Willys gasser lover

Forums Forums NEW GUYS…and girls Willys gasser lover

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Hi! My name is Pete Stager now retired.Back in “62”to “64” my partner Bill Novotny and I ran a “B” gas Willys coupe called BABY CAKES which had much luck and success racing at ‘ Dover’ and other Eastern tracks.Many thanks to Dino and Brian Marasco for rekindling the past of ‘Dover’ Dragstrip and it’s “Golden Memories” to live on.

dino
        Keymaster

Hey Pete …Welcome Aboard…Put Willys in search feature .You might be pleasantly surprised !
            oh…click on this:
            http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2447&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=willys

Attachments:

patina
            Participant

Pete its about time you showed up. 😛 😛 😛

Pat

pauljbayarinas

hey buddy remember this DONT BOTHER TO BALANCE IT WELL BE BACK AGAIN NEXT WEEK you said to semeneck 😉 good to have you on the forum

dino
                    Keymaster

Hey Pete…Ya didn’t tell us about THIS…Brian sent me a whole batch of goodies and this was buried in the mix .Noticed YOUR name as driver.

Attachments:

babycakes
                        Participant

Yes Dino,the good ole days.That’s me on the left,and my ‘boss’ Ross Johnson on the right.I sold my 57 Chevy C/MP in 69.Working at the dealership (total 42 years) as a mechanic,a few years in parts,and eventually asst. service manager.My buddy Bill was the service manager,and always a partner in our drag cars that we built (your fimilar with”Baby Cakes’ Willys).Anyhow,in 69 a white Boss 302 Mustang ‘stock’ vehicle was used as a ‘demo’.I still don’t know how I convinced the ‘boss’ to run it at the drags (Lebanon Valley) with magnetized signs on the side of the dealership’s name.Well,needless to say,I won the G/stock class and presented him with the trophy.This lit the flame and in 70 he ordered a new Boss 302 Mustang to run,with $$$ restriction budget to set it up for the drags in G/Stock.Always running ‘Chevy’ small blocks,this was a challenge of a ‘Ford’ stock engine to make it competitive against mostly Z28 Camaros! Alot of late hours spent on suspension setup,and rear ratios,not to mention jetting and timing settings.We ‘finally’ got the setup,and was only beaten once by a fender of the Barnett Z28 camaro record holder at that time.We ran the car between “Dover” and the “Valley”for only 1 year.The Mustang was completely rebuilt and put back to ‘stock’ and sold as a used car,and when sold,the new owner was told of it’s history,along with a warranty.The next year I built a 327/250h.p.(balanced and blueprinted) to put in my stock 64 Vette coupe (with 3:73 gears) ,and took out the original 365 h.p.engine to run H/S and ‘drive’ it to the drags (it had the knock-off wheels).It had a blow proof clutch and bellhousing also.Lots of fun and some success running Dover and many other tracks including way down at Atco ,N.J.I did this 2 years,and finally started pitting for friends of mine who ran roundy-rounds(a ‘dirty’job but fun also).

dino
                            Keymaster

Do we have a photo of the ’57 M/P ?

babycakes
                                Participant

Yes Dino,I do have a photo of my 57 Chevy C/MP at the 68 Spring Nationals at ‘E’ town (just finished it 2 weeks before) New Jersey,with ‘shoe’polish lettering.I don’t know how to ‘scan’ photos yet (I’m back in the ‘stone-age’ ) so I’ll make a ‘copy’ today,and mail it to ya,o.k.?

dino
                                    Keymaster

Got It …BabyCakes II ….In Jersey….Petes says:
                                        ‘ The Body was a Barn Find,two miles from the shop.Turquoise -210 2dr.H.T. stovebolt 6. 3 on the tree. $75.took it home, in fall of ’67.Added 301 c.i. with tunnel ram,two ‘650’ Holleys,T10 4-speed, 6:14 gears” . Said he knew Billy Milano well ( The chevy powered Mustang being restored). Billy gave him the rear,knowing Pete was on a tight budget.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                        Participant

Hey Dino,thank you for posting the picture of my 57 C/MP.Bad news at the 68 Spring Nationals for me at that event.Went 2 rounds and discovered internal water leak in no#6 cyl.Had a set of Mondello ported and polished heads,and apparently a crack in the right side cyl.head port passage,ended my dream of winning my class;hey,but that’s what happens when you take the gamble of ‘used’ racing parts (heads) I had purchased.Still a ‘good’ time watching the ‘Big Dogs’ running the Spring Nationals.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.