MONTGOMERY AIRPORT

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST MONTGOMERY AIRPORT

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    pacers-auto-inc
    Participant

Maso-yes…354 CI. I added another photo as well. Those wheels were lighter than the spoke rims so they were used instead. Charlie used to refer to them as the manhole covers.

maso
        Participant
            quote Pacers Auto Inc ®:

Maso-yes…354 CI. I added another photo as well. Those wheels were lighter than the spoke rims so they were used instead. Charlie used to refer to them as the manhole covers.

I remember reading about you guys back in the early 1960’s…!

Nice to know that you’re still active.

pacers-auto-inc
            Participant

Thanks! Yes, we are very active with car shows and many of the nostalgia events around the country. We were at the March meet, York, Supernats, Funny Car reunion at E-town and Indy Nationals this year and we’ll be heading to the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame Weekend in Henderson, NC the weekend of Oct 16-18th. See: http://www.eastcoastdragtimeshalloffame.com. George Snizek, “Charlie Dodge” Hagenmayer, Otto Qualliotine and Ken “KB” Braun of The Pacers team were all inducted last year and we’re looking forward to seeing our friends Jerry Baltes, Joe Gerdelmann, Johnny Rocca, Fred Bear and many others at the reunion.

This forum has some great history on it so I’ll be on here often.

dino
                Keymaster

Wish we didn’t have a date conflict with Henderson And our Dover Race at Island…BUT only way we could swing it without conflicting with other tracks ,NETO and ther Race series. Jack Redd actually coming to our event…Have to sort “THAT” out when I see him. ❓

pacers-auto-inc
                    Participant

Yes, I spoke with Jack about that in York. He invited us to go to Island as well, but I our plans were already made to go to NC.
                        Remember to wish him a happy birthday.

dino
                        Keymaster

Yeah…the Old Fart is quite a Character! wants a Birthday Cake 😆 Remember sending him the Dover Reports on Mon. Mornings …

mikey

I remember my dad taking me there a few times in the late fifties and early sixties to watch the drags, and then if there was a stock car race in Middletown, we would head there to finish out the day. Man, what memories!!!

dino
                                Keymaster

FOUND ! the First Article About Opening Day At Montgomery July 27-1958.top photo shows early rail ofDon Raleigh (of N.J.) …later became famous ‘Don’s Speed Shop’ .

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

Working on cleaning up the story…heres first part:

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Heres second part of copy:

Attachments:

maso
                                            Participant

Dino…

I did a Google search on “George Dammonn” and got what could be an interesting lead. Go see:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=hPBlzQrtbzwadgDzz5c22w&cp=11&gs_id=21&xhr=t&q=George+Dammann&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=George+Dammann&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d45f27098c3bb4d9&biw=1097&bih=510

…for yourself.

It seems that there is a George H. Dammonn who must have been the author of some collectable books on automobiles and that connects favorably here. The guy who wrote the article above is obviously somebody with professional writing skills and that connects too.

Check it out.

Maso

Go see this one too: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=George+H.+Dammann&sts=t&x=0&y=0

babycakes
                                                Participant

Wow Dino,nice find! A tour down ‘Memory Lane’,I wasn’t there opening day,but soon after as a young teenager,that was the place to be! Good ole Montgomery Dragstrip! 😀

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Heres More from that whole page story blown up:

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                        Participant

As I look at the pictures Dino,how well I remember the ‘stockers’,that were ‘daily’ drivers,driven to the track.Pop off the hub caps,take some air out of the tires,remove the spare,and take off the air cleaner,and bump up the timing a few degrees,ready to race.However,did any of us wonder what we’d do,if we blew any of the drivetrain and how we get back home? I know I didn’t back then (young and foolish I guess,just pumped up to bang some gears as a teenager!). The kids today with there foreign-four bangers,are following suit;daily drivers,set the timing and fuel settings with computers,and afterwards,drive them home.Do you think they worry about breakage either?….nah!Like Alfred E. Neuman,”What Me Worry”! 😮

vbob
                                                            Participant

HEY
                                                                At the Ct. Drag Way Slide Show last Saturday.a guy had movies of his dragster racing at Montgomery from 1959. Lots of footage and very good quality !!!

‘V’

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.