Centalanzo’s

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Centalanzo’s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    storm-king

Do you recall the special event Dover had that was a S/S versus Modified Production race? That may have been the weekend. It was before pro stock became a class, or just about the same time. I was running our ’67 Hemi four speed GTX that weekend. When we’d do our dry hop, it would pop open the trunk and gass filler cap, as well as put vertical creases in the quarter panels in front of and behind the rear wheel well. Dad never would let us tie the frame in, so the car twisted badly. the only thing I remember from that event is that an early sixties Corvette came up from ersey, I think, just for that event. It was a MP car and had just been on the cover of “Cars” magazine. It was called the “Honker”. Anyway during the time trials I ran it and remember seeing his front wheels hanging in the air outside of my right window. I hit second and that’s the last time I saw him.

storm-king

This is us running Centolanza (near lane) probably sometime in 1969.

Oops! Pic was too big, I’ll get it later.

68hemiss

I talked to the Centolanza’s a number of years back about their 68 car and they told me that the 67 car was bought from Joe Arvey in MI and that they didn’t buy it new. I wonder who that car was sold to and where it is today. I also heard a couple of stories about the 71 Convert. I was talking to a guy from NY/NJ and he said that he and a partner had bought the Centolanza’s 71 car and they sold it to Steve Bagwell in GA. He said Terry Earwood, who was driving for Bagwell at the time came up to pick the car up. I know Terry so I asked him about it. He said that a few years ago a guy called him about that car – he had a chance to buy it but had to but a few other cars in the deal. Terry told him that as far as he knew it was an original 71 Hemi Convertable. Well the guy buys the car and finds out that the car was actually a 70 model converted to a 71. I am guessing there was a better weight break as I don’t think that the horespower changed. So instead of one of 6 (or something) it is one of 12 (or something). He restored the car back to stock… a car with all that racing history! In the original conversation with the guy from NY/NJ he knew that the car was a 70 and converted so I guess it was the same car.
                Mark J

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Anyone remember Jimmy Le Roux? From Highland Falls, (not sure of spelling) He ran out of my shop in the ’70’s with a 1968 Hemi Road Runner (maroon) SS/CA and then we built a 1971 Hemi Cuda (orange) SS/EA don’t think it was ever raced. He was a good friend of Chick’s and Centalanzo Bro’s. I think he’s at the big Dover in the sky now! Rich M&M

dino
                    Keymaster

My Brother Ted And I knew something “Was UP” win the Centolanza’s pulled in one opening day ,with a Box truck,instead of the usual flat-tow open trailer.I’d hang with him sometimes in the inspection lanes until Time Trial Time.The truck had Michigan —> MFG. plates on it . Out of the back came their new Super Stocker.Why I remember that? don’t know …funny how your memory gets jogged. Pauls is at critical mass.

hvy70ss
                        Participant

I remember Jimmy LeRoux from Highland Falls. He was part of the gang at Mountain Garage along with the Centolanza bros.
                            As a kid, I remember the day that ’68 RoadRunner came off the truck for delivery at the dealership!! He was good friends with John Delorenzo (Centolanza’s crew chief) who also raced a blue RR at the same time. Both cars were regulars at Dover.
                            Sadly, both left the drag racing world too early from illness. I have a nice slide shot of Jim’s RR at Dover.
                            Bobby Smith

Attachments:

hvy70ss
                            Participant

OK..here’s the straight scoop. I just got off the phone with Lou Centolanza. Here is the order of cars they ran, 1967 GTX 440 Super Stock car, 1967 RO Hemi Super Stock car, 1971 Hemi ‘Cuda conv. Super Stock car, and finally a 1968 Hemi ‘Cuda in SS/A trim. They held the NHRA record for SS/A @ 9.90 for about a year around 1977. They actually went as quick as 9.40 @143 then. Lou is presently building a 1969 ‘Cuda for G/S…still loves 4 speeds!! The good news is that both Lou and his brother Anthony WILL be at the Dover Island race. Cannot confirm if the car will be though.

Bobby Smith

……..Paul . . Bobby trumped ya on this one 😆 dino

paul-ceasrine

DINO,
                                    Thanks for the memory comment. All those early 70’s chemicals did not disturb the
                                    outer fibers. The eardrums hurt though. I stayed a little close to the stage at the
                                    Fore’ N Aft. “Rat Race Choir”. Or was that all the noise from the Lobster Shells getting cracked at “King Neptune”. Man could that place pump out Crustaceans’.
                                    OK, I’m getting a little “Drake Viscome” here.
                                    About 6 months ago I did mention that I had heard that the Centolanza’s were putting together an A-Body Cuda with a 383. Jerry Deslandes (an old racing friend of my fathers)
                                    told me he met Lou at a car re-union at the Bear Mountain Inn a while back, and he was
                                    informed their.
                                    I was told it was a 67′ 383 Fastback. But I defer, it is a 69′ 383 Fastback. A little different HP rating. From the factory the 383 was rated at 330HP, but now I think it is nicely re-factored
                                    to 300HP or less. Fits perfectly into G/S (11.00-11.49 hp/wt). I think thats the factor.
                                    The car chassis is getting prepped by Jimi Vignogna. The color is a burnt-red, and sits very nicely with the racing wheels. Only thing missing, is the little black non-functional scoops that sit on the back section of the hood.
                                    See, I really didn’t trip over the box of Barilla Penne’ Pasta.
                                    Paul. 😆

dino
                                    Keymaster

Which Aft .North SouthEast Or original; -White Plains…Me, Terry O. and gil Shott at North…RRChior ! the Best Who Tribute Band ….Any way …Back To Lou…They have anything to run NOW or “under Construction”…Got to get More Photos From Kathy V. !

hvy70ss
                                        Participant

Paul..Right on for Lou’s current ride!! The 383 is being prepped by both Lou and the Vignogna’s, Dana rear in car. As of 9pm last night, the car MAY be finished by the 18th but the brothers will be at Island for sure. Pics to follow…

Bobby Smith

dino
                                            Keymaster

Bobby…If your right there with the action…can we finally get Lou ON THE FORUM ? And We need to send ace “Dover Relic Rat” -Brian, to ‘pick’ through his collectables .

hvy70ss
                                                Participant

Dino,
                                                    He actually told me last night, “I really need to get on and check it out” (Dover site). He’s very busy even in retirement. As far as “collectibles”, standby, I will be getting a motherload soon from him. I’ll contact Brian and keep him in the loop too.

Bobby

dino
                                                    Keymaster

DRAG TIMES ….NEED Drag Times …Photos of Course

paul-ceasrine

NOT A GOOD DAY DOVER ALUMNI.

I know we were mentioning the Centalanzo’s and the Vignogna connection.
                                                            Just got the bad news.
                                                            Lou Vignogna passed away today. October 8, 2009.
                                                            A tough battle with some physical ailments.

God Speed To You Lou.
                                                            Great Mopar Man.
                                                            Condolences to the Vignogna Family.
                                                            Will See You Someday My Friend On The Starting Line, Lane 1..Tower Side

bobby-s

Paul

thanks for letting us know about Lou,
                                                                he will be missed for sure by a lot of people,
                                                                I have a picture on my wall of Lou helping me with the
                                                                harness belts in flat head dragster,
                                                                also his friends from Mahopac are in the picture

Rest in piece my friend,

Bobby S.

(I’ll try and contact some of his friends
                                                                in my area,)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.