SS/AFX Fan Here

Forums Forums NEW GUYS…and girls SS/AFX Fan Here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    troublemaker427

I’m new to the site and thought I’d introduce myself. My name is Jody Aberts and I’m a huge fan of the SS/AFX era from ’61-’67. Once the body’s started to flip up I kind of lost interest. I’m 42 so I was born to late to see this era in person. I’m mostly a Ford fan but I really like them all. I’m really into Thunderbolts and Lightweight Galaxies but all factory built race cars are cool. Some of my favorite drivers are Phil Bonner, Dave Strickler, Dick Brannan and Les Ritchey. I’ve been very lucky to become close friends with Phil Bonner and we get together a couple of times a year. He is 75 and still going strong.

My father and I both race Nostalgia Super Stock cars. Mine is a ’66 Fairlane powered by a 427 and called Troublemaker2. Dad runs a ’67 Comet 202 with a 427 called Mr.Twister. Both cars have been deep into the 9 second zone on 10.5″ tires. Dad is 68 and still having a blast in the race car. My 15 y.o. son is our head wrench and loves the history of drag racing also. Our home track was 75-80 but it is now closed like Dover so we test at Mason Dixon Dragway.

I collect Eastern Drag News publications and am about 8 issues short of a complete set from ’62-’65. If anyone has any issues I’d be interested in purchasing them. I’m also always looking for lesser known publications that covered SS/AFX racing from ’61-’67. I’m also looking for photos of T-bolts and LW Galaxies.

Thanks for having a place to share the memories!!

vbob
        Participant

Hey

If you have the time take a trip to Tasca Ford Cranston ,R.i. for the annual John Force Day.
            It’s usually around the weekend of Sept.11th!
            They post it on their web site prior to.
            All Fords and Ford powered cars!
            Great people good time for all!

‘V’Bob

vindicator
            Participant

🙂 🙂 🙂 HEY JODY…WE ACTUALLY BOUGHT/TRADED AL JONIEC FOR EVERY RICE HOLMAN RACE CAR & TRUCK (S) THAT AL HAD EXCEPT FOR HIS BOSS 429 MUSTANG PRO STOCK CAR…JOE SPINELLI (PA.) HAS THAT CAR …RESTORED IT (REALLY,REALLY NICE!)…WE RACED ‘EM ALL…NO BUYIN’ THEM AND GETTIN’ A RANDY DELISIO (IN OUR “HUMBLE” OPINION…THE VERY BEST FORD RACECAR RESTORER ON THE PLANET…BAR NONE..) TO DO ‘EM UP..JUST TO CAPITALIZE ON SOMEONE ELSE’S PREVIOUS NAME/SUCCESS…AND “PEDDLE”…FOR PRETTY BIG MONEY…NOT REAL RACE CAR GUYS…AS I “SEE” IT…BUT HEY…IT’S AMERICA…FREE ENTERPRISE…A CAPITALISTIC SOCIETY…U GET THE IDEA…AL’S ’63 1/2 LIGHTWEIGHT AND HIS “PEANUTS” THUNDERBOLT… WERE BOTH “SPONSORED” BY AL SWENSON FORD (BEFORE THE RICE/HOLMAN DEAL)…AND I BELIEVE, HE HAD A PARTNER (“BUD”..HEADS BY “BUD” RUBINO) WITH BOTH THOSE CARS…I’LL “ASSUME” (?)…YOU KNOW THE 422 MOTORSPORTS GUYS…AN AWESOME GROUP OF PERIOD “STYLE” FORD/MERCURY REAL RACE CARS…”DINK” BISHOP..RICH LAMONT & COMPANY…THEY PROBABLY KNOW A LIL’ BIT OF WHERE THOSE TWO CARS WENT IN THE “PHILLY” AREA…AL JONIEC LIVES IN AIKEN,SOUTH,CAROLINA…I HAVEN’T TALKED TO AL IN QUITE SOME TIME (SHAME ON ME !!)…ONCE AGAIN..IN MY HUMBLE OPINION…HE WAS A VERY,VERY PROLIFIC DRAG RACER…WON AN AWFUL LOT OF RACES BACK EAST…IN A VARIETY OF CLASSES/CARS…AND OF COURSE NHRA WINTERNATS’ @ POMONA..WITH THE ’68 MUSTANG COBRA JET CAR (HEY DINO…HARVEY WILSON….WAS “NEXT” SHOE…BUT HEY…YOU “KNEW” THAT!!!)…BESIDES ALL THAT..AL IS JUST ONE “COOL DUDE”…A REALLY GOOD GUY…AND WAY,WAY “SMARTER” THAN THE AVERAGE “BEAR”…I’M SURE HE’D BE HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU..AND WOULD READILY ANSEWER ANYTHING HE COULD…HIS PHONE IS 803-649-9086…JUST ALWAYS “LOVED” AL…JUST WISH/WISHED I HAD SOME OF HIS MECHANICAL “GENIUS”….JUST THINKIN’ ABOUT “BATMAN”…BRINGS BACK SOME VERY FOND “MEMORIES” 😆 😆 😆 (NOT “ALL” ARE “FIT” FOR ALL AUDIENCES!! 😆 😆 😆 )..A DIFFERENT TIME,PLACE…WORLD…A HONOR TO HAVE HIS FRIENDSHIP… 😀 😀 😀 DRAKE VISCOME… P.S. I DO HAVE SOME 8X10 B&W PHOTOS OF SOME T’BOLTS-AFX MUSTANGS AROUND…WILL “DIG” ‘EM UP AND SEND OVER TO YOU…MIGHT TAKE A DAY OR TWO TO FIND…

