U.S. MULE…Don Noyes

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR U.S. MULE…Don Noyes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

It’s about time this famous Dover Regular had it’s own post-history topic. Heres Last Know photo of it ,as it’s loaded to go to new owner “onthe Coast” .Was in Bob Swanson’s care and restoration for 13 years.This is in Jan. 2007 in Ridgefield .Ct.

Heres what Bob remembers:
        “When Don Noyes parked the US Mule he removed the 392 hemi from the ’32 Roadster and placed it in the 1950 MG-TD and named this car The US Mule II and ran in modified Sports. Early on he ran THREE 4Barrels on a homemade intake any people that saw and heard it run say it was quite an event. Later on it got a 6-71 and fuel injection, and Don converted it to right hand drive. This was done to add his body weight to the right side to offset body roll on launches. I found the car 12 years ago and just haven’t had time to start on the rebuild’

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Bob said this on another Forum:
            “Here they are at the line at Dover, N.Y. Don Noyes in the US Mule and the Blown Hearse. Don swapped the US Mule for a Corvette sometime after building The US Mule II. I only went to Dover once in 1961 and remember them push starting the Blown Hearse as clearly as if if it happened yesterday”

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

Heres the MULE II …the one I remember and Bob restored:

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

Looking for more photos…Anybody ? got plenty of the “Mule” on FILM !

dino
                    Keymaster

Just found this in the ‘vault’…one of many Eastern Drag News issues sent in by StormKing.Got a lot to sort yet. Theres Don & “the MULE II” .

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

CLOSE-Up:

Attachments:

maso
                            Participant
                                quote dinotheweirdo:

Looking for more photos…Anybody ? got plenty of the “Mule” on FILM !

These are from the book: “Cool Cars, Square Roll Bars” Editid by Bernie Shuman; and I recomend it to anyone who wants a detailed look at the Hot Rod scene in New England with tons of old photography in the 1950’s

jvore

Here’s a shot of NOISEY, getting a eliminator spot at Napierville, Jim. 😎

Attachments:

maso
                                    Participant

The MG had two different roll bars in it’s history, a rounded one and a square one with round corners. Does anyone remember the funny farmer’s straw hat he used to ware…?

Go see this—>http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=136

jvore

Hey gang, in regard to the Don Noyes caption link, if that is Don, just what is he driving in that shot. It doesn’t look like either mules, the early Ford or the MGTD! Anybody got ideas? Jim :geek:

Attachments:

patina
                                            Participant

I thought the same thing. Its definitely NOT AN MG. In fact the car on the other side of the Willys looks more like the MULE than the car driven by straw hat guy.

Pat (MG owner)

maso
                                                Participant
                                                    quote patina:

I thought the same thing. Its definitely NOT AN MG. In fact the car on the other side of the Willys looks more like the MULE than the car driven by straw hat guy.

Pat (MG owner)

Hummm…

Well, I guess you’re right. I can see that the cowling is not rounded like on the Mule II, but that little plastic wind screen that only covers the S&W tachomiter had me fooled and Don Noyes did ware a straw hat for comic effect I guess and coveralls too actually. Stranger things have happened but I did get fooled on that one.

gramdog1
                                                    Participant

Maso, I don’t think the straw hat and coveralls were for effect, Don was a genuine hillbilly.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Hows this …From the Patsy Judson Collection

Attachments:

maso
                                                            Participant

Attn: Patina

Could this be yours…? I took this picture at Bradenton Florida in 2004.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.