was this Jay Brodericks ?

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR was this Jay Brodericks ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bobby-s

Was able to scan and get these pictures viewable ,
        What I can remember my brother and I purchased this car in Elmsford NY,
        The garages along 287 are still there where we picked it up.
        The story with the car was it us to be Jay’s car. We did not get any paper work relating to that. We got it running and things happened and we had to sell it. The picture of it with another at Dover named The MOOSE. I heard stories that it was raced for a short time than junked. Hope some of the new members can remember any thing. The one picture was when the car was at the car show in the old coliseum in NY in ’66. Gartlets was there along with Bennie & Della Woods and there BERNELLA dodge. I put a picture of that car in here also. (rest of pictures subject 2)

Thanks,
        Bobby Schlegel

Attachments:

bobby-s

The “MOOSE” & “BERNELLA” pictures.

Attachments:

maso
            Participant

Ummm…

I really don’t think that was it. My understanding was that Jay sold it to someone from the mid-west where it soon was damaged in a trailer accident. Jay was not in Elmsford. He worked in Mt. Vernon and lived up that way.

Maso

To see this picture better… Right click on it and choose “Save Picture as…” from the pop-up menu and follow the prompts. Then open it from your hard drive. Unfortunately, this web format chops the picture in half. So, if you do like I say then you will get the whole picture. 😀

maso
                Participant

I contacted Larry Nutson on this…

He was the crew chief on both Gramatan Dodges. Bobby Gallaghar had the first one and DNQ’d with it at at Indy in ’63. Jay came along with them as crew. Then Jay bought the other one. It was a “Ramchargers” car, but never ran by them, only used for exhabition and show purposes. They painted over the trademark red roof stripes and ran well with it.

Larry thinks that the car in your pictures might be Bobby Gallaghar’s. If it is… then I rode in the shotgun seat all the way to the track in Westhampton and back while in tow with Larry in 1963 in that car.

The two pictures that I have posted are not the same car. Both ’63 Gramatan Dodges were white and unless there was a paint job I would find it difficult to understand what you are showing us here.

larry-n
                    Participant

“Jay’s 63” was white and an automatic–so forget the car with the 4-speed and darker color.
                        When we got the car it was a Ramcharger team show-car and painted white with the red candy stripe roof. We painted the roof all white and campaigned it in 1964 with the “Art Dury ” scheme.
                        We repainted the car for 1965 with a red upper body and white lower with a big Dodge “triangle” logo on the doors . The car was sold to someone in Ohio in late 1965/early 1966 which I distinctly remember since we trailered it out there in snow!
                        We then got the ’66 street hemi which also was painted in the red/white scheme.
                        The Bernella car is interesting since it appears to be a 2-door “hardtop” and the first Bobby Gallagher ’63 Gramatan Dodge was a hardtop, and not too many ’63 ramchargers were built that way! When Bobby sold that car it stayed in Westchester somewhere–Mamaroneck or New Rochelle –I don’t recall.
                        Larry

bobby-s

Thanks to all for the information, I found these pictures of the day we we picked it up from the Ardsley garages and had it at the car show in NY. What I remember was over the years when some racers looked at the pictures they mentioned it might be Jay’s. My friend Tom Bonacore from yonkers, he usto be on the crew with Charlie Castaldo, remembers some thing but like everyone else not sure if it was Jay’s. By all the information coming in guess it was’nt Jays because of the stick. Just put the pictures out there of the altered wheel base car and the pin striping on the dash, to see if anyone might remember it, it is easy to see what it was. Thought maybe the picture of it at Dover might blow the dust off the memory cells. It’s good to put a brain teezer out there once in a while.
                            Thanks Larry,
                            Bobby Schlegel

bobby-s

Larry I noticed in the original message I did not mention that the color of the car was Gold interior also. Might make it easier to remember it.
                                thanks,
                                Bobby

maso
                                Participant
                                    quote Maso:

I contacted Larry Nutson on this…

He was the crew chief on both Gramatan Dodges… I rode in the shotgun seat all the way to the track in Westhampton and back while in tow with Larry in 1963 in that car. [ Gallaghar’s ]

Big suprise… There is a current news article today on the Internet at the MSN news web site about the “Woodward Dream Cruise”

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/landingpageindustryinsider.aspx?cp-documentid=601708&icid=602&GT1=22018

This is the event that our good friend Larry Nutson and his buddies started in Detroit several years ago. Bravo…!!! Larry…!

Maso

storm-king

That color shot of the Art Dury car shows my Dad standing outside the tow car talking to either Jay or one of the Rickman brothers. I sent that shot out to someone last year; and here it is! Glad to see it!

maso
                                        Participant
                                            quote storm king:

That color shot of the Art Dury car shows my Dad standing outside the tow car talking to either Jay or one of the Rickman brothers. I sent that shot out to someone last year; and here it is! Glad to see it!

I think it might have been me you sent that to. That looks more like Jay than either of the Rickmans.

storm-king

I think you are right.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.