E.J. Potter has made his last pass.

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? E.J. Potter has made his last pass.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    furyus63
    Participant

I just learned that E.J. Potter has passed away. I remember his exhibition runs like it was yesterday.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/themorningsun/obituary.aspx?pid=157416538#fbLoggedOut

Nick Tiberio
        FuryUs63

mikey

R.I.P. E.J. Potter. Loved those motorcycles with the SBC motors. Quite a Showman. 😀 …………….Mikey 🙁

tomblake
            Participant

The story about EJ Potter and his Chevy V8 motorcycle has been told by me many many times. I will never forget. Took the attached pictures at Dover back in 1966.

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

Thanks Nick…Never forget him in action at Dover …Revved it up in gear and kicked it off the kickstand….
                    “As an exhibitionist drag strip performer, he was commonly known as the “MICHIGAN MADMAN”, during the rise of his career in the 1960’s and into the early 1970’s. It was at that time, he made several historic runs on his bikes, which he called “Widowmaker” and “Bloody Mary”. E.J. became a record setter with his machines, including a 1973 entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. Following his drag racing adventures, he then became involved in the tractor pulling arena.”

babycakes
                    Participant

WOW! Another great loss to a ‘classic’ bike legend…sad!

patina
                        Participant

Guys he died last year in April. A very accomplished hot rodder.

Pat

babycakes
                            Participant

Pat,I never looked at the date 🙄 ,and I have a legitimate excuse…..’senior moment’ ; thanks for correcting 😉 😀 .Pete.

dino
                                Keymaster

It’s All Here already …just got to “SEARCH” I put in “potter” and all this came up…. 😉

Re: Division 1

Re: BB/GAS meet August 25th 1968

furyus63
                                    Participant

The obit was sent to me and I never looked at the date, thanks Pat. Dino it’s still good to look back and remember…Nick

dino
                                        Keymaster

Oh YEAH Nick thats what it’s all about here…I remember seeing him in the pits…kinda …well… A little creepy…Like a cross between looking like Buddy Holly and acting like he was spaced out on queludes …Guess you gotta be a little weird just to drive that thing ,let alone build it. 😆

anonymous

I spoke to EJ on the phone a few years ago when he was living in Florida. I wanted him to sign his book “Michigan Madman” which is a great racer’s life story with a real sense of humor. He sent me a DVD showing some of his “retirement” projects one of which was putting a turbine engine in the back of an old school bus that could be used to pump the water out of wells for farmers. In his later life he was sent around the world to third world countries to repair turbine engines. If you can find a copy of his book, read it. EJ was a true “Only in America” chracter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.