Going to Garlits Museum Saturday

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Going to Garlits Museum Saturday

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mikey

😆 Just wanted to let you guys know that I’m going to the Garlits Museum Saturday. I’ve got sort of a list from Dino about some things of interest, and wanted to see if anyone else has a wish list(Within reason), certain car pictures, etc. My 15yr old daughter checked out the web site, said cool, I’m goin too!! 😯 😯 Well, we will have TWO cameras to shoot with!! We will be leaving about 9:30 Sat morning……………………….Mikey 😆

dino
        Keymaster

If You See Don …GET HIS Autograph of Course and tell him to answer his e-mail from me 😉

mikey

Yes Sir, Right Away Sir. If I see him, did you think I would NOT ASK?? Jeeze, Dino!!! 😮 😮 😮 😮 …..MIkey

jackman
                Participant

Hey Mikey if ya see a Red ’68 Hemi Coronet R/T owned by a knife sharpener by trade; the car was called “El Cortello” (The Knife) it only had a few thousand original miles, last seen at the Don Garlits museum. When I was a kid I would see that R/T a lot just sitting on the side of 9W in Newburgh N.Y. it was spotless often thought of it and one day in the 80’s I found a magazine pic of Don Garlits standing next to it at his museum and a little plack that said car hailed from Newburgh N.Y.,,,,,,,,, if ya see it and want to snap a pic that would be cool 😀 😀

mikey

Done…………….if I see it!! 😆 😆

dino
                        Keymaster

Hey this is getting good …Mikey starting to get a “menu” of things to do …Oh- if they have a snack stand,get me a hot dog with mustard.

mikey

Dino, I got a few PMs, and got more requests, gave my regular e-mail to those who PM’d me, I think Cassie (daughter)and me are going to have a fun day!! 😆 😆 😆 ……………………Mikey

dino
                                Keymaster

Oh- order of fries and a Slurpie…Pick up Anything printed for Free and mail to me…brochures,flyers,ads,order forms and a business card ….. maybe shots of Don’s cars (If they’re all there)that ran at Dover:

1962-Swamp Rat III-C..Connie Swingle ,driver…TIME run -?
                                    1963-Swamp Rat 5-B..Don Drove…8:12 @ 192
                                    1964 (May 3) Wynns Jammer (with Weed Burners)…Don Drove…8;11@ 196
                                    1965 (May 24) WynnsJammer (with Zoomies)…Don Drove…8:03 @ 196

dino
                                    Keymaster

Mikey’s there now …..Drool

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Just Talked to Mikey and daughter Cassie on the Scrambled “Dover Satillite Spy Phone “…He DID get Don’s Autoraph ! …Don was working on something in the back room and came out to say hi. Mikey says he doesn’t believe the mass of stuff in the place and how in 20- years he never visited…just an hour from his house. Photos and ‘stuff’ to be sent by Cassie as soon as they get home. And she’s getting photos of all your guys requests including “El Cortello” it’s there !

dino
                                            Keymaster

Found …El Cortello…safe and sound at ” Don’s Place”.

Attachments:

mikey

Dino, and everyone else. Bigs museum is absolutely incredible!! 😯 😯 😮 The stuff that is in there just boggles the mind!! Would you believe that Don and his brother built a rear engine dragster in 1957??? Yup, and I got the pictures. 😆 😆 The only problem that I found, is everything is crammed in so tight that you are hard pressed to get good photos. 😥 😥 Also, the itineraries are hard to get shots of because they are small, and far from where you can stand without getting in deep crap!! Don needs another building for the stuff. Even if he took all the older cars(1920s to 1940s) out,and put them in another building, he could rearrange both buildings and it would still be tight!! 😮 I’m really glad we went, and we plan to go back. Now that I have a feel for the place it will be easier to find stuff next trip. 😆 😆 😆 More photos on the way(124) I think!! 😀 ……………………Mikey

jackman
                                                    Participant

Hey Mikey a big thank you for taking the time to find a the El Cortello Hemi Coronet 😀 😀 , did it have a sign that said it came from Newburgh N.Y,? Back in the late 60’s early 70″s when I was 8 or 9 I would see that car occasionally as my Dad drove the family in or out of Newburgh n.y. and that car was for ever wedged in my brain and probley the reason I am a Mopar nut,,,,, but fast forward to 1985 my employer knew the owner of the Hemi Coronet so we went to “Pete’s” house so I could see the car up close but the bummer was the car was recently sent south so nevr did see it a few years pas and I spotted it in a Mag with Big Daddy and a mention of Newburgh then fast forward to doverdragstip.com Storm king informs me that the cars name is “El Cortello” and that its a Coronet , I had it in my head that it was a Charger strange 😮 ,,,,,,,, any way thanks for the pic I need to get down to the Garlit’s museum just to see the root of this Mopar madness that is stuck in my head

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Heres another of Mikeys Photos… Ah…I have 124 to go through!

Attachments:

storm-king

Jackman, Pete was a friend of my Dad’s and was down at our house quite a bit. I think he moved to Fla. He was an interesting guy, talked so fast it was hard t understand him a lot. Bill might have some Pete stories, I’m not sure…
                                                                I know we were sure surprised to see it at Big Daddy’s one year, and when we went ack the next year it wasn’t there, but we didn’t go into the “stock” car section of the museum, ever.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.