DDS Reunion Article in DRAG RACER Magazine

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION DDS Reunion Article in DRAG RACER Magazine

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    storm-king

Just picked up a few copies tonight; think I’ll subscribe, any mag that “Big Daddy” writes for as well as into; is alright. McEwen, too. Met his wife last week at the NHRA museum (tiny place, “Big Daddy’s puts it to shame) and she was real nice. I saw ‘Goose there too but didn’t want to bother him as he was leaving. I would have liked to have talked to him. He wasn’t looking all that well. Randy, if I put a note together to him you might forward it to him for me?

randy-fish
            quote storm king:

Just picked up a few copies tonight; think I’ll subscribe, any mag that “Big Daddy” writes for as well as into; is alright. McEwen, too. Met his wife last week at the NHRA museum (tiny place, “Big Daddy’s puts it to shame) and she was real nice. I saw ‘Goose there too but didn’t want to bother him as he was leaving. I would have liked to have talked to him. He wasn’t looking all that well. Randy, if I put a note together to him you might forward it to him for me?

Yeah, Stormy . . . fire it off to editorial@dragracermag.com. Jeez, I wish you had tripped me or something. It would have been cool to meet you. BTW — the Mongoo$e is fine. That’s just the way he looks these days 😮 .

Man, I wish your trip to the Museum left you with a better impression. Granted, they only have so much space to work with thanks to the Fairplex, but it’s the content that makes it special. That’s something Wally had dreamed about for many years, although he didn’t see any need to name it after him. He didn’t care for the bronze statue of himself by the entrance, either. When it was set in place, he commented, “Well, at least the birds have something to sh#@ on.” That was Wally, he was an amazing guy.

Hey, I doubt you saw it, but towards the far end of the display case on your right as you walk in, there’s a great photo of Frank Maratta with (then) Northeast Division Director, Ed Eaton, looking at a scale model of CT Dragway before it was built. Anyway, please feel free to give me a heads-up when any of youz guyz come to SoCal. A friend of mine owns a nice Italian restaurant not far from the track. Anthony Terenzio and crew can vouch for my recommendation. Later . . .

dino
            Keymaster

Where going to Send Both Big Daddys AND the Wally World Museum Some Dover Memoribilia ..Randy who’s our contact out there ? Also sending the Mongoo$e some stuff Too…Nice prints from big ODF gallery …hey ..ya only go thru once … 😀 “spread the Joy ‘

randy-fish
                    quote dinotheweirdo:

Where going to Send Both Big Daddys AND the Wally World Museum Some Dover Memoribilia ..Randy who’s our contact out there ? Also sending the Mongoo$e some stuff Too…Nice prints from big ODF gallery …hey ..ya only go thru once … 😀 “spread the Joy ‘

Greg Sharp is the Curator of the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum and Tony Thacker is the Executive Director. I’d advise you to inquire first before sending anything. They rotate several of the displays regularly to keep the content fresh and interesting. Maybe they would consider allowing you to fill a display case for, say, a three-month run. Just an idea 💡

dino
                    Keymaster

Randy…. Our “Left Coast” Dover CSI operative…thanks !

storm-king-2

Thanks Randy & Dino,

40 years after that run it makes a national mag, who’d of thought. I would never have expected it, considering the racers like the Lagana’s, Drake Viscome, and probably dozens of others that were racing there before we started, & were still racing when we left. Funny thing, always considered Dover our home track, but I only ran that car there 2 weekends. Most of the year we were at Conn. Dragway running heads up S/S, with the wheel base pushed back to stock. It looked terrible with that big gapping hole in front of the rear tires, but it either won or runner upped every week. The only car I’ve owned that paid for itself.

Thank you again,
                            Bill

maso
                            Participant

I went to Barnes & Nobile’s today. They have a very big magazine rack… but I couldn’t find “Drag Racer Magazine”. Maybe it’s still too early.

storm-king

No, its out there. My newphew went to Barnes and Noble and after one of their people helped him look for it, they told him that this month was the first time they didn’t order it because they didn’t sell enough of them (!) I went back in a day later, walked up to the rack, and three copies were there; so I bought them.
                                    It’s a good mag and subscriptions are a lot cheaper!

cullyflower

Drag Racer is the only magazine that I subscribe to. The Dover article can only help make more people aware
                                        of what is being done to preserve the history of the early days of drag racing. We need to get more people
                                        to get the photos out of where ever they are stored and submit them so they are preserved and not lost.

[AND MOVIES !….Get em in… edit-dino}

randy-fish

Drag Racer is the only magazine that I subscribe to. The Dover article can only help make more people aware
                                            of what is being done to preserve the history of the early days of drag racing. We need to get more people
                                            to get the photos out of where ever they are stored and submit them so they are preserved and not lost.

Thanks, Cully . . . I consider myself fortunate to be able to help spread the word about the old days of the sport, as well as what’s going on now. It’s a challenge to put the thing together, but I do my best to deliver a comprehensive package. I’ll tell you what, back in the early ’70s when I worked at Performance Centers of America in East Hartford, I never thought I’d have the chance to do this every day. Have a rockin’ Turkey Day!

cyv
                                                quote Randy Fish:

[

Thanks, Cully . . . I consider myself fortunate to be able to help spread the word about the old days of the sport, as well as what’s going on now. It’s a challenge to put the thing together, but I do my best to deliver a comprehensive package. I’ll tell you what, back in the early ’70s when I worked at Performance Centers of America in East Hartford, I never thought I’d have the chance to do this every day. Have a rockin’ Turkey Day!

Hey Randy,
                                                Very cool spread!
                                                I worked at Performance Centers of America in the 80’s in North Haven. I used to spend so much time hanging out there I got a job part time.
                                                Thanks again for putting my Willys in your mag!
                                                Cy

randy-fish
                                                    quote CyV:

Hey Randy,
                                                    Very cool spread!
                                                    I worked at Performance Centers of America in the 80’s in North Haven. I used to spend so much time hanging out there I got a job part time.
                                                    Thanks again for putting my Willys in your mag!
                                                    Cy

How ’bout that, we’re both PCA alumni! Hey, it was my pleasure. The original layout had more space, but we had to shift it some when the ad package increased. Glad you were in the spotlight, Cy. That thing looks like fun.

cyv
                                                        quote Randy Fish:

[

How ’bout that, we’re both PCA alumni! Hey, it was my pleasure. The original layout had more space, but we had to shift it some when the ad package increased. Glad you were in the spotlight, Cy. That thing looks like fun.

Those employee discounts sure helped a lot!
                                                        Yeah, it’s fun. Hopefully more fun this year as I’m putting in a better motor. My kid is going to run a Jr dragster this season. Now that should be fun! One of these days I’m hoping to realize my dream of building a FED! That would be the ultimate fun!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.