F-TROOP GASSER ON EBAY..Ran At DOVER

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR F-TROOP GASSER ON EBAY..Ran At DOVER

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

You got to see this 😯 and I’ll give ya another link that has more info …the PROCK & HOWELL Gasser ..many photos in all our galleries —ODF and Historic photos at the gasser meet we had…is on eBay for $425,000 !!!(Post Removed-SOLD?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Willys-PROCK-HOWELL-1933-Willys-AA-gasser-funny-car-dragster_W0QQitemZ200278410192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item200278410192&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

here’s other link AT NEAT WEBSITE:
        http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/blog/eBay-Pick-of-the-Week-The-F-Troop-Gasser.html

dino
        Keymaster

Here It is at Dover:

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

this an old topic…I’m posting a reply to show how new replies move a old topic up in order…by the way the things so old ,the Ebay link in the first post is expired.

babycakes
                Participant

I believe the Prock and Howell Willys was up for sale about a year ago,for 1/2 a million (?).It is owned by Steve Timoszyk who restored it back to original condition (prior to purchasing it,it was used as a ‘bracket’ car painted red I believe) Steve’s family and relatives own a bunch of Willys coupes! In fact Tom Timoszyk purchased Dave Hales famous Willys ( C/G of the S&S race team) at a swap meet in Pa. around 66 I believe.It sat for years,partially restored (in primer).Dave tracked it down about 8 years ago,and fully restored it back to ‘better’ than original condition! It’s now a ‘trailer-queen’,displayed at big nostalgia events.Had to be a ‘big’ job however with the ‘F’ Troop Willys to duplicate that ‘wild’ paint scheme on the car. A ‘Dino’ job,that’s for sure!!!!

don-kauer

What a beautiful ride….I would say the nicest of the era 😎 ………….Hey if you have that kind of cash why not own it????????? 🙂

dino
                        Keymaster

First post ( for Sale) was 2008 Its resurfaced …New Owner ?

babycakes
                            Participant

Dino,a few month’s back,I had sent Ron Normann (restored Bee Line Willys) a copy of a the F-Troop Willys.Ron mentioned he was good friends for years with Steve Timoszyk and his family,and Steve still owned it,as of that time! It might have been sold lately,that’s in question at present? Anyhow,anybody that attended the Dover Reunion in the last two years must remember seeing,and ‘hearing’ Don Denardo’s ‘flip-top’ 33 Willys,looking very close to the F-Troop Willys looks like!

dino
                                Keymaster

That Red version was just at The Westchester Street Rods Show at Playland ….Bobby Lagana tuned it up and it ‘just’ might be the F-Troop .

babycakes
                                    Participant

No Dino,that’s not the F-Troop Willys. Don D’s originally came out of Connecticut.I believe Paul B. and perhaps V Bob remember it back in the 70’s,who the original owner was,that built and ran it in BB/Alt.(?)

dino
                                        Keymaster

The F-Troop gasser Ran at Dover the same day as Woodstock (This is covered in another Topic- Search> Woodstock) Aug 17,1969.Booked in as “Fuel Coupes” Prock & Howell ran fastest that day at 8:21 180 mph. Also running were the Hill Brothers, Shore & Hess and Chuck Finders. Here it is in the Dover pits that day …..Also a rare Poster Brian found .Now ‘rumor ‘ has it that there were three F-Troop coupes built in all…just maybe the Red one is one of them. Remember this Topic was started in 2008! when “one’ of the coupes surfaced on eBay

Attachments:

patina
                                            Participant

My 2 cents! There was only one.

Pat

dino
                                                Keymaster

Jay Howell Drove it and you might have noticed a ‘new’ member on the forum…user name “F TRoop’ not Jay but Steve …the ‘restorer’ Heres some info by Jay ( he’s on the HAmb ) and the car:

One of the Logghes’ customers(Jay worked there) was Tom Prock, who had a ’33 Willys A/GS machine. Howell quickly teamed with Prock, and, using a basic Stage I Logghe Funny Car chassis, built a tube-chassis Willys. Howell shortened and narrowed the chassis to fit a B&N fiberglass body, and Al Bergler did the tinwork. With a flip-top body (with one opening door) and a full roll cage, it was the envy of every team but wouldn’t pass NHRA tech inspection.

“We took it to the NHRA Regional at Indy, and they wouldn’t let it run,” Howell recalled. “Something about the framerails not being original or something like that. Car Craft magazine did a nice feature story on it, which included a cutaway drawing. We ran the car some in ’68 and put it in the attic at Logghes that winter. The Hill brothers, Pete and Bill, contacted us about forming a four-car outlaw Nitro Gasser circuit featuring their Willys, our car, Jim Shore’s Anglia, and Chuck Finders in another Anglia. We agreed to join, and I replaced the 427 Chevrolet with a 426 Chrysler, and the fun began.

“The circuit, many times, resembled a traveling circus. I was the only one of the group who had a full-time job. Getting back to work on Mondays was always a challenge. We also learned that ’33 Willys want to fly from the rear at speeds above 165. That made for some very interesting rides. Picture being sideways in the lights, left rear off the ground, then Bill Simpson’s crossform would hit, and all was well again. The Logghes came up with the solution. A pair of small wings were fabricated and installed on the rear fenders. Tom and I showed up out East for a race. We rolled the Willys out of the trailer, and the Hill brothers and group crack up, pointing and laughing and then dubbing them ‘Mickey Mouse ears.’ First pass I laid down was a 178! Next week, they all had ’em! The car pretty much dominated the circuit, running consistent 8.0s and 185 plus while pedaling it.

mikey

Yup. I see the little wings on the fenders in the pic that Dino posted. Nice car. …………….Mikey 😆

ftroop

I still own it.

Steve

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Ah,yes,no more guessing! Thank you for the response Steve,that you still own it! All of us agree,you did a ‘beautiful’ restoration’ on your F-Troop Willys!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.