What were these patches?

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION What were these patches?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    olcurmdgeon

I found this patch at the Thompson Raceway years ago. I don’t remember them from Dover when I went there in the early 60s before Uncle Sam sent me overseas. I was told by one fellow they were special patch given to participating car club members. Or I guess they could have been concession stand items? Or was this an actual car? I have always liked it as we had a “swoopy” chute pack body on our rail (pic posted on another site forum here). I think of the Greer Black and Prudomme car everytime I see one. Patch is 9″ long and 4″ high. Anyway if anyone has knowledge of these, I’d like to hear.

Attachments:

maso
        Participant
            quote olcurmdgeon:

I found this patch at the Thompson Raceway years ago… I have always liked it as we had a “swoopy” chute pack body on our rail (pic posted on another site forum here). I think of the Greer Black and Prudomme car everytime I see one.

Would make a good avatar here too… eh…???

olcurmdgeon

Maso, I use it as my avitar on JalopyJounal. The car, basic roller, came from swap meet at NED. House painter from Hingham had to take it for painting a barn as the guy couldn’t pay him in cash. So he trailered it up to NED for a nostalgia event swap meet. We were running this car at the time with the flathead in it, found a guy to buy the Fiat that day sans motor and bought the rail. The car had a nice old style aluminum body. Later we found the swoopy body, fiberglass, with a chassis at a swap meet and it unbelievably fit perfect over the body on the rail and we used the tonneau cover snap screws from the original body to hold the new on on. Car had cut down chrome 32 Ford spindles so it was an early 60s car, pre-P&S spindle days. Here is a pic of the rail’s predecessor.

dino
                Keymaster

Smokey, Skip, Grover, Hemihead,….I kinda remember these patches…first one to surface here …got some info ?

maso
                    Participant

How cool would it be if Dino could duplicate that patch for sale on this web site…? 💡

dino
                        Keymaster

Thats Embroidery…Now adays …original art is digitzed to the ‘cassette’ that tells equipment what to stitch. That costs some up front money …then each color is extra …then item is priced by number of stitches per inch.The bigger it is …the more stitches…the more money.These types of reproduction as with silk screening and most printing is designed and priced for quantity runs of at least 100 or more to make it worth all the set-up charges . Times have changed for pricing and old technology to do something like this in a small run ,without any guarentee, you’ll even break even. Got to watch my pennies here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.