                Oldsmobile’s their than Plymouth and Dodge combined. Camaro’s, Nova’s, Chevelles and
                Vette’s. It was about $. Small-block Chevy’s perfect for low-buck racers.
                On the 65′ S/S cars. Good website out there. Greg Lanes Max-Wedge Page. All the little details on the 62′ thru 64′ Max-Wedge, and 64′ and 65′ S/S cars.
                Standard sheet-metal thickness for 65′ cars .038″, S/S cars had .018″ (60% lighter).
                Paul

storm-king

That’s true for Dover and most tracks. A funny thing about Lebanon though is that they always had a high ratio of Mopars compared to other tracks.
                    Maybe those hillbilly’s know a good ‘shine runnin’ car when they see one?

paul-ceasrine

BILL,
                        I think you are correct on that. I think there is a law in New York State, that says you must have 33% Mopar participation at local tracks, if your within or above the Catskill Region 😆
                        Of course, it doesn’t mention weather conditions. Everytime we went up to Lebanon, it rained. Dover had a much better umbrella and track drying system. OK, All you stockers get down here and drive up and down the track 😀
                        As for Mopars hiding in ‘Them Thar Hills’, you just know a 64′ Max-Wedge is hiding in
                        some barn with bay hills surrounding it, only driven on Sundays back in the day by GRANDMA.
                        Paul

storm-king

Well, the original “Storm King” is hiding in a private collection somewhere. We had heard that a Chrysler dealer in Conn had it in a collection but before we could go check it out, we moved, lost touch with those who knew where it was, etc. Consider; our max wedge was totally uncut, except for where the first set of fenderwell headers went. The car never even had so much as a roll bar in it. when we sold (traded) it, it was eight years old and had 3,400 original miles on it. Someone has a real gem hiding somewhere! We do have the VIN on a piece of paper, maybe other documentatioin on it. I know Bill just found the original Bill of Sale for the “Black Arrow” and made a photo copy of it about a week ago.

dino
                            Keymaster

“Speaking Of”…Found this in March 27, 1965 Drag News (west coast Version)Thanks Brian !…. Lists Arrow, belonging to Grump…Boy -that must have burned up the Doc.

Attachments:

storm-king

Well if it said that in a magazine it must be true, right?! 😆
                                    Doc is a gentleman; but from my last talk with him, which admittedly has been some years; it did bother him, as well it should and would anyone else as well.

paul-ceasrine

A long lost photo appears. Brian must be a ‘Magician’.
                                        “Where does he come up with these wonderful toys (photo’s)”
                                        If you look closely, he’s right on with the date, March 65′ (Snow at Cecil County)
                                        Bill Jenkins name is still lettered on the door panel, as driver..
                                        Looks like this may be the first lettering job with Robert L ‘Doc’ Burgess and
                                        Carl Speidel’s name on the car. At Pomona, only Jenkins name was on the car.
                                        Also, the #666 has been removed off the back lower quarter-panel.
                                        Just how many paint variations did this car have?? I have 6 different ones??
                                        And 10.71 @130 in March 65′. That ain’t no NHRA-legal Super/Stock engine in that car.
                                        Wonder if Jenkins threw in the roller-cammed engine with the ported & polished heads,
                                        to go along with the bigger slicks….Me thinks he had a couple of Match-Race ready engines from his and Dave Stricklers 64′ 426 Hemi in the back of the Sunoco Station or shop…
                                        Ain’t those Mopar cars NICE 😀
                                        PC

larry-n
                                        Participant

The Ramchargers ran at 450 cube motor for match races, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if Jenkins was doing the same.
                                            Larry

paul-ceasrine

Just stumbled onto more ‘Black Arrow’ history.
                                                1965 Indy Nationals (September 65′)
                                                Bill Jenkins, w/Doc Burgess applying the rosin.
                                                ‘Black Arrow’ wins A/MP class over Charlie Allen’s 65′ Mopar.
                                                “Black Arrow’ runs 11.11 @ 130 to Allen’s losing 11.43 @ 127.
                                                Lots more stuff out there on the Wingdale based car. The ‘Black Arrow’ was everywhere.
                                                Several lettering jobs too!!! One with Bill Jenkins in the car, in front of some
                                                Pennsylvania Tire Shop (early 65′) with Spiedels Speed Shop lettered on the back quarter.
                                                Paul,,

dino
                                                Keymaster

Links or copy & send ,or e-mail the Photos ?

paul-ceasrine

DINO,
                                                        I found the ‘Black Arrow’ on a couple of site’s.
                                                        So many lettering jobs on that car in 65′ and 66′, it is almost like
                                                        (2) 65′ cars existed.
                                                        That car must have taken in some $$ on the match race circuit 65’/66’/67′.
                                                        PC

paul-ceasrine

DINO,
                                                            I stumbled on the ‘Black Arrow’ on the H.A.M.B. Modified Production thread.
                                                            Page 6; Post #105
                                                            Page 7; Post #124
                                                            Page 7; Post #130
                                                            Looks like at the 65′ Indy Nationals, Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, NY was lettered on
                                                            the rear quarter (September 65′) with #666.
                                                            A/MP Class Winner, and NHRA National Record Holder.
                                                            PC

paul-ceasrine

A new photo, that I have never seen.
                                                                Posted by Jimi Vignogna on http://www.moparts.com 65 A990 Cars Where Are They Now
                                                                Bill ‘Grumpy’ Jenkins sitting in car, outside a Tire Shop.
                                                                Can’t be sure of date, but must be right after the 65′ Winternationals.
                                                                Car lettered with 1965 Winternationals Champion
                                                                Mr. 1965 Stock Eliminator
                                                                666 on rear quarter with S/SA class identification
                                                                Speidels Speed shop on rear quarter.
                                                                ‘Grumpy’ lettered on door panel.
                                                                Sorry, Storm King (I and II)
                                                                PC

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.