What Started Me On Hot Rods

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST What Started Me On Hot Rods

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

It was 1958…I was 10 and my Favorite show was 77 Sunset Strip…didn’t care about the stories Just Had to see Cool daddy-o Kookie and My all time Favorite hot Rod “The T-bucket” He drove. “Like Wows-ville Dad”
        Lets click here to see It and a little history :
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4bMyrKxRdQ …..it’s all his fault !

maso
        Participant

bobby-s

Dino

same thing for me loved the car, 😉
                a lil young to look at the babe’s 😳

here is my T before I put the rag top on it,

notice this one I put the door on the pass side,
                this was calif T body from out there somewhere
                more room than the std T bodies. The door
                saved a lot of burnt nylons & jeans..

was fun till you tried to make turns a lil fast and the rear
                wheels loved to come off the ground, not ‘vette rear in this on
                good old GM 10 bolt.

Attachments:

jimbo

When I was about 11 or 12 years old I would stop everyday on the way home from school at the exact same small variety store and read all the magazine on the shelf.

At that time in the late 50’s and early 60’s the names of the magzines were Speed & Custom, Custom Rodder,Customs Illustrated, How to HOP-UP your engines, Custom Craft, Car Speed & Style, Rodding & Re-styling, Rod & Custom, Rod Builder & Customizer and there were many more. Since I had no money at the time the next best thing was to sit there and read all the stories page by page and I learned alot just reading these stories which really started my interest in cars.

The owner of the store I guy named Joe would come over and say Jimmy are you going to buy a magazine or just read them again today!!!!!!!

I told him that I did not have any money to buy anything. He told me that if I would clean up the store and sweep the floors and things like that he would give me a magazine each day for helping around the store.

The magazine only cost .25 cents each but that was more money then I had each day so I agreed to work for him each day after school.

Long story short I still have piles of old car magaiznes from 1957 up to the currect time.

My wife is right!!!! She said you have never thrown anything away all these years.

I guess I am Car Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dino I have stories on cars from the Connecticut and New York area from the early 60’s including one I was just looking at from July 1961 on the Bee Line 40 Willy’s when it was black and had a Hillborn injected Olds engine and it had just set the A/GA class record at 109.75mph in 12.6 seconds. Many great cars of come out of the Bee Line Automotive shop over years.

I believe that is where Gene Terenzio started out along with John Lopiano and a few others.

When I get some time I will send the pictures from the magzine which was Car Speed & Style.

Jimbo

dino
                    Keymaster

Yes …Scan And E-mail …Copy & mail ..Send & I’ll copy & return..Whatever…Great Historical stuff for the “stills” in the Big Video Project !….Story Is just the way A lot of us remember …thanks for ‘rekindling’ the “Are You Going to buy it -this isn’t a library” line WE ALL heard.

storm-king

Old “Kookie Car” owner/ builder Norm Gabrowski is still very active in street rodding, lives in Arkansas. I met him a few years ago in Tulsa and have to say, he is some guy. The moment you meet him he treats you like you’ve been friends all your life. Great sense of Humor. We need more guys like him!

maso
                            Participant
                                quote storm king:

Old “Kookie Car” owner/ builder Norm Gabrowski is still very active in street rodding, lives in Arkansas. I met him a few years ago in Tulsa and have to say, he is some guy. The moment you meet him he treats you like you’ve been friends all your life. Great sense of Humor. We need more guys like him!

He and Tommy Ivo both had acting careers and both had simmilar cars and both raced them occationally at Bakersfield, I think. I wonder if they ever lined up against each other…

maso
                                Participant
                                    quote storm king:

He and Tommy Ivo both had acting careers and both had simmilar cars and both raced them occationally at Bakersfield, I think. I wonder if they ever lined up against each other…

Bruce Hertel sure got to the botton of that question for me with this link:

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/the-great-1950s-t-bucket-rod-rivalry/

Check it out…!

vbob
                                    Participant

HEY
                                        Found this up in the attic under T!
                                        Pomona Winter Nats 1993!
                                        ‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

likes like the original “Big T ” model remember that?
                                            1/8 scale came out in 1962 ..worth about $350. now if still in the box -unopened.

Attachments:

gramdog1
                                            Participant

Maso’s older brother had a ’39 Ford coupe with a “full-race” tri-carbed flathead. It had high compression and a lousy starter and we push started it all the time.
                                                I was 14 or 15 and loved every minute. 😀

mikey
                                                    quote dinotheweirdo:

likes like the original “Big T ” model remember that?
                                                    1/8 scale came out in 1962 ..worth about $350. now if still in the box -unopened.

I had one, but it was green. Had it for several years. Then we got a new dog, and somehow she got a hold of it and just beat the crap out of it. I was so angry that I left the house for a while so I wouldn’t hurt the dog. 😥

maso
                                                    Participant
                                                        quote Gramdog1:

Maso’s older brother had a ’39 Ford coupe with a “full-race” tri-carbed flathead. It had high compression and a lousy starter and we push started it all the time.
                                                        I was 14 or 15 and loved every minute. 😀

It’s funny but… I have forgotten all about that car until the GramDog just now reminded me of it. I don’t even remember any of the details of the engine. I don’t think he kept it for a very long time. We had so many V8 flathead Fords in our family between my brother and my father.

It was the GramDog who got me started on the Drag Racing stuff.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Hey this is Fun! WHAT STARTED YOU ?

patina
                                                            Participant

12 Volts 😆 😆 😆

P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.