YOUR FIRST RACE CAR

Forums Forums Original DOVER RACERS "BIO’s" YOUR FIRST RACE CAR

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Well Here’s Mine… Street & Strip…Drove to Katonah,N.Y. train station with it every morning to go to School of Visual Arts in NYC. Then “IF” i got chance after or before announcing…I’d take a blast down the Dover 1/4. My first experiance on the track. Hurst 3-speed-272 Y-block,Blue Plexi windows-surfer Decals.and pinstriping on hood and deck.Never had the money or time to sand and trick paint it out.Oh-mag wheels of course….Cragar S/S ….jus like my current Trick Truck…Lets See your First Race Car!.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
        Participant

My first race car was my brother Jimmy and my 55 Chevy. We bought it in our junior year of
            high school in Nov. 1965. We went to different high schools so every other week I got to drive
            the car to school. . 😆 We paid $250.00 for it. It had a 283 ci , 3 seed on the floor (Foxcraft shifter). 😮 After graduating high school, my brother bought a 67,SS396,4 speed off the show room floor and I kept
            the 55. I bought a 327 ci GM crate motor, Ansen shield and Mucie 4 speed and that started the ball rolling.
            We street raced the 55 until we thought we’d try Dover to see how fast the car actually was. 😆 After
            that we were hooked on drag strip racing. 😀 I still have the original marker plate. 😀

Frank… 😎

Attachments:

kman
            Participant

The 55 wagon givin’ up the small block (327-365) to go in the 55 sedan … the wagon was first race/street car … fun, fun, fun ….

kman
                Participant

True story with the 55 sedan …. an across the street neighbor sees me messin with the 55 wagon at the girlfriends house … he says do i want a car… his father needs room for the garden and its got to go … i says … Al .. what you got…. for years i never dreamed there was crap back there.. looked like a jungle.. anyway, i say yeah sure.. i’ll take a look… so i go back there and i see a 55 up to center rim in mud … and so .. how the hell am i going to drag it out… so… my father in law at the time owned a iron work shop in new rochelle… so we take the big truck and drag the damn thing out… pull it into his yard and its got a 409 in it… at the time the small block was in the 55 wagon… so we swap it out and trash the 409…. what the hell was i thinkin’ ??? … but.. back in the day.. thats just how it was…. 327… big deal.. 409 obsolete.. crapola… dime a dozen…. ahhhh.. fun, fun, fun….

kman
                    Participant

Anyone else ?????

tomblake
                        Participant

Opening day we started with the family car, the 59 Ford. The first real race car was the 55 Chevy. When we started it was primer and spotted with colors. In 1965 it had progressed to painted and lettered orange race car. Sure was proud of the old 55, they were the good old days at Dover. And the last picture is the copy of that first race car. The first car had to weight 3875 with the 283 to run in E/G. The copy, 1st time to Lebanon Valley weighted 2475 with a big block.

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

don’t you ever sleep? 3:02 AM< !

tomblake
                                Participant

Getting too old to waste time sleeping. Got to many things to do to stop for long.

bobby-s
                                      Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.