storm-king

Hey, Jodie! Glad to see you found your way here. Make sure you check out the history of the”Vindicator” cars here. I’ve always had a good deal of respect for the Ford racers; loved Bonner, Richey, Jonic, and others; but we’ve got one of the real good guys right here with Drake.

troublemaker427

Hey guys, thanks for making me feel welcome!! Drake I do know Dink and Rich from 422. We’ve raced our NSS cars with them on many occasions. I’ve talked to Mr.Joniec before. He is a very nice man. Last year at Ford’s at Carlisle they had Mr.Joniec and Mr.Bonner there with the ’68 CJ cars. I was on the starting line at South Mountain Dragway when they both made a “parade lap” in their old Mustangs. Well I’ll tell ya’ Mr.Joniec hasn’t lost a step!!! Don Fezzel now owns both cars and gave Al the green light to stand on it a bit. I heard Don say “if it breaks,we’ll fix it!” He was just supposed to drive down the track but instead he did a quick burnout,dry hop and launched that ‘stang!!! Those old Blue Streak Goodyears hooked pretty good and actually but air under the front tires!!! I was standing 5 feet away taking photos and I’ll tell you it was cool!!! He got back to the trailer in the pits and was grinning ear to ear!!! There was rubber on the quarter panels so I took a photo of it. Mr.Fezzel walked over to me smiling and said, “you won’t see that again anytime soon!!!” It was cool to see that $250,000+ concours restored piece of history pick up the front end and do what it was built for. Just like Pomona in February of 1968!!! I considered myself lucky to see that in person.
                        As far as I know the trail of both the Joniec T-bolt and LWG has gone cold and no one knows where they ended up.

Drake any photos you can come up with would be greatly appreciated. Your cars were all sharp and ran good too!! I remember reading your adds in the old Super Ford magazine. Do you still mess with this stuff? I think your Logghe Mustang funny car ended up with Carroll Morris who does our machine work. He sold it to Larry Short but I don’t know where it went after that.

Storm King your Dart is looking good. Do you think you will have it done for the NHRR next year? The Black Arrow stories are great. Sounds like Doc had the same problem Dave Strickler had. Everybody thinks they were Jenkins cars but they weren’t. He was the engine builder,tuner and sometimes driver but he didn’t own the cars!! This drives Mike Strickler crazy. Mike is Dave’s son and a good buddy of mine. He is also a drag racer and runs at Maple Grove weekly.

The site is great and I plan on posting quite a bit!!

vindicator
                        Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY JODY…THANX TO JOHN PARADISE/SUPER FORD MAGAZINE…WE HAD 20-25 REAL GOOD YEARS…SELLING NEW & USED FORD STUFF..IN JOHN’S AND MY WILDEST “DREAMS”…JUST NEVER IMAGINED…IT COULD BE SO GOOD… FOR SO LONG….THE LAST 5 YEARS (’95-2000) THE SUPPLY OF USED STUFF THAT WAS ANY GOOD…PRETTY MUCH DRIED UP…I’D BEEN AROUND THE FORD BUSINESS ALL MY LIFE…AND WUZ’ GETTIN’ A LIL’ “TOASTY”…JUST WASN’T A LOT OF “FUN”…ANYMORE…MY DAD DIED @ 82…HEALTHY EVERY DAY…SMOKIN’ ‘DEM PALL MALLS…JUST HAVE TAKEN A SEMI “BREAK” LAST 5-6 YEARS…WOULD LOVE JUST ONE LAST “CHALLANGE”… NOW SELLIN’ SOME SPECIALTY/RACE CARS…DOIN’ A FAIR EXPORT BUSINESS IN EUROPE…HAVE LONGTIME CUSTOMER/FRIEND… RUNE FJELD… GOOD EURO TOP FUEL RACER (SEVERAL TIME EURO CHAMP)…PROCURE/SHIP HIS STUFF..GO TO A COUPLE RACES ANNUALLY OVER THE POND…HIS WEBSITE IS RFMOTORSPORT.COM..TAKE A “LOOK”…OUR TWINS HAVE A PAIR OF NHRA/IHRA 10.90 MUSTANG CARS…THEY ARE IN 3RD YEAR COLLEGE…SO WHEN “SCHEDULE” PREMITS..WE RACE A BIT…ALSO HAVE ‘BOUT 80% COMPLETE NOSTALGIA PINTO FUNNY CAR…A COUPLE TOMMY GROVE FRESH FORD FUEL MOTORS…WAS DOIN’ WITH MY DAD..KINDA’ LOST INTEREST AFTER HE DIED…MAYBE GONNA’ DO SOMETHING IN THE FUTURE AS ONE LAST LAP @ THE DRAG RACE WHEEL FOR MYSELF 😆 😆 😆 …BUT MOST PROBABLY…MY KIDS’ WILL BE THE “SHOES”…AS THEY ARE NOW…I’VE HAD A LIFETIME OF AWESOME EXPERIENCES…JUST ABOUT 50 YEARS CONTINOUS…FROM MY DAD TO ME..TO MY KIDS…IT’S COST A FORTUNE… U…KNEW THAT…BUT WE’VE HAD A INCREDIBLE TIME..A WONDERFUL FAMILY BOND…AND MET/KNOW SO MANY GOOD…PEOPLE…THERE REALLY AIN’T NOTHIN’ LEFT TO “DREAM” ABOUT…I AM THE PROVERBIAL…LUCKY GUY!!!… 😀 😀 😀 DRAKE VISCOME

