CARPET BAGGER FOUND !

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR CARPET BAGGER FOUND !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    john-sachs-sr
    Participant

Try The Floor Covering Shop,in Norwich,and see if Tom Goluboff is involved with that business.He’ll be able to give you some insight on the car. 😎
        For sure he owned the wagon when it was red.I think he still owned it when I sold him my SS/DA ’70 Cuda at the end of ’71.I also recall driving the Cuda in ’72 at Dover for him around opening day of that season.Still have the time ticket,10.74.
        John 😉

rustynuts

John

I had already looked at the Norwich Ct. “Floor Covering Shop” web site. I did not see any mention of Tom. Also Tom does not come up in any White Pages searches I have done. Apparently the Norwich business is run by a family named Graf. It might be that the business has changed hands? My last recollection of hearing about what Tom was doing in the business world was related to Tom moving the business from Torrington to Waterbury.

It seems to me now after reading your post that I do recall Tom buying a Mopar. Funny how that stuff is stored away in the back of ones head. Now that my memory has been jogged the Mopar conncetion comes back. I don’t think I EVER would have pulled that info up without your post. I think I heard something somewhere about the Mopar but by 1971 I was off on other thing including finishing college. I think that I must have heard about the Mopar in a “passing comment” by someone who was still into the car scene at that time.

Were you part of the Ct. New York race car scene back at that time? I see that you are in Fla. now

john-sachs-sr
            Participant

Were you part of the Ct. New York race car scene back at that time? I see that you are in Fla. now[/quote]

Rusty,
                Me,Grover,Ron M.,and Kolb,would race anywhere there was a race in the N.Y. and Conn. area.No matter track,street,or bush.Hell, if they raced wheelchairs,we would probably be at the hospital doing that as well. 🙄
                John 😉

rustynuts

John

Check your PM. I saw your profile. Wanna help with a motorcycle question? We can do that one offline

E-mail me at Hpexpatriot@yahoo.com.

Rusty

vicp2d

Hello Rusty Nuts,
                        My name is Victor, My dad owned Vic’s Speed Shop. I reside in Newburgh NY. I am glad to get some new information on car. I spoke a couple of times to Tom. He is at Town and Country Floors in Clifton Park NY. I found some old chrome with mailing address on it and called to verify the car was correct. I asked Tom for some information on car 3 months ago, still waiting. I am trying to get more pictures of car and time slips and stuff to create a history board on car. When I go the the tracks with the car I get alot of questions. I just remember my dad racing against the car. The car has been updated with a ford 9 inch and ladder bar suspension by someone else. When I bought the car we had gone thru it completly. I made a couple of passes with big block. I then purchased the drive line that Tom had bought for the car about 6 years ago. We put the 323cu in small block in. Mounted headers and they lay on the tires. Install trans and fab up new mount. Put the big block springs in to keep front end up and level out center of gravity. Clean and resealed carbs. and resolve water in oil issue. The car and engine now have 12 passes on it. We just got back from Atco and ran 10.33 @129 mph. The car will now lift wheels about 8 inches. There is still more in car with more suspension and engine tune up.

dino
                        Keymaster

Vic…Our Dover CSI ‘Team” will put a Fire under Tom…Thanks to your Tip ,where he is. And I’ve Got More info coming in for YOU and Ol Rusty

rustynuts

Glad to be of some help. This old race car stuff is infectious…especially if the car has some history with the investigtor. Most of what I was gonna share with you is already in this post I think. I really can’t say much more except that I was not really close to the car in a hands on way. More of spectator watching the older guys have fun. My neighbor was outta the car and in college (possibly out of college) when I was watching the Carpetbagger at the track. Cannot be sure he and I ever really talked one on one about the car. The other guys who drove the car were not people I was involved with every day eather.

I did know Larry Liefert fairly well lthough I don’t think we have as much as crossed paths in the past 15 years. I almost never go back to Torrington now that I live in Atlanta. I even helped him set up his shop when he first went out on his own so we go back to 1968 I guess. He did some work on the car. Valve work…might have set up a rear end or two ( he did some rears for me so I know he could do that kind of work) and I think he assembled the top end of the motor. I recall going into the shop and Larry would be working on this or that for Tom’s car. I recall seeing the car being towed here and there around town on its way to this shop or that shop for work. As I think I posted somewhere I can vaguely recall the car being an around town “driver” lettered up with “Floor Covering Shop” on the doors. Most likely that would have been before I was 16 Y/O. I think it was painted the standard red and white Chevy two tone paint at that time. Could be wrong it might have just been the red you see in the earlier “at the races” pictures without all the race regalia painted on.

vicp2d

Thank you for some of the history on the car. I only remember the car being red and the next time I saw the car it had a late 70’s paint. Someday I hope to get pictures and timeslips to document history of car.
                                    Thank you, Vic

dino
                                    Keymaster

Bad News from the NETO guys…Carpet Bagger bounced off the wall at Island…Heavy damage ..They thought it was going to Roll 😮 ….Guess they can fill us in. ?

rustynuts

Shit

dino
                                            Keymaster

FOUND the Sequence Shots of Bagger hitting the wall-DEFINATLY Took at right turn! left lane to right .Greg Vaness (Track Photographer Site) can’t copy-Post …blocked …’For Sale” photos BUT shows all the Neto guys Sunday on all the gallery Pages for 9-13-09 at Island.

http://gregvaness.shutterbugstorefront.com/g/island_dragway_9-13-09_ol_daze_drags&gallery_page=&gallery_all=&view=1&photo_page=9

vicp2d

Yes it true. It broke my heart. The car lanched and got out of the groove. I started to get it under control and then saw water coming from under the hood. Upper radiator hose broke and the rest, well you know how it ended. Already have parts on order. The two sections will be in primer and car should still make it to the dover renuion. Will look to have paint done over the winter.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Got This E-mailed to us The Bagger at Enlishtown in 1976 .

Attachments:

vicp2d

From Vic: Latest picture of CarpetBagger from 1974

vicp2d

1974, Ramp truck, wheelie bars, That was Mickey Mouse on the door

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.