Eugene Coard Of Ronald Lyles Team

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Eugene Coard Of Ronald Lyles Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

74Gene just gave me a call to recall the “good ole Days” ….He was always with Ron ,dating back to Hiding in Ron’s ”65 Impala Trunk with 4 other guys to beat paying to get in Dover. Last ran in ’74 at a Pro-Stock meet we had. Remembers Schartman ran with Ronnie and some others. Gene has a cool website with all the “Mutt Brothers ” team history.

click Here: http://www.ronaldlyles.com/

Found this shot from Louie P….Thats either their Duster OR Brooklyn Heavy, behind Fast Eddie …need more photo s…Guys?….other car besides Ingels was Richie Zuhl’s Camaro.They arrived late getting to track ,just as first round was called. They were supposed to bring Colt…Ingels “might ‘ have subbed for missing “Heavy” if HE was a no-show ?

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

…Did “Heavy” show up ? Used to have a lot of substitutions ,if cars broke or schedules conflicted .

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

Gotta get Video Bob to check the attic.

storm-king-2

Don’t know how I missed this post earlier. My partner Richie Walsh & I met Ronnie ay Island Dragway in 73. One of Ronnies crew told Richie he wished Ronnie would do burnouts like I did ( 4th gear in the water ). After the qualifying runs, Ronnie came over to our truck & asked us to come over to his. He was running a Lenco trans at the time, we still had the Liberty 4 spd( all we could ever afford ). He told us he hated those things & gave us a complete 4 spd, just like that, 1st time we ever met the man. Later in the year, at Atco, he was waiting at our truck when I got back from qualifying. He said your freewheeling off the line, you need these. He had a brand new set of slicks on super trick wheels for us to use. They wouldn’t fit because of wrong offset. In 74 I moved to Tenn. & sold the car. I new Ronnie had died but never knew from what til now. He was a great guy!
                    Bill

storm-king-2

Willy Smallwood used to come over & talk with us at some of the Circuit races. He was a pretty cool guy, & cut some killer lights. They had first rate equipment, and were always very fast. As far as I can remember, by 1973, I think we were the only manual 4spd car that was qualifying at any of the Div. 1 WCS Meets, or the Pro Stock Circuit meets. There was a maroon 72 or 73 Camaro that was being run by just a husband & wife, no other crew. They made the show once in awhile. Can’t remember thier names, beautiful home built car.
                        Bill

paul-ceasrine

DINO,

Why does the name BUNNY BURKETT and a Hemi ring a bell in my head?

Paul

……………Ah…Up early or up late ?[edit -dino]

storm-king-2

Paul,
                                First time I saw or heard of Bunny, she was at Dover with the Texas Pro/Stock circuit. I don’t remember what she was driving then, but I seem to remember her having a Hemi Challennger at one point. Also think she ran a Challenger funny car for a while. The Texas Pro/Stock thing was all women drivers.
                                Bill

paul-ceasrine

Bill,

Thanks for clearing my memory. Bunny was definitely a MOPAR BUNNY 😀
                                    Maybe it was a Street Hemi Super/Stock car first, then a Funny Car, then a Pro/Stock car ❓

Dino, yes, my last posting was an early one. See you are paying attention. I wanted to
                                    be the fist one on line into the track. I didn’t want to get stuck on Pleasant Ridge Road,
                                    especially that little hill about 250 yards from the entrance. I wonder how many guys got rear-ended on that hill Sunday morning. Coming to the track from Route 22, and flying up
                                    that road and up and over the hill, smack into the back of a trailer.

Paul

vindicator
                                    Participant

😆 😆 😆 HEY GUYS…MEEBE…U…BE THINKIN’ ‘BOUT THE “WRONG”…BUNNY…THE “REAL” BUNNY BURKETT IS FROM…VIRGINIA…STARTED WITH A …FORD…’67 MUSTANG…DICK BLANKEN FORD (YOU’LL BE THANKIN’ BLANKEN WAS THEIR “LOGO”)…”GALS” HEADS UP SUPER/STOCK CIRCUIT…RUN BY NONE OTHER THAN TOM “SMOKER” SMITH…OF EAST COAST FUEL FUNNY CAR CIRCUIT “FAME”…THEN A PINTO PRO STOCK WITH TOM’S “GALS” PRO STOCK CIRCUIT…AND THEN…CAROL (BUNNY) BOUGHT OUR MUSTANG II ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR… (FORMALLY THE LATE LEW ARRINGTON’S “BRUTUS”..WHICH HAD HAD A BAD FIRE @ EPPING…BEFORE WE BOUGHT/ RE-BODIED)…BY EARLY 80’S..SHE DID GO TO CHRYSLER BODIES…AND HAS BEEN EVER SINCE 😀 😀 😀 …SHE’S ONE VERY SPECIAL LADY…GREAT HUSBAND(MO)/ FAMILY…STILL LIVIN’/RACIN’…FROM VIRGINIA (HAS AS MANY “BOOKINGS” TODAY…AS 25-30 YEARS AGO.. VERY POPULAR.. STILL …) THROUGHOUT THEIR CAREER: 😆 😆 …I LUV’ THAT GAL…SHE’S ENDURED AN AWFUL LOT …TO RACE….SHE’S THE REAL “DEAL”…IN ALL WAYS 😀 😀 😀 DRAKE…P.S….HEY TEXAS…IS JUST A LIL’ WAYS…FROM VIRGINIA 😆 😆 😆 (SPOTSYLVANIA…VIRGINIA)…U…CAN “CHECK OUT HER WEBSITE…PRETTY NEAT 😀 😀 😀

paul-ceasrine

Drake,

Didn’t Bunny run a SS/D 67′ Hemi GTX for the 68′ or 69′ season, briefly. There was some
                                            girl that had a Super Stock their, for a short time. I know it wasn’t Patsy Judson, she ran a black 66′ Coronet 500, in A/S in 66’/67′.

