CONNECTICUT DRAGWAY…"Dover Days"

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST CONNECTICUT DRAGWAY…"Dover Days"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Well …let it loose !…have N’Y Nat’l. This is next logical thread ….Lots and Lots of Dover / Conn. Dragway …”switch hitters “. Bounced back & forth.

tomblake
        Participant

I raced at Connecticut but preferred Dover. Connecticut did NOT have a Sam’s and I don’t mean the Sam’s warehouse.

vbob
            Participant

Hey
                I stop there sometime,1/4 mile is still there along with assorted circle,hill climb,skid pads!!
                Most peps know it’s new owners are Consumer Reports !!
                Entrance into the office lobby is loaded with pics,posters,etc.!

‘V’

thekidd312

ran there a few times with uncle butch. we liked it nice track. that is the place he wrecked ower c/gas 41 plymouth pickup 327 4 speed chevy powered. all mosted cost him his life he never drag raced again i did all the driving for few years till ower team spilt upo he mover down south. boy when i thing about it we ran a lot of different tracks back then and loved tthem all. it was really fun billy the kidd bender

dennis-doubleday

My first trip to Connecticut was in May of 1969.Terry Hedrick here. Dennis Doubleday

dennis-doubleday

Bill Flynn in 1970. Dennis Doubleday

vbob
                            Participant

Hey
                                found this up in the a—-!!
                                under C!!

‘V’

Attachments:

john-sachs-sr
                                Participant

A few of my “Bud’s” were up in Conn.at the beginning of May ’62.They stopped by Conn.Dragway,came back to N.Y.,and badgered me into going to that track(I was happy at Dover).
                                    I decided to run at Conn. Dragway on May 27 1962.We hooked my ’38 Chev. up to my ’55 Chev.ragtop,and headed out May 26 after dinner.After crossing the Conn.River(middletown/Portland),a Popo pulled us over,and asked me where was the license tag for the race car.I said”it’s not registered”,he said”it’s getting impounded,and you’re going to jail.We didn’t have bail money,so I went in the slam,while my guys went to the track for help.
                                    Sunday morning,my guys showed up with Nick Marrata(Frank’s brother),money,and a repair tag from Frank’s body shop.We did the paper work,paid the monies,and me and my hot rod were released.
                                    Went to the track,won,wouldn’t take 5 cents,borrowed the repair tag and went back to N.Y.
                                    I was shown the greatest hospitality of my life,and made a very close friend in Frank Marrata(RIP).
                                    John
                                    Will continue later(scared of getting timed out) 😆

john-sachs-sr
                                    Participant

The years went by,I built an A/G Anglia,and at the end of 1967,after being the crew chief on the Shores & Hess AA/GS Anglia,I went partners with Ron Milanese,and we built our AA/GS Anglia.( 😉 sold my old roller toooooooooooo….DINO).
                                        Kinda felt obligated to Frank Marrata,and as a result we ran Conn.frequently,when we weren’t match racing.
                                        John 😀

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

John’s Got tons of Stories…Whats that say on front …Love …..?

john-sachs-sr
                                            Participant

Thems were the “Flower Power” days……. Love generation.
                                                Ask Ronnie,and Grover !!!!!!!!!
                                                John 😀

dino
                                                Keymaster

Yeah…see the lace paint! did a little in my day too! link on home page to Visitors Gallery has shot of Billy M. & Seymours rail I did back then…”Cool Aid Kids’ as in “electric cool-aid”… ah …the swingin’ sixties

dino
                                                    Keymaster

WE need Randy Fish To pop in here …He knew the Announcer good and all the Regulars !

maso
                                                        Participant
                                                            quote video Bob:

Hey
                                                            I stop there sometime,1/4 mile is still there along with assorted circle,hill climb,skid pads!!
                                                            Most peps know it’s new owners are Consumer Reports !!
                                                            Entrance into the office lobby is loaded with pics,posters,etc.!

‘V’

This is interesting. Is the old drag strip there and is it still opperational…? If it is… then that would be the best place for a DDS reunion. Your DDS history guru says that the origional owners of both DDS and Connecticut Dragway had something to do with each other in the beginning.

I think that I may have found it on satalyte at Google Earth… is this it…? ( note the GPS coordinates at the bottom of the photograph. )

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Conn Street Rod Assn. still runs Conn. get-togethers…had a petition to re-open, didn’t work and ya think if anybody could have gotten permission to do “somethimg” there,it would have been them .Same old thing -Insurance…New strutures too close for 170 mph runs conducted safely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.