Willies collection / Lions Dragstrip

Forums Forums ANY OTHER PHOTOS Willies collection / Lions Dragstrip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    340swinger
    Participant

The Willies collector opened up his museum again for a tribute to Lions Dragstrip. This track is a real big deal to these guys out here in Southern California.
        This is the track that spawned the birth of the rear engine dragster after Garlits’ infamous clutch explosion in 1970.
        Note the old Lions sign, a lot of people don’t realize that the ” Lions ” in Lions Dragstrip was for the Lions Club. Keep them off the streets kind of thing.
        Garlits wanted that sign donated for his museum but it wound up here (10K later.) Tom “The Mongoose” Mcewen was here, if I could have gotten close
        to him I’d have asked him if he remembered Dover. Enjoy the photos!
        Bob Hoffman

Attachments:

340swinger
        Participant

A few more.

Attachments:

340swinger
            Participant

Still more.

Attachments:

tomblake
                Participant

We never got to race at the original Lions dragstrip but Mary won the Lions reunion race at LACR Palmdale CA back in 1988. We moved to CA a little to late to race at some of the cool and historical dragstrips that were in CA.

Attachments:

340swinger
                    Participant

Wow, that’s great Tom I never knew you lived out here. I ran at LACR right up until the last day 7/29/07. I don’t remember going to the Lions race though, I may have been at a wedding, I got married in 88.
                        Bob Hoffman

john-sachs-sr
                        Participant

Started match racing in Cali in the fall of the year. I ran the Lions track, first time, back in 1968 with my AA/GS Anglia. First track I’ve ever run on that had a wall on each side of the asphalt. Seemed scary at first. 😯 😮
                            John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.