SPEED SHOPS FROM DOVER’S PAST

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past SPEED SHOPS FROM DOVER’S PAST

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    saltydogfromyo

BURKE AVE SPEED SHOP OWNED BY TWO BROTHERS ANTHONY AND KENNY NESTER.WAS ABOUT A BLOCK FROM THE TRAIN STATION. THEY RAN A CHEVY C/GAS DRAGSTER. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THEY ALSO HAD A, B OR C ALTERED. MY BROTHER-IN LAW DROVE FOR THEM.WE RAN ALOT AT NATIONAL AND WESTHAMPTOM BUT DOVER WAS WHAT REMEMBER THE BEST. THE TWO BROTHERS WERE FRIENDS OF JOHN GALLI AND CHARLIE CASTALDO.

kman
        Participant

patina
            Participant

That picture is at Islip Dragstrip an 1/8 mile track in where else Islip LI NY.

Pat

rcgarren
                Participant

House of Speed in Danbury was at the track
                    B & J auto in White Plains

babycakes
                    Participant

I remeber ‘Ulster Automotive’,first ran his business out of his garage,then opened up a ‘new’ store on Ulster Ave. in Kingston. Later on, he changed the name to ‘Automotion’. Owner Joe Kornowski ( don’t know if spelled correctly) was in an auto accident ( as a passenger, coming home from college) and confined to a wheel chair. Joe treated me like family when it came to buying speed parts.and custom wheels,ect. If he made a buck or two profit on me,it would have been a lot!!! He helped me ‘big’ time in ’68’ with my C/MP ’57’ Chevy race parts! Sadly, Joe had passed away,and his brother in law Jerry ran the business,then finally closed somewhere around 12 to 15 years ago (?). Joe had a ‘big’ heart, and ‘loved’ being in Speed Shop business! I will never forget what he done for me!

hvy70ss
                        Participant

Cakes,
                            There also was an Automotion on Rt 17k (upper Broadway) in Newburgh. I remember them listing both stores in the adds. Great people…got my first B & M tranny cooler from them in the early ’70’s! I wonder if Joe owned both stores?

Bobby Smith

don-kauer

Just read this old post… 😎 …….Now there’s a blast from the past!!!!!! 😀 😎 I knew the Nester boys fairly well..Burke Ave Speed……..When they were there I was living on Tomlinson Ave in Morris Park…You’re right ..They ran mostly on the Island and so did I ……..Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Kenny drove the car sometimes…I would see them at John’s in Mt. Vernon a few times…. 🙂

babycakes
                                Participant

Bobby,I think your right,Joe having both stores. He sponsored a BB/GS dark green Anglia in ’67’, the guy was somewhere south of Poughkeepsie (?).He flipped it at Dover,totaling the body. My partner Bill and I were working on another Anglia to run.All we had done was chopped the top and doors (just a ‘stock’ roller).I had serious intentions of running the ‘Spring Nationals’ at ‘E’ town in’68’. Joe kinda put the pressure on me to sell the body to the guy that owned the BB/GS. Well, thinking it over, knowing I was on a deadline,and a lot more time and money involved on the Anglia, we sold it,and that’s when I quickly found my ’57’ Chevy 210 2dr.h.t. to put my 301 cu. in, small block in,and just finished it two weeks prior to the Spring Nationals,to run in C/MP.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.