BLACK ARROW CLONE ( street version built by Smrtic for Doc)

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR BLACK ARROW CLONE ( street version built by Smrtic for Doc)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Stormy …guess you’re right…seeing as how Marco is the ONLY one to attempt the project. Maybe if that Street clone shows up…it’s almost all there to finish off.

bobby-s

When I found the dragster I was not sure how to redo it and show it, as an old slingshot dragster or? When I started to get more of the history of her, I wanted to keep the HELLZAPOPPIN image going; with the few pictures of her with the injected motor I was able to get the original look. Dode Martin & the late Jim Nelson were a big help, Dode sent me pictures of a Mark II chassis still in the jig from 60-61. This is the same chassis as the original Moon dragster. With the specs from Dode and the gifted talent of Bobby LaRegina the chassis was put back to original. When I talked to Dino about my t-shirt art work he out did himself as always. We had a long talk over the wording to be included. I decided since it was the original chassis to mention that and was campaigned by Ron Abbott and restored me (my name). I am happy as hell when people come up and see her they mention they remember Ron at Dover or the valley. I hope the Black Arrow tribute car has the same results when it is seen by people who remember Doc and the original car in any of her stages.

storm-king

Well, Bobby, you’ve done a great job with Hellzapoppin’. Of course; you’re working with the real thing. Anyone could see how small differences on your car could be attributed to the changes it went through in its competition life. The ‘Arrow simply doesn’t exist anymore. The car that had once received it’s remaining components Is not even a ’65 Plymouth, its a ’64, it doesn’t have the original block, its four linked with a Dana, and even the lightweight sheet metal came from some other car, as we had sold the ‘Arrow’s original stuff, which went out west, and bought different metal from Jerry Stien from some unknown 990 car.
                It would be nice of Marco to mention in his info board that the ‘Arrow never belonged to Jenkins, that it was Doc’s car, and I don’t think that diminishes Jenkins accomplishments with it one bit. But as I said, its his car, it needs to make him happy, no one else.
                I saw your car at Bowling Green last year, it is excellent! I’m glad you met up with Hog Mountain Dave and the Hellzapoppin’ altered coupe gang. Great bunch of people!

340swinger
                Participant

Bob checking in here from the West coast, I moved out here in the late 70’s and have gotten to know Bob Lambeck quite well. I called to congratulate him on his son’s recent comp. elim. win at the finals here in Pomona, we got to talking about driving and various drivers and he told a little story about Bill Jenkins that I thought topical. Back when Bob drove for Dick Landy, the Chrysler reps. would tell their drivers that if Jenkins showed up and he was running good, they had good shot at him, but, if he wasn’t running good he was trouble. The reason being,if he showed up running bad,he’d get it dialed in, but if he ran good off the trailer he couldn’t stop tinkering, he couldn’t leave well enough alone and he’d tune himself right out of it. Also, remember it was Alderman who broke Glidden’s stranglehold on Pro Stock in 1990( nitrous?) I got into Alderman’s pit that day right after he beat Eckman in the second round of the Finals to take the Championship,it was a who’s who of Mopar people, Dick Landy and his wife, there was a bunch of Chrysler muckity mucks, all the other drivers came by to congratulate. The NHRA photographer at the time, the late Leslie Lovett commented that five years ago who would have thought it would be a Dodge to break Glidden’s streak most would have guessed a Chevy or an Olds. Regarding Dave Strickler, I have a friend from York PA. who knew Ammon R. Smiths Daughter,Suzie who was married to Strickler ( that’s one way to get a sponsorship!) all he used to tell me was that Dave had his fatal heart attack while cutting the grass in his front lawn (another reason to have a gardener.) I’ll never have to worry about that because there’s no grass out here in L.A.(forgetting about all the pot heads that is!) Question, was Jenkins ever at Dover, either driving or tuning? Thanks to Dino and everyone who contributes for making this such a great site.

dino
                    Keymaster
                        quote dinotheweirdo:

Will contact my ‘Contact” …also a mopar guy in Ct. for what I can ‘devulge”.Seems current owner wants to “Debut” it with build done in top secret.Hope he does the lettering configuration with “DOVER DRAG STRIP” on the sides…I did see that current ‘clone’ being run at the Drag Times Hall of Fame show last year….It’s just ‘not right’ in a few areas.

Been a few Years And the KID (then 16in 2008 was writing for His DAD ,who allegedly has the “Clone” )-see first post here.He registered and posted twice here as hemi65blackarrow, but has a new e-mail address…can’t use the one on his profile, so can’t be found. FORGOT WHO MY Mopar “Contact” guy is( Please Respond!)…. reason for all this, is I was contacted by Rich Burgess (Doc’s Son) who now works at Richard Childress racing. His Plan is to get This Car and finish it with Doc. Problem is ,unless my Mopar “Contact” can’t be reached, we have no way of tracking the Kid and his Dad in Ct. The ‘Kid” did sign an e-mail once as “TIM”.
                        heres his posts:
                        http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/search.php?author_id=281&sr=posts

……RICH AND DOC will be coming to the Nostalgia Drags!…Rich said plan was to Go to Lebanon for the Import Race the week before and run the MINI COOPER “ARROW” …He also wanted to finish the “CLONE” if he gets it for “something” in May.an event ?? …ALL YOU GUYS …hit the bricks and track down Tim..the Kid and his Dad. If they want to remain unknown…call me or e-mail me …Need a Good name & # to call.

