Cougar, The Top Cat

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Cougar, The Top Cat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    mikey

Does anyone out there remember a Cougar named Top Cat? It was a yellowy orange color, had a tigers tail hooked to the gas cap, and may have had some stripes on it. I don’t remember the year of the car(68-70)but it was a 4spd, and I think it had a 3904bbl. I was looking through the Ford tech section, and guys were mentioning Cougars, and it jogged my memory. My old next door neighbor in Beacon N.Y. bought the car from Alan McCormack, who owned(on paper) Alan Pontiac Buick in Beacon. Alan said the car was a National Record holder. My friend still has the car, but I don’t know what kind of shape it’s in, or if it might be a car to restore. Any Ford guys know the scoop ?? 😯 😯 Mikey

dino
        Keymaster

Drake would know…Alan was the son of George(McCormick Lincon-Mercury),that sponsored Billy Lagana. Did this car run at Dover? Did Alan race it ? Drake mentioned this once:
            ALAN DROVE THE ’66 COMET C/S CAR…

fourbyfour
            Participant

Dino,
                I worked for George McCormick for about 11 years and when he bought the old Community Pontiac in Beacon he re-named it Alan Pontiac-Buick.Alan did race the Comet and ran the Cougar a few times but I don’t believe he ran Dover.We worked on the Cougar a few times at Alan Pontiac.I was only there about a year when he bought Kohl Motors in Poughkeepsie and named it Lee Ford after his other son Lee and shipped me up there. If you go through some of the photos of historic Dover there are some shots of the Comet with McCormick Motors painted on the side.
                Marty(FourByFour)

vbob
                Participant

HEY

Attachments:

dino
                    Keymaster

V-BOB…That would Be Billy Lagana in the “Northern Rebel”….Right dealership though.

vbob
                        Participant

HEY
                            How bout this?
                            ‘V’

Attachments:

tomatohead
                            Participant

I think I saw a puddy cat ❗ πŸ˜† ………….. no really I saw a picture of that car in the gallerys I dont remember which one it was . I do remember the car being right in the dealer showroom back in Bedford Hills at the time , It was there the day my uncle picked up his 427 stuff , er a I mean the “stock” parts for his 390 GT Fairlane back then ,,,,,, I thought it was called Super Cat ❓ ❓ …….Dino ,,, you probably remember , it was right up the street for the Automobile Shop ❓ …………………………………… tomato ………………… OH YEA MIKEY ❗ ❗ what are U waiting for ❗ get some pictures of the car ❗ or get a hold of BOSSGUY hes right around the corner from you guys or I will be happy to come and take some pictures ❗

john-sachs-sr
                                Participant
                                    quote mikey:

Does anyone out there remember a Cougar named Top Cat? It was a yellowy orange color, had a tigers tail hooked to the gas cap, and may have had some stripes on it. Mikey

I could be mistaken,but I think that car was originally built,and owned by Bob”dogie” Goodreau from Conn.I also think he may of passed from cancer many years ago. ❓
                                    John

dino
                                    Keymaster

ABout Bob At 1968 Hemi Darts …topic :
                                        says this:
                                        dinotheweirdo on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:33 am

Brian And I researching Gaudreau’s name in Race paper results lists…Name familiar and had previous cars…more later …looking for photos of his “Kandy-Kuda”

A quick Google search found this:
                                        Quote from a article how he went 150mph WITH A SNOWMOBILE !( WE DO have Snowmobile Guys On forum)
                                        ” Big Bob liked things that went fast, not hard to imagine from a man who once professionally drag raced Chrysler hemi-powered drag racers. In 1969, racing his 1968-bodied, Chrysler-engined β€˜Kandy Kuda,’ Gaudreau established a Pro Stock record time of 10.095 seconds at a speed of 135.5 mph in a quarter-mile event.”
                                        ….click for complete story: http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers … l-730.html

mikey

Dino, I’ll be going up to N.Y. either the end of this month, or the beginning of Feb. I have some legal things to take care of regarding my moms estate in Beacon. I will try to get a hold of Alan, and Rick Sorci(owns it now)and see what info I can get. Hey, “FourXFour”, I worked at Alan Pontiac from 70to 72, they sent me to school to work on them damn Opels!! 😑 😑 I also worked on the Cougar a couple of times. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Mikey πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

sanpedroand4th

Hello Mikey. The Top Cat Cougar was sponsered by O’Conner Lincoln Mercury In Los Angeles, where my dad was a body and fender man. The Cougar had a 302 cubic inch engine, being fairly unique with it’s Guerney – Westlake heads. I believe it’s highest finish was a runner up at a National event, but it’s been around 40 years ago, so all details are gone. They also sponsered a dark green Comet, I believe in the Super Stock D class. This car, and a lesser Comet along with a B gas Capri, were all driven by the dealer owner’s son, John O’Conner. At the time the Capri was being completed, dealers along Crenshaw were hard hit by the downturn in sales, and the B gasser was never completed. My dad performed the wheel well’s radius.

John O’Conner was last working as a service manager in a dealer ship in the Santa Monica / West Los Angeles area. Very occasionally, my dad would have communication with John, the last time being when he delivered a set of rims that my sister had replaced on her Mustang. My sister did not like that year’s “rotary phone” look of the rims.

Hope you get this Mikey. Take care of yourself.

-Stan

mikey

I’m pretty sure that I know where the car is, but I don’t know what shape “The Cat” is in. I worked on the car when Alan McCormack had it, It was just a plain yellowy orange color, no lettering, with a tail attached to the fuel cap. I don’t remember the Comet, although I’ve seen pics of it with Alan driving. I’,m thinking his father must have bought both cars. His father owned several car dealerships before his death. The dealership that I worked at was Alan Pontiac Buick in Beacon, N.Y. There is one other guy on the forum that knows the car, and may know the whole story, Four by Four. Nice to hear about the car from someone other than a local. …………. Mikey πŸ˜†

bossguy

Darryl Drokes Top Cat cougar

Attachments:

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Too many Cougars called Top Cat 😯

sanpedroand4th

Bossguy, that is the Top Cat cougar driven by Darrell, sponsered by O’Conner Lincoln Mercury in Los Angeles, where my dad was employed as a body and fender man. Thankyou!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.