FREEDOMLAND DRAG STRIP

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST FREEDOMLAND DRAG STRIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    hemi-gtx-man

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE 1/8 MILE DRAGSTRIP THEY MADE IN THE PARKING LOT OF FREEDOMLAND IN THE BRONX WHEN IT WENT OUT OF BUSINESS. ANY PICTURES OF IT?

anonymous

Hi,

We raced there a few times back in the 60’s with my brother and his 409 Chevy. I don’t think I have pictures, but I will look.

Andy Panessa

dino
            Keymaster

I remember That ! went by it heading to the Island . It was on the right heading south…in what looked like a swamp . Probably “projects” now…Have to ask the “New Yawk boyz”…yonkers ,bronx…check in here !

HERE’s What’s in Wikipedia:

Freedomland U.S.A. (usually just called Freedomland) was a short-lived, themed amusement park in the Baychester area in the northeastern part of the Borough of The Bronx, New York City. Its slogan was “The World’s Largest Entertainment Center” (later, “The World’s Largest Outdoor Family Entertainment Center”).

Freedomland opened on June 19, 1960. It closed at the end of the 1964 season when it failed to make a profit.

ON YOUTUBE !!!…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxwLuFWspU

bossguy

Is Flip from Flips Speed Shop on here? I remember Freedomland when I grew up in Yonkers but Flip could probably hear them from his house. He has his speed shop on Central Ave in Yonkers now. Also Jimmy Messinger from “The Brewmaster” Dragster lived around there.

dino
                    Keymaster

Good Questions Boss Man…we have A Brewmaster on the Forum??? and I’m sure you’l get an answer about Flip soon here . Plenty of cars with “Flip” on them in the ODF galleries and have not seen to my knowledge “The Brewmaster” photos show up yet…..But we’ll send Video Bob to the Attic and the Florida guys will go searching!

maso
                        Participant

I’m from Yonkers and lived there in the 1960’s and I never heard of that. I have been to the 1/8th mile at Islip though. Pretty crappy drag strip if you ask me…

hemi-gtx-man

I WAS WEANED AT FREEDOMLAND DRAGSTRIP. I WAS INTRODUCED TO THE 62 409’S, A MOPAR WITH BUTTONS CALLED MR. FROG, A BLACK PRIMED 55 CALLED BRUTUS. AS I GOT OLDER WE RACED AT CONNOR ST. I REMEMBER BOBBY DELSO,S SMALL BLOCK MG, J&J CUSTOM SHOP AND A FRIEND KENNY NESTER HAD BURKE AVE SPEED SHOP. I MIGHT HAVE SOME DATES WRONG IN MY MIND, BUT WHAT A TIME. I HAD A BUNCH OF PICTURES THAT WERE LOST IN A FLOOD, BUT I STILL HAVE A FEW FROM DOVER. I WILL TRY TO DIG THEM OUT.

dino
                                Keymaster

Got more…Freedomland Closed because of Labor Union disputes (paying 3 times for the same job), the fact that eveybody went to the ’64 World’s Fair instead of it, and they never planned ahead to be able to maintain in harsh winters. It became CO-OP city and as far as Racing …nothing showing up. Our guys may have more info THAN ANYBODY about the racing. A lot of new names / cars being dropped here and lets track them down !

gene-terenzio-sr
                                    Participant

We ran there with The Let It Fly A/A What a S#!t hole, cracks had grass growing out of them, but hey back then would have ran on dirt, was like 25 miles from Stamford, just pass the “Hutch”, where all the big boy street racers would run at night, Not us.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Did this thing-TRACK -actually have a name ?and was it Run by an actual business? Who ran it ? How ? and can we contact anybody ?

hemi-gtx-man

WHAT I REMEMBER IT WAS CALLED FREEDOMLAND DRAG STRIP, PLENTY OF CARS. I WAS NOT OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE, BUT IT WAS A BLAST IN THE BRONX. IT WAS A REAL 1/8 MILE LEGAL TRACK. I THINK IT WAS RENTED FROM WHO EVER OWNED THE PROPERTY, MAYBE TO COVER THERE LOSS. IT WAS ALL SO NEW IN 64. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR YEARS ABOUT INFO ABOUT THE TRACK, WITH NO LUCK. SO I TRIED HERE.

billy-casey

Yes I remember Freedom Land. It was only open for a few years. During the winter months there was drag racing in the parking lot. I believe it was run by the local car clubs and the NYPD to try to stop street racing, which believe me was big back then. It only lasted two winters I think. Most of the street racing in that area was on Conner Street and the big hang out and meeting place was the White Castle on Alerton Ave. in the Bronx. I can go on and on and on. 😛 😛 😛 Billy

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Tell us MORE (I could go On & On ) Photos anyone …We got a real “find” going on here !

hemi-gtx-man

HEY BILLY IT WAS GREAT BACK THEN . DO YOU REMEMBER BOBBY DELSO’S MG WITH THE SMALL BLOCK AND SIX DEUCES, HE ALLWAYS RACED AT CONNER ST. EVERYONE MET AT THE CASTLE BACK IN 69. I HAD A BLACK HEMI GTX THAT I BOUGHT FROM FRANK GIORDANO AT ATLAS CHRYSLER ON TREMONT AVE. WE ALSO RACED AT THE CONNECTING HIGHWAY ALSO THE AIRPORT DINER. I THINK ONE OF THE CLUBS WAS BEACH AVE DRAG TEAM MIGHT HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN FREEDOMLAND’S TRACK.

quote Billy Casey:

Yes I remember Freedom Land. It was only open for a few years. During the winter months there was drag racing in the parking lot. I believe it was run by the local car clubs and the NYPD to try to stop street racing, which believe me was big back then. It only lasted two winters I think. Most of the street racing in that area was on Conner Street and the big hang out and meeting place was the White Castle on Alerton Ave. in the Bronx. I can go on and on and on. 😛 😛 😛 Billy
                                                            billy-casey

yes I remember it well .. white castle was the Mels Drive IN of the Bronx..In 69 I was more involved with The Wedge Inn on boston post road and was involved with some pretty big dollar stuff on the Hutch pkwy. boy if my wife ever new what I was doing on those late nights.. 😆 😳 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.