dino
                        Keymaster

JUst In From RICH !…”OK as far as Aug 9-10… we will come up Friday and go to Accord dirt track and Lebanon Sat and Sunday. He’ll have no problem with all the autographs etc. He’ll enjoy seeing everybody and getting to drag, he’s still got it. He’ll be doing a lot of test and tunes at Piedmont, Farmington, and Mooresville drag strips. Thanks for your Time and effort. R.B”

dino
                            Keymaster

YO …..Lets FIND THIS CAR FOR BURGESS…. MOPAR GUYS ….Beat the bushes!

quote dinotheweirdo:

quote dinotheweirdo:

Will contact my ‘Contact” …also a mopar guy in Ct. for what I can ‘devulge”.Seems current owner wants to “Debut” it with build done in top secret.Hope he does the lettering configuration with “DOVER DRAG STRIP” on the sides…I did see that current ‘clone’ being run at the Drag Times Hall of Fame show last year….It’s just ‘not right’ in a few areas.

Been a few Years And the KID (then 16in 2008 was writing for His DAD ,who allegedly has the “Clone” )-see first post here.He registered and posted twice here as hemi65blackarrow, but has a new e-mail address…can’t use the one on his profile, so can’t be found. FORGOT WHO MY Mopar “Contact” guy is( Please Respond!)…. reason for all this, is I was contacted by Rich Burgess (Doc’s Son) who now works at Richard Childress racing. His Plan is to get This Car and finish it with Doc. Problem is ,unless my Mopar “Contact” can’t be reached, we have no way of tracking the Kid and his Dad in Ct. The ‘Kid” did sign an e-mail once as “TIM”.
                                heres his posts:
                                http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/search.php?author_id=281&sr=posts

……RICH AND DOC will be coming to the Nostalgia Drags!…Rich said plan was to Go to Lebanon for the Import Race the week before and run the MINI COOPER “ARROW” …He also wanted to finish the “CLONE” if he gets it for “something” in May.an event ?? …ALL YOU GUYS …hit the bricks and track down Tim..the Kid and his Dad. If they want to remain unknown…call me or e-mail me …Need a Good name & # to call.

dino
                                Keymaster

FOUND! Just talked to Current Owner .Tracked him down with Fantastic Help from Sal Carbone -Ct Racer ….Same Guy has owned it for 29 years…Doc visited him in 1985 ,trying to buy it. Had five owners before him…Doc-Smrtics-Rich Walsh-Jim Cramer and last …the Helmick Bros. who ran it as a super stocker. Been inside an enclosed trailer for 15 years. It’s In Ct…. Guy is lifelong member of New Breed Drag Team. Hooked Him Up with Rich Burgess… sounds like he’s finally willing to part with it and said, “can’t think of anyone better than Doc to get it, as opposed to someone who might hack it up and loose it’s original historical significance” …looks like the ole girl might have a happy ending. BUT who knows the next chapter?…I’ll keep ya posted. Found This from a New Breed group shot …gotta be more than 15 years ago….About 1988 to be exact.

Attachments:

rcgarren
                                    Participant

When was the BLACK ARROW yellow???

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Rog…When They Altered the Wheels and dumped in the Injected motor for Match Racing…To Match the yellow on his 442 …Lee Valentine can fill us in on that .NOTE …Thast the Original Black Arrow…Not the Clone we’re discussing here…for all you newbies …put in’ Black Arrow’ in the Search box for ALL the Best documentation anyplace …Oh..You’ll need a couple of hours and cooler with snacks.

storm-king

The Arrow had several colors on it in about a three year period, Bill and I can attest to that, as we sanded every one of them off when we repainted it in late ’67.
                                                The (original) ‘Arrow was of course the factory white (lead white, it was called, maybe?), then it had an odd sort of beige, then the yellow that it had when we bought it.
                                                The clone car was originally dark blue (and a ’64, not a ’65) which Bill and I bought wrecked and rebuilt to run S/SA with. We ended up selling it to Doc, who then sold it to Bill’s former partner in the Pro Stock car, and I don’t know where it went from there.
                                                It’s probably discussed in this thread somewhere.
                                                Dino, I don’t think Doc painted ti to match the 442, I think the ‘Arrow was yellow before Doc bought the 442…could be wrong, but that’s how I remember it.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Guess the Arrow yellow came first and they had paint left over 😆 Any ways….Rich is contact with the current owner and I guess we’ll see how the ‘negotiations’ come out.And yes in a previous post the guy told me the owners …Walsh, Cramer, Helmick, etc.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Rich just e-mailed me this:
                                                        ” waiting on pictures, trailer is snowed in maybe next week he’ll be able to unload and take pictures. Hopefully in next 3 weeks we can make it up to look at it and hopefully we can make a deal. I’ll keep you informed. Thanks R.B”

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Owner Sent Rich These Photos …Told Rich:” rich here are some more pictures i took today – first time out of trailer in 15 years – still looks pretty good –
                                                            can you do me a favor and e-mail to dino @ the dover dragway site – I think everyone has been waiting a
                                                            long time to see the car again – if I part with it will be like losing a kid – I would like dino to post them on the site –
                                                            i talked to him for quite a while last month about the good old times – he’s pretty knowledgeable – I would really like for
                                                            everyone to see them – thanks Gordon”
                                                            So Here It Is taken out of the trailer for first Time in 15 years. Rich just called and said he & Doc are watching the weather ,and plan to go see Gorden the owner ,maybe this weekend and do some ‘dealing’.

Attachments:

storm-king

Very clean, nice to see it again. Shame about the tubs and 4 link, though….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.