THE PIED PIPER

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR THE PIED PIPER

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Who could forget the only 427 Chevy Wagon ever built that year. Tom Valentine sr. piloted the “scurge of B/S”. Tom conveinaintly had his own set of NHRA advertised weight and advertised horsepower “books”. He told them he needed a “spare” set, “worked for Dover” ….hummmmm. Was able to find Exact combinations offered by Chevrolet to order and be at the top of the class. How he ordered the Piper wagon. Photos to follow

dino
        Keymaster

Found one of many in ODF (T’O’Shea Gallery)…looks likeTom firin’ her up to pull out of staging lanes.

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

“With your masquerading
                And you
                Always contemplating
                What to do
                In case heaven has found you
                Can’t you see
                That it’s all around you
                So follow me

come on, babe
                Follow me
                I’m the Pied Piper
                Follow me
                I’m the Pied Piper
                And I’ll show you where it’s at
                Come on, babe
                Can’t you see
                I’m the Pied Piper
                Trust in me
                I’m the Pied Piper
                And I’ll show you where it’s at ”

‘THE PIED PIPER’ by Crispian St. Peters 1966, reached #4 on the Billboard charts … was
                probably the inspiration for Tom.
                …kinda takes on a new meaning now…….

tom-jr

:mrgreen: Hey dino – thanks for posting the photo of my dad. As you requested, I told my mother you said “hello”- and at 85 yrs old she remembers it all, and says “Hi,” back 🙂 As a matter of fact, my mom has a big, framed photo of this pic you posted below. I may have some Camaro pics, which, if I find, I’ll scan and post.

There’s also a picture of the original ‘black arrow’ 442 Olds that my dad bought from Doc Burgess from Wingdale.

Thanks for the great forum ! I look forward to participating and will spread the word.

Tom

anonymous

Who could forget the Pied Piper, especially us, we used to race him in B/S before Plain Busted. I think he ran lower 12’s with the car maybe 12 teens?

Andy Panessa

quote dinotheweirdo:

Who could forget the only 427 Chevy Wagon ever built that year. Tom Valentine sr. piloted the “scurge of B/S”. Tom conveinaintly had his own set of NHRA advertised weight and advertised horsepower “books”. He told them he needed a “spare” set, “worked for Dover” ….hummmmm. Was able to find Exact combinations offered by Chevrolet to order and be at the top of the class. How he ordered the Piper wagon. Photos to follow
                        robert

Hey to Dino and the ODF crowd,
                            I had the pleasure of working for Tommy Valentine in my younger years. He taught me how to drive ten wheelers and operate some of the heavy equiptment used in those days, even do repair work on them. He was a perfect gentleman to say the least, and would always give you the right answer to a question asked. I used to watch him work on his equiptment, cars, etc. He was a perfectionist, bar none. When he started to race at Dover, all of us would follow him up to watch him, hence the name “Pied Piper”. I learned a lot from him and miss him, as I’m sure many others due too.

dino
                            Keymaster

And the hits keep on coming……Got this note And photo today …never know what the mail-man will bring:

Dino,
                                I bought this ’66 427 wagon fron Tom Valentine. I was the 2nd owner. I raced at Dover 1968, 1969 & 1970.
                                This picture is from 1970.
                                Bosco Bancroft
                                Bedford hills,N.Y.

………………and ‘Bosco’ is a new ODF !

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1759 lets play connect the dots ! should have the complete history now of this car !

paul-ceasrine

‘The Pied Piper’,,

1966 Chevrolet Bel Air 427/425 HP (Engine Code L-72)

The 66′ Chevrolet Biscayne did not come through with the body side molding.

Just how many 1966 Bel Air Station Wagons were built with the L-72 4-speed.
                                        Besides ‘Sir Tom’ Valentine, a Bob Fox out of Indiana had one.

In 1966, 427/425 L-72 engines; a total of 1856 were built and put into either the;
                                        Biscayne (Approximate production; 785)
                                        Bel Air (Approximate production; 455)
                                        Impala (Approximate production; 613)
                                        Caprice (Approximate production; 3)

In 1966, a total of 52,775 Bel Air (2-Seat Station Wagons) and 14,444 Bel Air (3-Seat Station Wagons) were built by Chevrolet.
                                        No numbers on the 1966 427/425 HP Bel Air Station Wagon are available, but it looks like less than 10 were built.

The 66′ Bel Air Station Wagon with the 427/425 HP engine, one of the rarest Chevrolet cars produced.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Bosco said in the other Topic…”I sold it about 10 years ago to a guy that wreaked it on 684″…Update…Lee Valentine told ME …he’s building a copy of his Dad’s car.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.