Tribute To Tom Iorizzo

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Tribute To Tom Iorizzo

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

WOW…. 😯 . .. . . . …. …. . did you hurt yourself on that ? go to Kitchen…Find wine ….Have a break with Guida!

paul-ceasrine

Dino,

What Tom Iorizzo was classed in;

1968 = H/Stock
            Just for those of us who like to remember.
            June 1968 National Record;
            H/S,,,,,,,,12.92,,,,,,107.39 MPH

Which, if I seem to recall, that black 65′ Impala (327/300HP) in H/Stock in 1968, could run under with regularity.

1969 = C/Stock
            March 1969 National Record
            C/S,,,,,,,,12.23,,,,,,116.12 MPH

Which, again, the 65′ Impala (396/425HP) seemed to run under without a problem.

paulie

don-kauer

Dino,

What Tom Iorizzo was classed in;

Just for those of us who like to remember.
                June 1968 National Record;
                H/S,,,,,,,,12.92,,,,,,107.39 MPH

Which, if I seem to recall, that black 65′ Impala (396/325HP) in H/Stock in 1968, could run under with regularity.

March 1969 National Record
                C/S,,,,,,,,12.23,,,,,,116.12 MPH

Which, again, the 65′ Impala (396/425HP) seemed to run under without a problem.
                Paul…Tommy’s black Impala with a 396/325 would hve run in E/S..I was with him alot then and the car had a small block for H/S…..The black Impala had many different combos and motors………..Fred will tell you the same 🙂 ..Don..

paul-ceasrine

Don,

Thanks for the correction.

More research, indicates that the 327/300HP engine in the 65′ Impala for 1968 season would indeed fall into
                    H/Stock (11.50 – 11.99 wt/hp) class.
                    Seems the NHRA adjusted the weight of the car from #3613 lbs. to #3570 lbs.
                    Car weight: #3570 lbs. ~ 300HP = 11.90 wt/hp.

But, the 396/325HP engine in the 65′ Impala would not fall into E/Stock in 1968 (10.00 – 10.49 wt/hp).
                    The Impala definitely fell down further, into either G/S (with adjusted Horsepower or Car weight) or H/S.
                    That car with the big block weighed in at #3788 lbs.

Tommy just had way too many engine combinations to keep up with……

And to confuse matters more, if that car was the 1967 AHRA National Record holder with the
                    327/300HP engine, then the car in 1967 AHRA would be classed in E/Stock.
                    Not sure I want to tackle the Camaro tonight,,,,,,, 😯

paulie

don-kauer

Hey Paulie…….I ran E/SA with my 66 Impala SS 396/325 in 67 and part of 68…I had people like Feola to deal with in E/SA, not to mention the rest of the Dover stockers …I sold it and started my M/P run with the Camaros.I never really won much at Dover but as soon as I left there I started winning…I ran AHRA at National Speedway and held a couple of C/HR F1,F2,F3 records…..It was fun out there……….I would sometimes pit with Tommy and Kenny Delco…Lots of laughs 😆

paul-ceasrine

Don K.

In 1967,
                            the E/Stock class had a bizarre weight bracket of (11.89 – 12.49 wt/hp.)
                            Yes, its true,,,,,,I have the NHRA Drag Rules Book.

Tom Iorizzo’s 65′ Impala SS 327/300HP car fit perfectly into that 1967 E/S class with an 11.90 weight/horsepower factor.

Sometimes, it’s not the car you run, but where your car fits into the class.
                            The E/S class record in 1967,,,,,,,13.03 @ 106.56 MPH.
                            Held by,,,,,,what else,,,,a 1957 Chevy Model #150, with a 283/270HP dual-quad,,,,

So, at least we know what Tommy was running in 1967.
                            And, it is possible that he may have tried Super Stock (SS/E) back in 1967 with the Impala.
                            in 1967, SS/E for cars with a weight factor of 9.48 and up weight/horsepower.
                            1967 SS/E National Record,,,,,,12.30

Don,
                            New York National,,,,,,,,had those odd classes, and many of them too.
                            My father in 1969 ran in K/S (at Dover and NHRA tracks), but at New York National (AHRA) was classed in
                            G/Compact,,,, 😆 ,,,,,,,,and 4 cars racing at the same time,,, 😮

dino
                            Keymaster

Paul…your in-depth studies are amazing ! probably know what I had for lunch and the exact calorie count 😆 It WAS awesome to able to get a 425 HP 396…and drive it home from the dealer….then run the p-ss out of it on sunday….maybe win too.

paul-ceasrine

Dino,

First year for the 396/425HP,,,,,called ‘The Special Mystery Engine’,,,,
                                    Mostly found in 65′ Corvettes, but could be had in the 65′ Impala and or Super Sport, as long as you had a sharp
                                    Chevrolet Dealership, and quick-witted Code-knowing salesman,,,, 😉

Crazy ass solid-lifter camshaft, and monster Holley carburetor.

Paulie

paul-ceasrine

Dino,

June 1968
                                        National Records;
                                        H/S,,,,,, 12.92
                                        F/SA,,,,,,13.11

Seem to recall, late in 1968 Tom Iorizzo was back running in H/Stock.
                                        And, I’m pretty sure Joe Kenney had just gotten the 62′ Dodge Wagon (which was in F/SA at the time).

