What happened to ”Big John Benson”

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? What happened to ”Big John Benson”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dover1320

One of the FTA members all I know is he’s dead I would like to know more about him. Brian M.

dino
        Keymaster

John was a Pontiac Man…Street drove his Racer to Dover and N.Y.National Speedway. Lived in Katonah,N.Y. HEY: TINY EGLIT any Help here !!!

dino
            Keymaster

Tiny gave me some leads I’m trying to track down…He married Wendy Kirchoff (Katonah) and they had a daughter. JOHN drove us (me-Terry O) in his Pontiac stocker to Indy in ’67 ,towing a pop-up Camper. Real (street-strip) ‘Run what ya brung guy’.Then he switched to a 4-door daily driver and flat towed racer.

dino
                Keymaster

BRIAN M. JUST “UNCOVERED ” more T.O’Shea photos!!!!!!! of The New York Coliseum Rod & Custom Show in 1969. Here’s “Big John” with his car in the Fairfield Timing Association display. Wow …photo treasure!

Attachments:

dover1320

Hey, Dino a friend of mine told me about John beating The YooHoo Wagon do you remember that car ? Brian M .

dino
                        Keymaster

Wayne Jesel -M/SA ’56 chevy sedan delivery out of Jersey. Originally painted Brown for his sponsor Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink. Later big verticle stripes, with big Ned oval on doors. Vitar automatic, Duffys engine.

dover1320

Hey, It’s Brian, that’s great work, . John was a big part of the FTA and a Pontiac guy like myself. Let me know what happens , he died way too young. Brian

dino
                                Keymaster

BINGO 😎 ….She’s up west of Albany… she E-mailed me !!! and is looking for old photos…Now on forum as ‘country bumkin’ … also her older brother in Florida is joining ODF ! ) . . . we bad ….we bad….

shannyb-goode

Hey, guys, I’m John Benson’s daughter, Shannon. I wanted to let you all know how neat it is to hear your memories about my dad and to know that you’re still thinking of him all these years later. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your memories of him. I still have his Dover Dragstrip tshirt, which I think Dino is pretty excited about! Thanks again!
                                        Shannon

dino
                                        Keymaster

Hey Girl ! I grew up in old Katonah with your Dad. Now I remember him vividly …quite a comanding voice. Came home from his driving duties at Reader’s Digest as chauffer to the big-wigs and got in the old clothes to thrash on the Racer. He had a Pile of Racing stuff on the walls of that garage behind H.H.Parks Gas Station (Gulf at the time). John would take frequnt trips to New York National Speedway on Long Island (Now a bunch of Condos) and always come back with a trophy. Went with him a number of times and always fell asleep in his back seat on the long ride home -way out in Center Moriches. Brian M. our ‘Track Histiorian” is already planning a trip to Mom’s house to visit & gather memories. We have our Dover CSI agents who specialize in differant area’s 😆 Thats how you ended up here ! Dino . . . . now about that shirt…..pant,pant 😉

dino
                                            Keymaster

Here’s John’s ORIGINAL NEVER WORN T-shirts …photos courtesy of his daughter…proof too of our trip to indy ’67.
                                                thats the Dover shirt I designed and used as concept for our new “remastered ” ones in the ‘store’. WAY COOL FIND thanks Shannon !

Attachments:

bobby-s

Thanks for the picture Shannon,
                                                    you hang on to that shirt by your e-mail
                                                    it means a LOT to you,
                                                    thanks again and keep checking in

bobby s.

paul-ceasrine

What was Big Johns 61′ Pontiac…….

Was that a 389/318 HP w/ ‘3’ deuces.

For some reason I’m thinking he ran in’
                                                        1968; H/S
                                                        1969;’ I/S

Ran 13.20’s.

pc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.