Dover-Lunch At SAM’S

Forums Misc Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST Dover-Lunch At SAM’S

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    6t5frlane
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 15

I seem to remember racing on a Sunday and they had some local law about sound. Wasn’t there like an hour when you could not run on the track or in the pits??

dino
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 11491

Yep…every Sunday I’de say “We’ll take our usual 1 o’clock to 2 o’clock lunch break”
    ….Seems to get permit to operate ..had to be quite during some Church service.

masracingtd1167
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 554

most of our pit crew would go to sams for holy water

dino
    Keymaster

Ah.yes Sam’s Later changed to “Gene’s 1900 club” Whew! glad I don’t drink like that anymore.

billy-casey
    • Total Posts: 305
    quote dinotheweirdo:

Ah.yes Sam’s Whew! glad I don’t drink like that anymore.

dino; i guess thats why after lunch stockers were gassers ,gassers were aitereds , 😆 altereds were modified prod. etc…. etc.

masracingtd1167
    Participant

Hey Willy looks like you have two cars to tune next year.A long one and a short one.

billy-casey
    • Total Posts: 305
    quote masracingtd1167:

Hey Willy looks like you have two cars to tune next year.A long one and a short one.

O BOY. i hope we have a new driver. 😆 😆

Bruce Hertel, 541 474 0010
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 6

Sams place about 1 mile east of the strip, near the RR tracks is open again after 20+ years closed. Or at least it was open in 2006 when I was there. The amazing thing was — everything was exactly the same!! The bar, furniture, jukebox, & floor were unchanged from 40 years ago!! The same 60’s songs were on the jukebox, it was a “Time Warp” for sure! Maybe I was dreaming, so someone should go and take a Sunday ride in the country & verify!!
    When ever I won Middle Eliminator I would go there and give the check (usually a$100) to Sam and tell him to let me know when it ran out, he never did! Alot of guys drank on those checks and that was a lot of Sundays. Probably was the best time of the day, other than beating DeSantis in his Ford powered Coupe.
    Bruce

dino
    Keymaster

Thought you guys would like this …found it in old ’74 Modified Meet program…..

Attachments:

dino
    Keymaster

BRIAN or ??? Where is “GENE & ELAINE” ?? Maybe asking a little too much here …But thay took it over From Sam, and were local…Never knew their last Name…If still around …Should show up for Dover Fest Jan.10 ???

dino
    Keymaster

Had to say it ….”THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN”….Jan. 10 !

masracingtd1167
    Participant

It’s going to feel strange walking in there the last time was the day dover closed.

robert
    • Total Posts: 14

Upstairs Bob here. Gene passed away, but Elaine Ford is still kicking and still owns the building. Don’t be surprised if she shows up on Jan. 10th. I ran into Brian the other day at Jayce’s. I told him Elaine has the original benches from Ol’ Sams that were in the dining area and is willing to donate them to the museum, I showed them to Brian.

dino
    Keymaster

Top floor Bob…ever find the signs ?

dino
    Keymaster

Bob did find the signs…thats another topic …BUT its been awhile since we remembered Lunch at Sam’s -then Genes..We had our first “Dover Fest’ there in ’08 and then the place closed…still is ….just thought of some of my silly actions there during lunch….. how I made it through the afternoon is a mystery. use search for all the related stuff .( Sams-Genes-Jayces)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.