STEVE KANUIKA SPEED SHOPS

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past STEVE KANUIKA SPEED SHOPS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant

HEY
        heres another!

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

V-Bob…Your collection never ends ! …of note…everytime you post a shot …”It opens another door’ …IF you look in the background…like here ! who’s “Mr. Z-28″ F/S from R & S …another Dover Guy to ‘ID” and Find ! 😀 OH ! as you would say….Steve Kanuika ? had more than one location…lets see if our guys can fill-in the info and I guess he was from like Hawiiaan Islands ?

vbob
            Participant

HEY

run that ct tag and find out who that is !!
                OH, RnS was something in Ct 2!
                OH,OH,got others outta that shop, the girls are off for the weekend, too hot upstairs for me!!

‘V’

anonymous

HEY Dino..V Bob
                    can’t remember his name…was from Danbury area…friend of Louie Sauli..thats why they are both together in pic…
                    Paul Galvin knew him also…
                    I’m talking about Mr. Z28…the yellow camaro was Louie Sauli’s

dino
                    Keymaster

Theres even more in that shot …Ford fairlane and a 58 chev. ……hmmmmm

vbob
                        Participant

HEY

do you mean this fairlane??…………………….Dead On with a 0[edit-dino]
                            ‘V’

Attachments:

cullyflower

I remember when Steve Kanuika opened up his shop in Concordville, Pa. it was in the bottom of a barn on route 1. He
                                had an altered wheelbase Mopar and a really sharp looking Willys blown and injected. I dont recall ever seeing either one
                                of them at the track. This was in 64 or 65 when he opened there. He had a brother Bill and they were together in a shop
                                before they split with Steve coming to concordville. He had the 37 willys C/G pickup that was well known for doing huge
                                wheelstands and also running good. Sponsoring Jungle Jim and Lew Arringtons Brutus funny cars really got his name being
                                noticed. After the willys he ran the Jungle Jim camaro team car in super stock C.

bossguy

The Semmes Ford Fairlane belonged to Tom Caldera and Jim Conte of Yonkers. Tom has Newport Restorations in Newport, California. Jimmy Conte and his son have a repair shop in Newburgh and race a Cobra Jet Mustang. Tom teamed with the late Nate Cohen on the “Nazy Crate” fairlanes. Both good friends of Drake.

anonymous

Hi Guys,

Some names from the past, Tom Caldera and Jim Conte of Yonkers. I was in the same car club with them in Yonkers and we raced alot with Jimmy “Whitey” and his brother Danny at Westhampton and NY National. Jimmy had a red Ford Fairlane “390”, might be the same car as the photo? Jimmy was real good with the epoxy for those cross bolts, haha. Had tons of fun with them back in the day.

Andy Panessa

bossguy

Hi Andy, I believe that was the red car. I stopped at their shop down behind Saunders (School st?) Tommy lifted the pan off the short block to show me the cross bolts LOL

vbob
                                            Participant

HEY

the doors flew wide open on this one!!
                                                OH ,Thanks a lot guys for names, places and car pics!!
                                                OH OH Very very nice !!Keep up the excellent job !!

‘V’

dino
                                                Keymaster

opps 😯 Another Door here…Just Heard from Victor Mengler ! …Ran a Black & white ’57 (Had blue headlights ! ) …61-62-E/S …I/S …Vic’s in New Fairfields AND older brorther of —-> Frank Mengler (in Brewster,N.Y. now )…that partnered with Bob Herman with the Speed Freak Camaro ….They bought it From Louie . Vics got early 60’s photos coming our way…Blown Hearse,hellzapoppin …and others. OH- He’s our Latest ODF Too…watch for Vic at Marcus. Got a call into brother Frank…left the ole “Attention in the pits” on his answering machine. Anybody know what happened to the car?….Maybe Frank or Bobby know. Check Bobby S. collection in ODF Gallery for more shots of the Speed Freak…still with Kanuika on the rear fenders.

bobby-s

time to V Bob to go up-stairs again 🙄
                                                        any pictures of Frank Menglers ’55 T-Bird ❓
                                                        with the set back chevy in it.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Sure ! The ODF Galleries…I lettered “The Mouse” t-bird .

cullyflower

I saw on the NHRA website that Steve Kanuika died on september 20.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.