And they ran each other in the Stock Eliminator Final,,,,,,,,

Want to know the results… 😉

paulie

charlie-irving

Tommy definitely ran in C Stock in 1967. I ran against him with my Chevy Nova 327 275HP. Definitely a HP vs Weight thing.
                                            I also remember Tommy’s 1964 Black Impala which he wrapped around a pole. That car was a beauty also. He had it towed to his house and did some work removing parts before it was junked. Enter the 1965 beauty.
                                            I believe that his brother Paulie ran in F/SA with his 1963 Impala SS. I remember Dino doing some lettering on that car at Dover.

Charlie Irving

paul-ceasrine

At least we now know, the Iorizzo’s had ‘2’ 1965 Chevrolet Impala SS cars running in 1968.

July 13, 1968,,,Dover Drag Strip,

Paulie ran a ‘black’ one in H/Stock (327/300HP) and won class, with a 13.17 @ 100 MPH.

And Tommy ran his 327 65′ Impala (w/hood scoop) in E/MP, and won class with a 13.05 @ 109 MPH.

Paul

fogman1941

I’m shocked and stunned. I didn’t know of Tommy’s passing until reading it here. During the years that I worked on his engines at Professional Machine – we became very close, and spent a lot of time together on and away from the track. No matter how hard the thrash was, we always managed to laugh. And yes, Lee’s post about what Tommy would run is true. To this day I still shake my head at the “*&^%$” that he made go fast. Of course a lot of it had to do with his driving ability. All who watched him have to admit: He was one of the best. It truly was a joy watching him drive. He knew how much I enjoyed watching and helping him as well. I remember one weekend in particular when he called me over to his car and pointed to the bottom of the front fender: He painted my name on as a thank you for all the work. A great driver, A great gesture.
                                                    In (about) 1999 After not seeing him for many years – I called him. He and his son stopped over my house. As soon as I opened the door – we picked up right where we left off. Unfortunately that was the last time I saw him. I come on this site from time to time to relive those Dover days – and I didn’t realize how great they really were until they were gone. And now, a very special person passes with them. So long, old friend. Until we race again.
                                                    Jim Mazzola

dino
                                                    Keymaster

For you ODF’s not familiar with Jim,click here:

Re: New Photos in the ODF Gallery! …over 650!

Tom AND Jim…Just Dover guys…that Dover wouldn’t be Dover without.

tommy-iorizzo
                                                            quote fogman1941:

I’m shocked and stunned. I didn’t know of Tommy’s passing until reading it here. During the years that I worked on his engines at Professional Machine – we became very close, and spent a lot of time together on and away from the track. No matter how hard the thrash was, we always managed to laugh. And yes, Lee’s post about what Tommy would run is true. To this day I still shake my head at the “*&^%$” that he made go fast. Of course a lot of it had to do with his driving ability. All who watched him have to admit: He was one of the best. It truly was a joy watching him drive. He knew how much I enjoyed watching and helping him as well. I remember one weekend in particular when he called me over to his car and pointed to the bottom of the front fender: He painted my name on as a thank you for all the work. A great driver, A great gesture.
                                                            In (about) 1999 After not seeing him for many years – I called him. He and his son stopped over my house. As soon as I opened the door – we picked up right where we left off. Unfortunately that was the last time I saw him. I come on this site from time to time to relive those Dover days – and I didn’t realize how great they really were until they were gone. And now, a very special person passes with them. So long, old friend. Until we race again.
                                                            Jim Mazzola

Wow. I remember that. I remember the supercharged Willys! Thanks for the nice words..

paul-ceasrine

Hey Jimmy,,,,,,,from Professional Machine,,,,,,,,,Hi,

Now if someone can list the cars Tommy and Paulie ran, we might be able to figure out that Iorizzo Racing Connection.
                                                                Going by photo’s and the Drag News Results,,,,,,,,,,I think I can come close…

1967,,,,,,,,,,65′ Chevrolet Impala SS 327/300 HP (E/S in NHRA, and 1967 AHRA National Record Holder)
                                                                1967,,,,,,,,,,(Also competed in SS/E with this car at Dover)

1968,,,,,,,,,,65′ Chevrolet Impala SS 327 (ran in F/G and then E/MP at Dover)
                                                                1968,,,,,,,,,,65′ Chevrolet Impala SS 327/300 HP (Paulie ran in H/Stock)

1969,,,,,,,,,,65′ Chevrolet Impala SS (ran in C/Stock) (From what I have gathered, a 427/425 HP L-72 engine was put
                                                                ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in the car)
                                                                ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The C/Stock weight break was 8.50 – 8.99 wt/hp. The car was claimed as a 66′ Impala, so it could get into the
                                                                ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, C/Stock class with a 427. The only differences between the 65′ and 66′ Impala were some minor body and
                                                                ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, grille changes, and the tail-light assemblies. The 65′ 396 and 66′ 427 Big-block Impala SS cars had the
                                                                ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, same shipping weight, so in reality it wasn’t really a stretch.

1969,,,,,,,,,,Tommy also ran in Super Stock (SS/J),,,,It could have been the 68′ Z-28 Camaro,,,or,,,??

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.