Matty Winspur Hudson Racer …..FOUND!

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Matty Winspur Hudson Racer …..FOUND!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Heres some of the latest replies …Looking for the Pilot of the’ Fabulous Hudson Jet’ he ran with Clifford Thorpe ( or Maybe Jack Clifford) And the “Fabulous Hudson Hornet” Q/S :
        I actually found a 97 year old Matthew Winspur in Ct. But the trail stopped short of getting a phone number …it was Newtown or Monroe…Check your phone books up there. sure would like to find the Hudson Racer

by jaywood on Thu Jun 03, 2010
        L. Winspur( only one) in Newtown 39 Orchard Hill-

by action rat on Thu Jun 03, 2010
        Hey Dino:
        Matty had his “Matty’s Speed Shop” in Monroe. Sold the land long ago, it’s now a small shopping center. Matty alway’s made money. Heard he moved to Florida. I just checked information and there is no number in Monroe or surrounding area. He was quite the character.action rat

I did find an older (90’s) in Florida …very hard to trace. Related also is Mag Stein.Ran a Camaro with Matty’s Speed Shop on the doors.

dino
        Keymaster

Found this from a previous post:
            Re: GREAT CHEATER STORIES
            by dinotheweirdo on Wed Nov 19, 2008
            MATTY WINSPUR ! A STAR at this stuff…so much so ,that he and Clifford Thorp we’re Banned From NHRA for ten years…Seemed NHRA couldn’t ‘Find” factory specs on a ’54 Hudson Jet .BUT no problem The two printed there own! Had what they called “the Argentina Export Kit” option- Nascar cam, pistons and Carb.THAT was only available REALLY on the HORNET full sized car.(See Cars Movie-‘Doc’) And when He took me and my brother to a record run at Englishtown with his “Fabulous Hudson Hornet” Q/S ….seemed he was a “little light” …so for the back-up run we installed the radio back in the dash .I was loaded with Bricks and put back on ,the bumper guards, filled with lead… he laughed all the way back to Ct, with his record.

dino
            Keymaster

The cagey racer in action:

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

Mag…after the willys
                    Photo by V-Bob

Attachments:

jaywood

Don Gallant might know something,….. You could try him? -Jason

dino
                        Keymaster

Jay …very intuitive…Good idea too. I’m on it tomorrow.

jaywood

Thanks, I was there a few weeks back and he was selling a guy doing a resto on a Hudson some engine stuff. The guy had valve train questions and Don rattled off answers like his alphabet…. Made me think of it. Don’s a great guy!- Jason

break-away
                                Participant

Saw Matty and his wife at one of Dover Re-Unions at Markus Dairy,Danbury,Ct.He came by to talk with me and to look at Break Away.We talked for a while and he said he was living in Florida.Don’t remember what year it was,but it was one of the earlier ones.Maybe Smokey knows something.

Break Away

dino
                                    Keymaster

Florida?…I’m on it !

dino
                                        Keymaster

Ok …get this Matthew Winspur age 72 -Bonita Springs ,Fla. BUT also found Matthew Winspur age 97 ! -Monroe,Ct. ( His Dad ?) ….digging some more.

storm-king

I don’t know how many Husdon’s ran at Dover I just remember that in ’63, there was either an L or K/S Hudson, with the more traditional “Fabulous Hudson Hornet” lettering on it, that ran at Dover. It was a national record holder according to the lettering on it, at one time or another.
                                                A few years ago I was talking to Art Carr and we were just chewin’ the fat and somehow I happened to mention that car, and Art says, I own that car! He was preparing it to run it at Bonneville.
                                                That’s all I’ve got…

dino
                                                Keymaster

Never know the power of the internet…check this out, just recieved:

Hi Dino, was doing a little searching online to see what I could for my Dad on there, and I came across the Dover site. He’s still around, and I’m sure he’d be happy to chat with you. He doesn’t really do the whole online thing though. The Matthew Winspurs you found are my Grandfather at 97, and of course my Dad at 72. Not in Bonita, that address is almost 30 years old. He’s in DeLand Florida now. I put in for a registration to your forum, and I’d like to get him a premium membership as well . . Frank.
                                                    ……..Oh, attached a photo that my Mom just loves to see. Makes her wonder what he was doing at the drags some of those Sundays…

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Just talked to Matty…recalls he moved to Florida in ’75….Says the Hornet was sold and restored to stock.
                                                        He works with his son Frank at Moebius Models in DeLand Florida.This was an outgrowth of his wife having one of the largest Barbie Doll distribution warehouses in the country.Into some really cool stuff, Space ships and Hero figures..Going into CARS for 2011-first will be a 1953 Hudson Hornet and a 1955 Chrysler 300D!. Matty’s got a computer on his desk ,he says “Maybe I’ll figure this thing out & look through the site” check out the website:

http://www.moebiusmodels.com/

mikey

Dino, I only live about 30 to 45 minutes from DeLand. If I can get in touch, in person, if you set somethoing up, I could maybe get some things from him for you and the Forum. Just a thought. ……..Mikey 😆

dino
                                                            Keymaster

He said he’d try to find his scrap book…”Where ever my wife hid it” …still the some nutty guy…reminded me of the time we invaded the banquet at the Summer Nationals Hurst put on and Bobby LaRegina was eating the shrimp whole -shells and all. We stole Jack Redds watermelon too. He remembered our ‘party’ times …I had forgot. He stays busy helping son Frank…wonder how a Hudson became they first Car the make ??? 😆 Mikey …maybe take a burn over to the doll factory and get a photo or too of him, holding Spider man or Elvira.Franks on the Forum…Matty trying to figure his computer…Franks user name:
                                                                moebius

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.