CONNECTICUT DRAGWAY…"Dover Days"

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST CONNECTICUT DRAGWAY…"Dover Days"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    maso
    Participant
        quote dinotheweirdo:

Conn Street Rod Assn. still runs Conn. get-togethers…had a petition to re-open, didn’t work and ya think if anybody could have gotten permission to do “somethimg” there,it would have been them .Same old thing -Insurance…New strutures too close for 170 mph runs conducted safely.

So… why do you suppose that they don’t tare up the old asphault…?

dino
        Keymaster

They use it …testing Gas milage..brake tests , suspension, ride noise, all that safe stuff …not full blown runs with crazy “Speed-Demons”

maso
            Participant
                quote dinotheweirdo:

They use it …testing Gas milage..brake tests , suspension, ride noise, all that safe stuff …not full blown runs with crazy “Speed-Demons”

Is the shut down area inadaquet…???

I’m still sorta’ wondering if that’s a good spot for a DDS reunion someday.

randy-fish

Jim Basley and my CT photo guy have tentative permission to shoot Basley’s fully restored Jungle Jim Monza (for a feature in DRAG RACER Magazine) in front of the old tower when the weather turns favorable. I can’t verify this, but I’ve heard the original Connecticut Dragway tower is considered a Historical Building. If that’s the case, it’s certainly deserving of the honor.

maso
                    Participant

Let me get this right… Consumer’s Reports Magazine uses the old Connecticut Dragway as a testing grounds for their magazine features…??? Is that right…? I’m confused a little here.

randy-fish
                            quote Maso:

Let me get this right… Consumer’s Reports Magazine uses the old Connecticut Dragway as a testing grounds for their magazine features…??? Is that right…? I’m confused a little here.

That’s right. They purchased the entire parcel of land several years ago. A great deal of landscaping was done, one or two buildings were erected, and a skid pad was also built — all for vehicle testing and evaluation. Aerial photos have appeared in their magazine from time to time. It’s had a massive facelift, but it’s still the same in many respects. I’ve always wanted to see it on one of my trips back, and still hope to someday.

dugbred

I only ran at Connecticut Dragway once, but still have the Class Winner decal.

dino
                                Keymaster

That is funky lookin’ ! Year? car? ,Class? Photo?

dugbred
                                        quote dinotheweirdo:

That is funky lookin’ ! Year? car? ,Class? Photo?

I’m not sure of the year, but it was near the end of the place being open. If I remember it was a CSRA nostalgia drag day, and I ran my ’39 Plymouth pick up. That one day, made me want to build a car to run at the strip, and the next thing I know, it was being closed down.

randy-fish
                                            quote dugbred:

I only ran at Connecticut Dragway once, but still have the Class Winner decal.

That had to be from the mid ’80s, or so. I used to race with Art Ruggeiro’s Blown Alcohol Dragster and Art was part of the group of racers that leased the track from Frank Maratta Jr. I can’t remember the exact year (’86 or ’87?), but Art called me one day and said Frankie decided not to renew the contract. It’s too bad because those guys did a great job. They got a D-1 points race one year and also were awarded the “Most Improved Track in Division 1” for their efforts.

vbob
                                            Participant

Hey
                                                Found this program upstairs!

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

What Year V-Bob?…and Whats INSIDE ?

vbob
                                                    Participant

HEY
                                                        I’d say maybe 1985
                                                        Had stuuf in there about the 84 fall bracket nats.
                                                        ‘V’

dennis-h-pateras
                                                        Participant

anyone remember Lou’s diner? Don’t remember if it was on rte. 6 or 16 but it wasn’t far from Conn. dragway.
                                                            delicious home made burgers. small place.a bunch of us would walk in and old Lou, would yell” Ma ,go wake up Billy,
                                                            we’re gonna need him.” those were the days.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

So lets get some facts straight…When Did Conn. Open ? 62? next year after Dover.? And we now find it closed TWICE! First in the end of ’79Just like Dover,thanks to ,well everything going on…& last in the 80’s.. And remained closed until 1980, when a group of 15 investors got together to lease the track from still property owner Frank Marratta. Run a little flaky by some “managers’ and finally closed for good , about 84-85 ,not sure . Any one got something to add?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.