SUPER PHOTO COLLECTION FOUND !

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION SUPER PHOTO COLLECTION FOUND !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Did a little digging and finally tracked down Richard Donofrio. Who’s HE ? you ask …Well just the ORIGINAL photographer of the early 60’s Photos in the Bob Swanson Collection. AND he has 100’s …Including the time he Rented a Plane from the Danbury Airport and did low level “fly bys “WHILE the races were being run. in 62 or 63. We only got about 1/5 of his collection from Bob ….But NOW we’ll get the whole ‘enchlada ‘with details on the cars ! . And Rich was a racer ON and off the Track. Hung out with the “TRI-CARBS” car club in Southern Ct. Did a “little”off track running with his Tri-power ’56 Chevy at the “Bridge” in Bridgewater ,Ct…. Anybody remember that ? Plus he helped out Owners Chet & Joe with the Danbury guys building the track ( Putting up fences,etc.) He shares our concern To ‘Save & Preserve” the record of the “glory Days ” of Dover. Didn’t want this collection to be lost someday. Sending the whole thing on CD. He is quite the camera buff… All these taken with High quaility Roli-Flex and Old Skool Big Neg. format . Another great connection made.

tomblake
        Participant

That sounds great. There seems to less of the early days. This should be a big addition the early Dover history.

anonymous

I was surprised you mentioned the “bridge” racing. A good friend of mine, Mel Ebstein rolled his 56 Chevy convertible off the bank at the end of the bridge one night. Later on, he and a partner, Teddy Fabryk, raced a 409 powered 59 Corvete at Dover.
                Both of them passed away a few years ago. That was interesting street racing until the State cops hid in the bushes one night and arrested evryone there. The bust made all the local papers.

Al Baran

dino
                Keymaster

Might as well mention it here as were on the PHOTO subject. Just Recived Richie Shotts personal collection with good ’63 stuff and some very interesting cars to ‘ID”.ALSO just got Patsy Judson’s Complete Personal Photo Album with More great 65-66-67 stuff. Her WHOLE Album And Shott’s will go in the BIG ODF Galleries But I’l post some things from both collections in their approriate headings ..I’ll note who donated them .

dino
                    Keymaster

Goofed here about the”Bridge” …its in Bridgeport as were the Tri-carbs who met at ‘the Duchess drive-in”

anonymous

Dino, I think all of our memory glands are getting a little foggy as we age. There was a bridge in central Ct. that was a quarter mile long across a river in a prettty isolated place that was notorious for street racing. The Duchess diner is on the Post road in Fairfield ( down the road from where I am right now) was also a hotbed for street racing. Some of the names that hung out there that raced at Dover were the Krajewski brothers and Dennis Kurmay who owned Dragmaster East. One of the photos in your gallery has a picture of his Dodge powered dragster.
                            Al Baran

dino
                            Keymaster

Hey …I just wrote down what Rich said on phone and messed up with Bridgewater…Got a LONG e-mail to him and am awaiting response.

vbob
                                Participant

HEY

Al,the Krajewski Bros. were at the 2008 Dover Drag Strip Reunion at Marcus Dairy !!
                                    You can see them with their ‘motor set back under the windshield” Maverick in the walk around video I took and it’s posted in the ODF gallery !!
                                    It’s towards the end of the video!

‘V’

dino
                                    Keymaster

Al…Dragmaster East…fill us in .I see photos of the Gold Vette,and am looking for the dragster shots. Keep the history , recolections, dates , and car info coming guys… I am using all the info to write more History And do the Big Video.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Rich travels a lot, but has that great photo collection . He’ll be getting back to me,and just sent this. Interesting view in color from tower.No hot car pits, dug out yet ,and notice the FIRST Tree…this one is the baby ,compared to the bigger “homebuilt” .Later in 70’s came the Chrondeks.Can you name the year ?

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.