BABY CAKES Gasser Found

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR BABY CAKES Gasser Found

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

by Babycakes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 am

Just got back from Jersey for Xmas with relatives and got a nice ‘surprise’ package.Since 1968,I’ve been trying desperately to find our ole Willys B/G ‘Baby Cakes’.A few month’s back,I got a promising connection (although still skeptic).Well,it’s ‘alive’ and well’! It went through another owner in Pa. He bought it in ’72’,and get this,he’s been trying to reach me for years! How he knew it was our Willys,was while sanding down the doors,our ole lettering (Baby Cakes) appears,imbedded underneath the coat of paint,which was white (we had 49 Merc,’Alberta-blue’).The person we sold it to,painted it white,and ran a big block Chevy.When he bought it,it was in ‘ruff’ shape.Made it a ‘street’ rod in the 80’s,and now going under restoration again,with a Fat-Man Chassis,9 inch aluminum Winters 4 link rear,Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes.He also located and installed a ‘steel’ 40 nose.He sent me a ‘few’ photos of it,past and present.I don’t know how to scan them,to put on the ODF forum.I’ll be heading down to Kingston in a few weeks,and will ask Brian M. if he could do it for me.Remember,it still has a way to go yet,for complete restoration.Bottom line,I couldn’t have gotten a better Christmas gift then this! My partner Bill doesn’t know about this ‘yet’. His birthday is Jan.10th,he’ll be 80! This will be his ‘surprise’ birthday present! No doubt,this ‘MADE MY DAY’ !!!!

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

by TomBlake » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 am
            Pete……That is exciting, finding your old car. Can’t wait to see the pictures.

by mikey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:08 am
            That’s really great, Pete. That is really a heck of a Christmas present. Can’t wait to see the pictures. …………Mikey
            mikey

by Babycakes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 pm
            Thank you ‘very’ much,Tom and Mikey! It’s been a ‘long’ time (65) when we had to sell it; me drafted,and my partner Bill with 6 mouth’s to feed,just couldn’t afford to keep it.I assumed for many many years,it was crushed up in the ‘bone’ yard. I am so happy it’s still ‘ALIVE’,and in good hands! And to see what it looks like presently,(even though just 1/2 restored in it’s present condition) is a ‘feeling’ of warmth and happiness I can’t describe,to see it once again in my lifetime guys! The ‘original’ owner we sold it to in Pa. now lives somewhere in Maryland. The ‘new’ owner is trying to track him down for me,and possibly get some photos of it when he ran it in the late 60’s and 70’s. As I mentioned;I’ll be down in a few weeks in Kingston.Hopefully Brian M. (Historian) will scan them for me to put on our forum for you to review.Again,Thanks guys for thinking of me.Again,what a ‘GREAT’ Xmas gift to receive! Bottom line,’never give up the search’!!!!

bossguy

That is GREAT News Pete!

frank-j-majauskas
                Participant

Hey Pete, How COOL is that ❗ As you said,”What a Great Christmas present”…
                    That is probably bringing back a lot of old memories… Like you said, “Don’t ever
                    give up hope”… At car shows, I still display a picture of my stolen “55 Chevy.
                    You never know ❗ I’m real happy for you Pete ❗ ” HAPPY NEW YEAR” ❗ ❗

Frank… 😎

bobby-s

That’s great, good things come true. Hope you three maybe 4 of ya’s if the owner from MD joins in what a great day of bench racing that could be. Sound like the pictures he sent you are awesome. Enjoy & Happy 80th to your partner.
                        Bobby

babycakes
                        Participant

WOW!!! What a ‘great’ and ‘beautiful’ response from all of you guys! The ‘icing on the cake’ to say the least! Your the ‘greatest, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! No doubt,all of you know how I feel for the love we have for our ‘hot-rods’,both past and present!

john-sachs-sr
                            Participant

😮 😀

dino
                                Keymaster

Mail Man Just Brought The Photos…I’ll Do these on ‘chronological” order.
                                    First shot is in 1972 when first purchased…notice the paint & lettering change.It Still had the “Babycakes original floor & firwall…By the color & lettering..other photos ‘could’ be tracked .

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

….moving right along….This is from late seventies. Still has Babycakes original Cal Custom glass nose….it’s now a steet rod with a small block chevy.

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

From the 80’s through 2008…primed street rod with a ’41 Willys glass tilt forward one piece front end.

Attachments:

dino
                                            Keymaster

fast forward to to 2010….present owner starts a complete ground up rebuild. Original ’37 was rusting out.Here’s the new rolling chassis, with 9″Winters Rear hooked to a 4-link suspension …stainlees steel front suspension with Wilwood disc brake set up.

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

Latest Photo from 2012, shows the new steel ’40 nose and everything sitting on new chassis….a way to go yet. The old shot, is last year it ran in 1964….’37 with ’41 glass nose.Hilborn injected 283 with T-10 4-speed and 6:14 Olds Rear…..the Coupe that won’t die!

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                    Participant

A big “THANK YOU” Dino,along with Brian M. for posting these photos on the ODF forum! Your the ‘best’!!! Though ‘Baby Cakes’ will never be the way both Bill and I had it, it’s a bittersweet feeling,that it was resurrected to a ‘street-rod’,and most of all,still ‘ALIVE’ !!!! Appreciate this very much guys! Pete 😀 😀 😀 😀

babycakes
                                                        Participant

OOPS! Almost forgot; click-on last photo what it looks like today,below it’ll appear what it ‘originally’ looked like in ’64’ coming off the line! Good ‘ole’ memories!!!

frank-j-majauskas
                                                            Participant

Hey Pete, It looks SWEET ❗ It doesn’t make any difference if it’s the old style
                                                                look or the modern style look, you gotta love them Willys ❗ 😆

Frank… 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.