THE PLANNING HAS BEGUN for the 5th

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 5th Annual DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS 2013 THE PLANNING HAS BEGUN for the 5th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Yes Fans…Were still putting away things in boxes & bins ….BUT Working on the Next One already.No major changes as we have fine tuned this thing to work, with plenty of compliments.This years 4th had O problems or complaints that I heard of.We Have the Best Track Crew and facility & support in place ,as witnessed in the last two years. Any suggestions or POSITIVE ideas are welcome in this topic……But be warned …If it’s silly or not constructive…you can expect it to be deleted ,so the topic doesn’t get cluttered and rambling.

Suggestions came in by Phone …Here goes:
        Couple of ‘suggestions’ coming in to “mull’ over….Lets think about them.Will they Hurt or hinder the event as we have it now? Most invove adding eliminators ,to futher break down the entries into defined groups .Here goes…..Now think-discuss,and will it benefit ALL> Add a “footbreak’ Eliminator…TRUE Footbreak. Divide DOVER VINTAGE and DOVER NEW into two each ….Dover New 1 12.99 and Slower-Dover New 2 12.99 or faster .Same For Vintage,1 & 2 ,basically to to cut down the rounds. We sure don’t want to confuse the racers OR the spectators. Heres A BIG change…ADD a 1/8 mile true “Run What Ya Brung” NOSTALGIA CLASS like they did In Fitchburg for the Orange Drags reunion and others like Jalopy Journal Drags ….less restrictions on Tech BUT being smart what we let run.THAT will have to be discussed with track managment as a Insurance issue.AND last …a 1/8 mile STREET ROD Class for street legal-street tire Rods & Customs. Ok …thats the things to ponder. Remember….will it hurt-hinder-confuse racer-spectator and above all alter a ‘good thing we have done for 4 years.Forgot to mention the specifics of “Run what ya brung” 1/8 mile “Nostalgia Eliminator” Idea. HEADS UP–No Handicaps And FLAG STARTER.

babycakes
        Participant

Sounds like a plan to me Dino.Only thing,I wish Dover 5 could be held sometime in mid to late Sept. But I guess that ain’t gonna happen.Oh well. 🙁

dino
            Keymaster

Cakes..I’ll Take That as “No Change” And heres what Frank M. said:

“GREAT JOB” doing the 4th But you already knew that
                Just keep this in mind.”If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” If you keep
                adding to the event, and have a weather issue 1 day, it will be like
                trying to fit 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb. bag Although, I must
                admit that you are very good at doing that successfully.”

babycakes
                Participant

Dino,I well understand what your saying.I know you look for suggestions from ODF members,but unfortunately,not all ideas,can be fit in the 2 day event is true.You,of course,have to make the final decisions,so it does not turn into a Chinese Fire Drill! Only thing I question is the last sentence from your reply.I’m hoping my thoughts are wrong,but the way it’s written,as if it’s a slight derogatory ‘bash’ towards me?

dino
                    Keymaster

Cakes >no-no-no…Last Sentance ? thats all Franks quote…I just said “I take That as “No Change’ “I’m Confused. About Sept. I agree…A little cooler…Problem is …Getting All the other Dates -schedules and finding A ‘Hole’ to Fill. Pat said last year to Set ours First and let the rest follow-Good thought. Still have to work with Cap Area Rods and not be too close to their Fall thing as a conflict and Check NHRA with Div.1 events And Track Availability.Got Syracuse Nationals-Goodguys and few others to find out.No Bash here …This is just where I put OTHER ideas (Not Mine) and see the response.

babycakes
                        Participant

Gotcha Dino,whew,thanks for explaining and clearing that up for me;and hey,by some luck in the future perhaps we may get the opportunity for an early Sept. meet for the Dover Nostalgia Drags;anyhow,thanks Dino for your quick response,I feel much,much,better,now that I know what you really meant.Appreciate it Pete (a.k.a ‘Cakes’) Take care Dino.

dino
                            Keymaster

Another Racer e-mailed and said to eliminate Dover New And Dover Vintage and do “brackets” …said the wait in lanes is too long with just two :”Old & New”…..? and haven’t heard ANYBODY responding positivly to ANYTHING 1/8 mile.Ok ….We’ll keep the topic ‘On the Floor” and see what else pops up.

dino
                                Keymaster

Looking around I found This for a race in Georgia. Talk about Confusing ..This is the “Gasser Elimin.” rules…they have Nostalgia Comp-Nostalgia SuperStock…and a bunch of others. it’s getting a Little out of hand.Think we’ll just keep it short -sweet and simple.

