WE Beat The Cheaters LEGAL

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST WE Beat The Cheaters LEGAL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Some guys never learn…If you built a cheater car and it never ran a national or record run event…chances are you had something to hide…..and most “in the Know” could see that. OR you put it legal all week before the “Big event” and switched it back. Funny How when we had a NHRA or IHRA race at relativly close track…E-Town,Conn.,Lebanon or on the Island …All these “other” cars would show up ,from those tracks knowing the legal Dover heavy hitters wouldn’t be there….and they “couldn’t” run at the event track. ..The TECH crew from the “Head Office” would be there.And most of the infractions we found NEVER really gave the guy any real advantage…A lot Lost to the legal guys anyway.The title of this Topic….How did YOU beat a cheater Legal?

dino
        Keymaster

Not one reply to this …..Is that telling me something?

mikey
                quote dinotheweirdo:

Not one reply to this …..Is that telling me something?

With threats and intimidation. No other way !! 😆

timh

The MODIFIERS B/D ALLEY OOP was a legal B/D, 301 cubic inch 1320 lbs, injected, on pump gas. we ran record meets at ISLAND DRAGWAY, YORK U.S. 30 both NHRA sanctioned. WE set a NHRA record at ISLAND in1961 at the time it was held by NELSON & MARTIN DRAGMASTERS, in CA. I dont recall the exact ## but i think there e.t. was 10 3s and we were in the 10.13 sec it was lowerd the next wk. I do not recall by who.WE ran a 9:98 at YORK PA and blew 2nd gear on the back up run. I have a story about the trip to YORK,PA. that will be in the proper FORUM : Tim

vanir97

Okay here is a story from around 65. We had a 65 Mustang /fastback/225Hp/4spd. We ran every class from C/S to H/S to C/FX @ Dover and elsewhere. We wre sponsored by West fair Ford, but had a lot of assistance from Ben Kaufman at Rye Ford (he was a parts guy).
                        The head tech guy (cannot remember his name ) was a member of FTA as were we. Each week we would come through with a different manifold/carb/cam/lifter combo and run another class. We knew who was legal, who was not. So one day in our class F/S comes this chevy wagon (towed to the track) with plexiglass windows, and a fairly gutted interior…Hey! I think, there can only be one semi-legal car in this class and it ain’t you guys. I bitch he leaves/returns with “real glass” and races in our class.
                        There were a lot of cars that were at best “on the edge” of the rules..some even stepping over the line. There was a guy running a 64 Mustang Coup that was so illegal that it was hilarious. another guy ran a 65 Mustang in B/S with a 289 and 2×4’s Hello!
                        Not to be proud of skirting the rules,,but in our time racing..we ran 289/225HP/2 barrel setup/4 barrel setup/ regular A code heads/Hipo heads/ after market cam/solid lifters that we adjusted down so there was no lifter noise. The readjusted them in the pits.
                        We knew who was doing what, and did what we thought was needed to keep up with the comp.
                        In H/S with a 2 barrel we were turning mid 14’s at close to 100 MPH, and ran every gear ratio from a 389 to a 513.
                        In C/S we actually went into the high 13’s at Westhampton (flag start). When we ran at Islip we would put in the 513 gears and almost go through all the gears…..

Before going overseas in early 66 out of LeJeune..we actually rove the car from Stamford to N.Carolina on a weekend pass just to race. The drove it back home the next weekend

dino
                        Keymaster

Cool stuff Van….64 & 65 were transition years with new rules and classes. I relize the “Gap Theory”, as guys tryed to do things and the rules were in the process of catching up with the latest “tricks”.

dino
                            Keymaster

New guys might not have seen this topic…I bumped it up to see some new input.

paul-ceasrine

Hey,

Is this thread still open.

I don’t like to name names, but I saw a lot of funny things go in and out of my fathers Machine Shop.

Some of the Engines came from Elmsford Speed Parts Center………….Legal……..I think not……. 😮

don-kauer

I usually don’t step in on this stuff but now I have to say something…….Casey ran out of and did his machine work at Speed parts Center even though Fred’s was all over his car….He was totally legal because I was with him many years…Bobby Laregina Speed Parts Center all over the car….Totally legal…Held NHRA Speed and ET records…………And there is more…Ronny is not alive to defend his reputation…..Not fair to shit on Speed Parts Center because of a rotten apple or two 🙁 ❗

dino
                                        Keymaster

Paulie …Don … sounds like two personal points of view.. we don’t really have all the facts…Might Never…But lets,…. let something you’ll never be able to prove alone. Lot of water under the bridge, since then…Paulies funny …I Don’t like to name names …Then He did.

paul-ceasrine

I didn’t name names.

I only said that ‘I Saw’ some funny things from the Engines that were brought in.

I didn’t name any of the Racers by name.

Not all, just a few that were ‘surprising’.

Ronnie was a good guy, who did say…. “Do it Legal, and do it Right”

dino
                                                Keymaster

Thanks Paul…And who knows “what’ was done back in guys garages by ‘Them”. Now ….Where Have You Been? and fill us in on some of your in great Facts …You WILL show at our Race this year -Right?

super-sport-pete

WHEN you work in a machine shop, a guy brings in a 327, says bore it .060, put in these “domed” pistons, the casting numbers are mutilated, when you deck the block, the I.D. numbers are ground off. a week later he brings in a set of PORTED heads to be cc’ed. the double humps are ground off, you take his money, and do the work the best your shop can, say thank you. you see the same guy at the track with his car, on the hood, “283/220 HP”. THE front runners were usually legal because they were torn down, etc.

bobby-s

Hi Paul ya good to see ya back, wondering how you made out with your friend out west that you said has/had pictures on my ’70 Rebel machine, hope to hear from ya.
                                                            Thanks, Bobby

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.