Charlie Castaldo…from ’55 gasser to Hemi Darts

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Charlie Castaldo…from ’55 gasser to Hemi Darts

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Hi Guys,

Here are two photo’s of Charlies ’55 at Dover The big kid behind the wheel is not Charlie, but me. I used to help Charlie back then.Charlie was a family friend and he got me hooked on drag racing.
        Charlie borrowed my friend Mike Rothmans tow wagon and the Plain Busted trailer to go to Detroit to pick up his His ’68 Hemi Dart.

Andy Panessa

Attachments:

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Andy:
            The pictures & article of the Dart’s & Cuda’s is realy COOL!!! Like to a copy? PLEASE
            Rich
            http://www.mmspeedcustom@aol.com

dino
            Keymaster

Would like to I.D. those early Altereds ,which can probably be found in the Great Bill Cullen Collection …Maybe No lettering BUT some one would remember.That would compltere the History very nicely. Andy …did ya run it? …what did ya turn?

paul-ceasrine

You know.
                    If you were an early-bird like Mr. Castaldo and went out to the Hurst facility in
                    Madison Heights, Michigan, you too could have picked up one of those factory Hemi
                    Super stockers for………….GULP $4200 (Racers Price).
                    I’ll tke 3 please, and a dozen Jelly Donuts for the ride back to New York..
                    PC

storm-king-2

Paul
                        I bought the “Black Arrow” right after getting out of the Army. I had no idea the Hemi Darts & Cuda’s were coming out. I paid 4 grand for the Arrow, & it was worth it. But if I had known, I probably would have waited for the A bodies.
                        Bill
                        ps- Most of the A body Hemi’s I ran against weren’t as quick as the Arrow. Bill Flynn, & Ed Miller were the only 2 that ever beat it.

paul-ceasrine

Bill (SK2),
                            Still a good deal for the “Black Arrow”. I still look at those early 65′ photo’s, awesome car.
                            Still HOT with those white steel wheels. One wonders,,,,just what the car would have been
                            worth if it wasn’t cut-up, and left in S/SA. That would make one nice “Grocery Getter” today for Sunday mornings to …….”Dunkin Donuts”. Like to see the look on the “Munchkins”
                            faces when the S/S springs engaged 😆
                            If you research, the 68′ Factory Hemi Dart & Cuda prices, there all over the place.
                            Racer price…$4200
                            Suggested Dealer Selling price $4800
                            M.S.R.P………………………$5146
                            List Price……………………..$5700
                            I guess it depended on where it went, and who was after it.
                            Of course, the engines weren’t set-up as well as the 65′ S/S cars. I remember a Dart
                            from northern Connecticut/Springfield, Mass. area running only 11.30’s. Probably just got the car from the factory, threw on slicks and ran it, not knowing that you had to
                            pull the engine apart, put in the goody parts and a proper cam/valve train.
                            PC

don-kauer

I really miss Charlie. I knew him from Westchester back in the day and of course from Dover..We both had a Sponsor from Fred Byers at Official Auto Parts in White Plains. We would have meetings at the store a couple of times a month (with Joe Motion) and Charlie and I became good friends.When he stopped racing he opened a speed parts store on Central Ave. in Scarsdale not far from his home.I spent many hours there……..When I had my shop in White Plains I did some charity work for MDA and Charlie helped me with funding and alot of his time to set up a great car show in White Plains with all proceeds going to the MDA. He called in some favors from some racers and we had quite a show……….Also my other good friend Scott Shafiroff was there and I have some great photos of them together………Don Kauer

dino
                                Keymaster

Charlie Had A Speed Parts Shop? What was the Name ? and what years was it Open?.That one slipped by me. Photos are welcome ! send them -I’ll scan and send back .If you EMail-do at 300dpi minimum.

john-sachs-sr
                                    Participant
                                        quote dinotheweirdo:

Charlie Had A Speed Parts Shop? What was the Name ? and what years was it Open?.That one slipped by me. Photos are welcome ! send them -I’ll scan and send back .If you EMail-do at 300dpi minimum.

Don & Dino,
                                        Charlie and Joanne had a custom van shop on Central Ave. 😉 Kolb and I used him for a few builds,and a lot of parts for the vans we sold.
                                        John 🙂

dino
                                        Keymaster

How interesting…I worked at Custom Vans Inc. in Danbury,Ct.from ’75 til ’78 . It was operated by Former House Of Speed owner Chet Piontek And Rich Barchi. I Did all the Custom Paint .Did Dealer coversions for the tri-state area,til the Gas embargo killed it. The guy that now runs the “Stormin’ Stovebolt” restored Chevelle, worked with Me …Tricky Ricky. Funny how we all went with the trends …Drags to Vans ?

john-sachs-sr
                                            Participant

Dino,
                                                Kolb and I hired Rick Gailey, ❗ who later taught Pete Pinori from Goldens Bridge to air brush,and set them up at White Plains Ford to do our van paint.Worked pretty good for a year,until Pete left to work out of his own shop. 😯
                                                John

dino
                                                Keymaster

Ricks Stuff was an Inspiration for me…Lost all my photos of his work…Oh well ….Was the Fun City Flyer , Charlies last Car ? Never did any more or evan partnered with anyone?

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Don Kauer just discovered some Photos ,Charlie Gave him…Here’s one

Attachments:

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Kauer saved this too…handout postcard

Attachments:

bossguy

In the first pic it looks like Chas himself in the dark blue turtleneck.
                                                                Rick Rickman and Charlie Licatas name on the door

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.