Nostalgia Gasser:
                                    index class from 7.50 to 11.00 open to all door cars pre- 1979. This includes straight axle gassers, left hand steer street roadsters, and all other door cars. Gas or Alcohol are OK.
                                    A/G- 7.50, B/G- 8.00, C/G- 8.50, D/G- 9.00, E/G- 9.50, F/G- 10.00, G/G- 10.50, H/G- 11.00
                                    ?>Cars and drivers may enter more than one class (only one class per category). Check schedule for run order. You must make calls without delays.
                                    All cars race in one 32 car qualified field. Qualifying at 10am and 12noon. Eliminations at 3pm. Non qualifiers may run Exhibition at 4pm and 6pm

HERES ANOTHER GOODIE: 😯

Nostalgia Super Stock/Nostalgia Muscle Car

Featuring 1972 and older Super Stock style cars and 1979 and older Nostalgia Muscle Cars running on indexes ranging from 8.75 to 13.00.
                                    AAA/FX- 8.75, AA/FX- 9.00, A/FX- 9.50, A/NSS-10.00, B/NSS- 10.50, C/NSS-11.00, D/NSS- 11.50, E/NSS- 12.00, F/NSS- 12.50
                                    A/NMC- 9.00, B/NMC- 9.50, C/NMC- 10.00, D/NMC- 10.50, E/NMC- 11.00, F/NMC- 11.50, G/NMC- 12.00, H/NMC- 12.50, I/NMC- 13.00

AND …They RUN REGULAR PRO AND SUPER PRO -1/8 Mile but run Sportsman 1/4 mile …like I said…getting out of hand.Then you go to the next event with Completely differant “rules”

tomblake
                                    Participant

Like Frank said “If it ain’t broke done fix it”
                                        We like the way it has been run but you never know someone might have something good to add (or something bad to screw it up).
                                        You could move the event further south Bradenton FL would be great (see I said someone could add something bad). 😆

vbob
                                        Participant

Hold race after Labor Day.
                                            Classes, Dover Vintage 1 -12.99 quicker

Dover Vintage 2 -13.00 and slower

Dover New 1 – 12.99 quicker

Dover New 2 – 13.00 and slower

Safety is # 1, Less heat, cooler temps,shorter staging lanes, safer side by side racing.

OH, I know of at least 10 race cars that did’nt show because of the hot weather or summer rental commitments!!After Labor Day is the way to go!
                                            ‘V’

dino
                                            Keymaster

OK V-MAN has spoken…doesn’t seem to be a biggie spliting it up …hows this 😉 ….For first and second round we call down Vintage and New BY the two times he mentioned THEN after the field is cut in half and half again we call ALL Vintage And All new for semi’s ….savvy? working on cooler date …gotta get with a couple of clubs and maybe a NHRAregular runeer here (Mas-Lee)can clue us in to when all the DIV 1 stuff is ‘done’ for the season…NOW we’re getting someplace constructive! V…’summer rentals ?

vbob
                                                Participant

Summer rental ,when you wait all year to spend $2,000 to$5,000 for a week at a summer vacation rental or for a summer trip!!!After Labor Day most are back to the grind!

‘V’

OH…that be your tent at the lake? 😆 [dino]

super-sport-pete

dino,
                                                        somewhere you posted that this was the best yet. IT AIN’T BROKE– DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX IT! it rained on sat. and it still was great.there were no signs of a “recession” at this race.other venues are desparate for spectators. i think the “WORD” just needs to get out among the fans more . supposedly the stock car stands at LVR next door are packed every sat. nite. maybe howie or wayne can get a couple of ” local” rivals to take their thottle stops off and have a 2 out of 3 7 sec. match race? anyway, ya done good.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

I’m Guessing by the lack of replies…we should “Keep Well enough alone” So’s ….if no one makes any major comments here…very soon ….I’ll just ‘prune’ down the replies & go on to other issues in this topic…OK?
                                                            We’ll be Pumping up the “Spectator” area Big Time next year..”THE BIG ONE IS COMING ! “We Have Two at Lebanon under our belt…the show is “On the Stage” …Now we’ll get the “audience” in place. ALBANY & PITTSFIELD our prime “Target Areas”.Got Some “Special Attractions” in the Works Too. Looking at Last Week Of August- Early Sept. …but don’t etch that in stone yet…plenty of schedules Not done yet.

Someone Said We Should do a “DOVER ORIGINAL” Elim. Well… by the amount in our “Parade” of Originals,there wouldn’t be Too Many. The Eliminators were hashed out for three years now,and 99% are all in agreement. Sept. would be great for ‘cooler’… Problem is getting a Date.That New England Hot Rod Reunion is in the middle and Cap Area Rods run at the end. I Hope the first weekend is Open …thats pushing it up a bit to ‘cooler. Our Oct race was freezing! Already in contact with Div. 1 Director for earliest info on his 2013 schedule.

tomatohead
                                                            Participant

…….. OK I guess like “DINO” said better say something now or forever hold your peace 🙄 😀 ❗ so any body got anything to say ❓ ❓ ……….. now as for me I ran in the “D4” class and my car or maybe me 🙄 😕 just couldnt get the shift down 😆 ❗ so for the 4th Race I went to auto trans and ran in “DV” and LOVED it ❗ 😀 ….. so I am good with just the way the classes are . so if you think dierent , then lets here it , here and now ………. see you guys next year at the race , …..maybe I can get to the finals next time ….. 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.