vbob
                            Participant

Hey
                                One more for you Mr.V !

‘V’ Bob

Attachments:

vindicator
                                Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY BOB…U…KNOW…WE LEFT OUR COOLER ON THE GROUND IN THE COMP PITS..IN AUGUST OF ’69…IT WAS FULL OF SOME PEPPER/EGG SANDWICHES…AND MAYBE ANOTHER “SUB” OR TWO…YA’ WOULDN’T HAPPEN TO HAVE IT??…UP IN THE ATTIC???…WOULD YA’???…BACK IN THE DAY…MOM WOULD HAVE TO BRING UP THE “EATS” 😆 😆 😆 …ALWAYS…”ITALIANO” STYLE…MY DAD WOULDN’T EAT DAY OR NIGHT… ANYTHING ELSE!!!..OL’ FRANK CUTILLO (THE RESIDENT “COP”) 😀 😀 😀 WOULD JOIN US PRETTY REGUARLY…BETWEEN 1 & 2PM…JUST THOUGHT…JUST MEEBE’ YOU “FOUND” IT…AND “SAVED” IT 😆 😆 😆 …ALONG WITH THE HOT “DAWG” FROM THE CONCESSION STAND…THANK YOU,BOB FOR THE PHOTO…AND REALLY FOR ALL YOU BRING TO THIS SITE…U…MAKE IT A FUN TIME…NEVER KNOW WHAT VIDEO BOB WILL COME UP WITH NEXT…’COURSE ‘DEM GUYS …U…HANG OUT WITH…GEORGE & JOE BRAZEE…CHARLIE BOUCHER…KEEP YA’ IN GREAT COMPANY…I KNOW THEY WERE WAY “SPECIAL” THEN…AND WE ALL KNOW… THEY…B…WAY SPECIAL NOW!!!…OL’ “IT JUST NEEEDS MORE NITRO/LEAD” CHUCK SABIS (HE CAN “TURN” SOME WRENCHES)…AIN’T NO SLOUCH EITHER…NO MOULD AVAILABLE…FOR ANY OF YOU GUYS…YOU’RE ALL ONE OF A KIND…IF ONLY…WE COULD GET A “DO OVER” ON THOSE DOVER YEARS…LITTLE DID WE KNOW…’DEMS…WERE THE DAYS…THANX AGAIN, FOR EVERYTHING… DRAKE 😀 😀 😀

vbob
                                    Participant

Hey
                                        Mr.V,the grinders are looong gone but the memories are still there !!!
                                        Charlie,George andbrother Joe and Chucky should make the DDS Fest!!

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Jody…I told ya so….Lot of info here !

vindicator
                                            Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY JODY & FAMILY…MERRY CHRISTMAS… HAPPY NEW YEAR…BEEN MEANIN’ TO CONTACT U…FOUND 8-10 BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS OF EARLY FORD S/S…A/FX.. EARLY FUNNY CAR…FROM AROUND COUNTRY…WHEN U GET A CHANCE…SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL…I’LL GET ‘EM OVER TO YA’ 😀 😀 😀 DRAKE

troublemaker427

Hi,Drake. Sorry I took so long but I haven’t checked this section in awhile!!! My email is troublemaker427@comcast.net . Are you planning on coming to the York US30 show this year? Ford is the featured make this year. Lots of old Ford drivers are supposed to be there.

I’m looking forward to the photos you found!!! Thanks 😛

dino
                                                    Keymaster

SEE NEW :”DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS ” FORUM HEADING …it’s starting to happen !

storm-king

Drake’s red Falcon has always been one of my favorite cars of the era. The quintessential early funnycar, except it was done very clean and looks right. So many of them you look at and go “Oh dear God, no way!” Drakes looks like, “Oh, hell yeah!”

patina
                                                            Participant

Jody welcome aboard. I remember seeing Phil (Georgia Peach) Bonner at Dover match racing someone and thats the first time in my life I’ve seen all FOUR WHEELS off the ground it was unbelievable. On a collectible note I to collect EDN and have about 24 issues, I have some COPIES of some and am looking for the issues I am missing if you have any doubles let me know.

Thanks Pat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.