Matty Winspur Hudson Racer …..FOUND!

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Matty Winspur Hudson Racer …..FOUND!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Dino,this ‘sparked’ my interest; most guys ran G.M. Ford,and Mopars in ‘stock classes.This Hudson was known as a ‘sleeper’,mainly driven by our elders at the time way back when.For curiosity sake,I have a ‘Cars of the 1950’s’ book.It states the 1954 ‘Hornet’ came through with a 308 flathead 6 with ‘twin’ carbs,putting out 170 horse power.Now here’s what it also stated,A ‘special ‘7-X’ version reportedly put out close to 220 h.p.! Hmmm,I wonder? You feel bad for the ‘honest’ stock class racer,as far as fairness goes,however,someone mentioned in the forum,I quote,”your not cheatin’ till you get caught” unquote.

bossguy

Smokey Yunick had his fling with the Hornet also. I remember reading that he removed the flywheel ring gear and drilled holes radially around the flywheel to lighten it. Then he put the ring gear back on to hide the holes. ๐Ÿ˜†

dino
            Keymaster

Cakes ! ‘sleeper is right!…Look at the photos…thats a funtional hood scoop too. Cam-heads -carbs …all legal options so Hudson could dominate Nascar. Matty had a history before this car of “trying ” the same options on the little Jet he ran. See the movie “Cars” and the character Doc’s Hudson…They did their homework on that movie!

patina
                Participant

That movie is one of my all time favs. And living in Flagstaff AZ like I did I recognized every place in the movie. ZYes they did do their homework. Made me want to get a Hudson for a street rod. If I ever get out of this place I’m gonna git me one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mugcw3aJqp8.

For those of you that haven’t seen the movie here is part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Or7O_VsBe8

Pat

dino
                    Keymaster

Why I do this ๐Ÿ˜† …It’s just darn interesting…Matty and Jack Clifford had quite the Inside info…Twin H power… ad says only Chrome Alloy heads in the industry-Super Induction Engine and pinned in place piston rings. Won Nascar Championship in ’54.PAT…Heres “DOC” in Action! Very authentic -these Pixar Guys
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8-0XHWA2I

Attachments:

super-sport-pete

we bought many parts from MATTYS. he was always better on $$$ than the bridgeport area shops,plus he knew what brands were working and which were not. no bait +switch.i was using and still have a WEBER steel flywheel i used up until 7 years ago.its been in 5 cars and it was used at DOVER in the old days. try that with CHINESE JUNK!

dino
                            Keymaster

Look what I Found ?…hiding in the Patsy Judson Collection in Big ODF galleries All This Time..NHRA Record Holder I/SA: looks like “Clifford Thorpe Winspur” under door and Toths Auto Sales -Monroe,Ct. on rear quarter..this would be around ’64.

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

BOBBIGMAC just sent this:
                                    “Dino, I was just reading thru the January 2011 HOT ROD DELUXE magazine and on page# 94 there is a picture of Matty Winspur’s FABULOUS HUDSON HORNET. I knew it was your signature .
                                    It sure brought back some good memories .

Bob McArthur”

dino
                                    Keymaster

BULLITEN -The Fabulous Hudson Hornet Has Been FOUND!!!Just In Today From Dave Eggleton …..”I have Mattys Hudson, it has been in a barn in CT for 35 plus years, I was researching the car and came across some of your posts. I would like to restore the car to its former glory.”
                                        I emediatly Pleaded for Him to Bring it This Weekend ….His Reply >”Awesome , I will make it a priority, I am only an hour from the track”
                                        ] Wait’ll Matty Hears This !!! …Still has my Lettering on it … Found This Under Cheater Stories…shows ‘my” connection to the car:

Re: GREAT CHEATER STORIES
                                        Postby DINO ยป Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm
                                        MATTY WINSPUR ! A STAR at this stuff…so much so ,that he and Clifford Thorp we’re Banned From NHRA for ten years…Seemed NHRA couldn’t ‘Find” factory specs on a ’54 Hudson Jet .BUT no problem The two printed there own! Had what they called “the Argentina Export Kit” option- Nascar cam, pistons and Carb.THAT was only available REALLY on the HORNET full sized car.(See Cars Movie-‘Doc’) And when He took me and my brother to a record run at Englishtown with his “Fabulous Hudson Hornet” Q/S ….seemed he was a “little light” …so for the back-up run we installed the radio back in the dash .It was loaded with Bricks and put back on ,the bumper guards, filled with lead… he laughed all the way back to Ct, with his record.

And Matty thought it was sold
                                        and returned to stock…surprise-surprise.

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

This Just Gets Better….Dave Took it out of it’s tomb tonight…Check this out…I Forgot! AHRA allowed you to use a hotter cam…Martty Had It! …New York National Speedway.

Attachments:

dino
                                            Keymaster

Matty’s Son Frank Called …They are flipping out…Matty is out of town But said They are going to produce a Scale Model Kit of the car and I’m doing the Artwork to match my lettering for the Decals. Gone but NOT Forgotten…Dover Guys Never say never.

340swinger
                                                Participant

What a Country !

jrstk

Man oh man, how cool is that! Great to see the car survives. Im looking forward to seeing the restoration of this one. I spoke with Matty while writing the Junior Stock book and feel I still dont know enough about this car.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Doug …just for you…this from Bucksnort’s photobucket files posted in ‘Photos from event’ topic…It’s all here someplace, just got to search it out.

Attachments:

jrstk

Awesome Dino. Thanks.
                                                                I posted the image, and a link to this site on the facebook, Junior Stock Memories page.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.