Drake, Paul here. I’m sure you remember my Pop Vinny, at the West Road Amoco station,
                                            68′ and 69′. He remembers you very well. Remembers all the times you came out of Fowler
                                            Avenue with one of your Fords, punched it-out as you headed up the hill. Many times you
                                            rattled the glass-panel windows in the garage, when the bay door was open. Scared him
                                            half-to-death a couple of times, when he was under the lift, and you cleaned out the pipes.
                                            I think maybe a black 66′ Galaxie was one of them ❓
                                            A few years back, when he went into Pawling with my Mom for lunch at “The Meeting House”,
                                            he saw your enclosed trailer parked behind the house near the restaraunt. He said he wanted to let the air out-of-all the tires, and put a note on the door, saying “Thanks for shaking the windows and blowing out my eardrums”.

Paul

dino
                                            Keymaster

Thats Drake….”roddin the Hood”…Loved to visit Carmel Ford..Drake would alaway sgive me a “Test Drive” in the latest Performance car….Got some strange looks…Good thing he knew the Carmel cops good.

vindicator
                                                Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY PAUL…REMEMBER YOUR DAD WELL…ONE SUPER GUY…AND A AWFUL HARD WORKER…I THINK IN SOME “LATER” YEARS…I SAW YOUR DAD…AND THANKED HIM…TRULY THANKED HIM FOR HAVING THE PATIENCE…WITH A KNUCKLE HEAD “KID” LIKE ME…ZOOMING PAST THE STATION @ ALL TIMES OF THE DAY & NIGHT…IT TOOK A LIL’..’ER MAYBE… A LONG WHILE…TO “GROW” UP…THE DRAG RACIN’ DEAL @ THE TRACK…”SAVED” ME 😆 😆 😆 …I KNOW THERE’S A GOD…CAUSE I NEVER KIILED…OR HURT ANYBODY 😀 😀 😀 ….COULD HAVE MANY TIMES…ALWAYS SAID…I’M A LUCKY GUY 😆 😆 😆 …BEEN READIN’ ALL ‘BOUT YOUR MOM & DAD…GLAD TO “HEAR” ALL IS WELL…THEIR WORK ETHIC…SPEAKS VOLUMES ‘BOUT…THEIR SUCCESS…NOW ABOUT THAT MARINARA/FRA DIAOVLO…SAUCE OR QUALITY INGREDIANTS…IN NC 😥 😥 😥 FUG-GET ABOUT…IT…THE GAL FROM TEXAS…PRO STOCK (BACK SOME YEARS AGO)…HEMI CAR WAS SHAY NICHOLS…OOH BABY…SHE WAS/MAYBE STILL IS…A REAL “HOTTIE” 😀 😀 😀 …HER “MATE”…WAS INTO BIG TIME OIL($$$)…ALA’ GENE “SNOWMAN” SNOW…(OL’ GENE (SADLY) WAS INTO…YOUNG BOYZ TOO)…ALL HIS RACING ACCOMPLISHMENTS…(HIS “WEALTH” HAS KEPT FROM LONG-TERM INCARCERATION) JUST DON’T HAVE MUCH TO DO WITH ONE’S DEPTH OF CHARACTER 😥 😥 😥 )KINDA’ PROVIDED A “CAREER” FOR SHAY…ALTHOUGH SOMEWHAT SHORT TERM…DRAKE

storm-king-2

Drake,
                                                        As usual you are hysterically correct. It was Shay Nichols I was thinking of. But , Bunny Burkett was at Dover with the Texas SS or Pro/Stock circuit also.
                                                        Where have you been?
                                                        Bill

storm-king-2

OK, thats what I get for reading from the last post backwards. Cut me some slack though ,I’m older than both of you. I’m developing CMS, can’t member stuff. I think there are some photo’s of that women’s S/S, or Pro/Stock show in Kathy Vignogna albums.
                                                            Bill

vindicator
                                                            Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY BILL…HAVE BEEN “SILLY” BUSY (SORTA’ LIKE BEIN’ A LUV “SLAVE”…WITHOUT…THE LUV 😆 😆 😆 )WITH THE ROUSH DEAL…IN “CHARGE” (WHY ME???) 😆 😆 😆 OF MY MOM’S CARE…AND A LIL’ HEALTH ISSUES OF “ME” OWN TOO…AINT’ IT “HELL” TO GET OLD???!!!***…BUT WHOA’ “WILBUR”…WE AINT’ GIVIN’ UP..NOT JUST YET…NOT EVER…U…GET THE IDEA…HOPE ALL IS WELL FOR U…AND FAMILY…U…BE THE BEST…’CAUSE…I SEZ’ SO 😆 😆 😆 …ALONG WITH A LOT OF OTHERS 😀 😀 😀 …DRAKE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.