Charlie Castaldo…from ’55 gasser to Hemi Darts

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Charlie Castaldo…from ’55 gasser to Hemi Darts

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    gramdog1
    Participant

Looks like Charlie, Boss. The other name on the Dart was Charlie’s bro-in-law.

clicata

Ron ,The SS/BA car had John Galli & Frankie Zangaro (cc brother in law) on the door untill the Super Stock Nats. The car got relettered round by round ,John Macey on the fender,Rick Rickman,Frank Zangaro and my self on the bottom.
            chas.

paul-ceasrine

GEEZ…
                Just how many lettering jobs did Charlie have on that car. Everytime a new photo appears, there’s name changes and additions…
                DINO, did you travel with them to each race with your brush kit 😆
                Looks like a small box with an / mark in it, and SS Nationals lettered on the front portion of the rear quarter.
                Tim Crutchfield’s name on upper door panel strip is still painted over.
                PC (GO HEMI)

don-kauer

Hey, With Charlie’s money he could have had 100 cars and 100 Dinos and life still would have been the same…. The great thing about him he was always the same..He never had his head up his butt…Always good to all of us..I used to go with him to Pelham Pky. almost every Christmas time to see the lights (across from the stables) and then we would go to to one of his good spots to eat ,The Paulding Restaurant on Morris Park Ave. Always a good time…I miss him badly……….I hope you can hear us Charlie…We all loved you……………….Don……….

dino
                    Keymaster

Just Once Paul…At his house in Scarsdale….NICE house…Garage was like, well, Fully stocked, lets say for any need .Wonder who got the Gasser ? …that would be interesting to find out .

dino
                        Keymaster

Just Got a Photo From Brian of A Castaldo car I never saw…Has Charlie Licata & Rick Rickman lettered on the door. I’ll scan & post tomorrow

dino
                            Keymaster

As promised

Attachments:

gramdog1
                                Participant

On bottom of door lettering reads”Super Crew-Ron-Tony-Billy”. Gramdog is Ron,Tony is Tony DiVito(Gramdog’s bro-in-law),I don’t recall Billy’s last name. 😥
                                    At the races at Island Tony asked about Charlie’s ’68 Dart. I told him it went to the Vignoia’s. Tony,who lives in Hopewell Junction and knew Louie very well said the Dart that Lou had did not have any of the tritanium parts that he and I helped to install. Maybe Charlie Licata has some input on this.
                                    The ’70 Challanger was factory backed and was built at Castaldo’s shop on Mclean Ave. Started out as a 340-4speed,converted to Hemi w/Tourqeflite.

bossguy

Ron, I believe Billy’s last name was Griffin? From New Rochelle?

gramdog1
                                        Participant

Bossguy you are correct. I had a “senior moment” while posting.
                                            Billy’s cousin,Willy worked for a Pontiac dealer in Westchester and did some racing also.

storm-king

I always thought the Dart in the opening post was his prettiest car. Great paint!

clicata

Chrysler told Charlie ‘C’ that he had to run a current year car (the Dart was 2 yrs old) so Rick and I put up the the money to buy the Challenger , it sat in the shop for 2 months nobody touched it to busy running the Dart 2 to 3 times a week, so we had a short break my brother in law Charlie Buttacavoli and myself stripped and installed the parts we needed to convert it to a Hemi in 2 weeks .

quote Gramdog1:

On bottom of door lettering reads”Super Crew-Ron-Tony-Billy”. Gramdog is Ron,Tony is Tony DiVito(Gramdog’s bro-in-law),I don’t recall Billy’s last name. 😥
                                                    At the races at Island Tony asked about Charlie’s ’68 Dart. I told him it went to the Vignoia’s. Tony,who lives in Hopewell Junction and knew Louie very well said the Dart that Lou had did not have any of the tritanium parts that he and I helped to install. Maybe Charlie Licata has some input on this.
                                                    The ’70 Challanger was factory backed and was built at Castaldo’s shop on Mclean Ave. Started out as a 340-4speed,converted to Hemi w/Tourqeflite.
                                                    paul-ceasrine

Found,,,,,,,Charlie Castaldo won the 1969 Fall Nationals at Raceway Park, October 1969.

Ran SS/BA with a 10.57 @ 129.10 (with the 2nd Dart)

Beat Ted Kijek ‘Trans End’ 69′ SS/E AMX Super/Stocker

gramdog1
                                                        Participant

Welcome back Paul,long time no hear.
                                                            I believe the AMX was driven by Frank Ioconno. 😕

paul-ceasrine

Hi G DOG,,,,,,,,,

Charlie must have plastered a few cars their, at the October Fall Nationals..thats a sub-record run.

Ted Kijeks was listed as owner, but it was lettered ‘Flemington Rambler’,,,,,,,a slight error on my part.
                                                                In October 1969, the AMX’s were classed in SS/E.

That Flemington Rambler car was at Dover a few times, before getting re-painted and lettered ‘Trans End’

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.