My 65 AFX Project again.

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING My 65 AFX Project again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    howie

I started an 65 belvedere afx a few years ago and had al the altercation done and had to sell it. Well I am back only this time with a 65 coronet and I have more parts than ever to finish this one. I got my shop built and now I am back onto building my cars. This will be powered by none other than injected hemi and will have the k frame and not a straight axle. Here is what I am starting with

Attachments:

storm-king

Cool deal Howie!

howie

Thanks Gary, Started ripping it apart this past weekend and got er stripped down to bare bones.

Attachments:

howie

I have all my fiberglass parts ready to go. I called sled city fiberglass and was going to order the front end but in the end went for the whole package. Hood and scoop, Decklid, fenders doors and the first dash that he made. I traded a sb electronic dist kit for a pair of his bumpers. Found my hilborn on ebay brand new never been run. Hoping to do some match racing when I get it finished.

storm-king

I guess Mark saved all the tooling for locating the torsion bars and control arms and all? I remember he made a really nice professional looking jig to do all that. Find some “C” body torsion bars yet?
                        That looks like another really clean car; this one from Az also?

howie

I think it was Marks idea for me to build another one as he mentioned it a while back and so I was up for it. I took the car up there and he dug the tools he made to hold the front end geometry and the k frame. Wouldn`t you know all of the measurements and notes were written on them so it should go by pretty quickly. I am now getting all of the front end pieces powdercoated and bushings,balljoints gathered up.

howie

I am running out of room. I will be getting rid of my excess after I figure out what to keep.

Attachments:

howie

Now with everything gone it is ready to get moving foreward.

Attachments:

thekidd312

how love the 65 like to it when done. i have 65 with tilt nose straight axle not alt wheelbase thought. built it 20 years ago drove it on street for years with 440 then hoped up 340 back to 440. then turned ion to dragcar only 440 6pack. now in garge less motor trans for 5 years. boy if i didnt get rid of parts like headlite tail lites id put back on road owell maybe some day. what do you plan for drive line? is it going tobe street or drag or both? good luck billy the kidd bender

howie

Well Mark did some thrashing and I threw money at it this past week and it is on the ground. I bought all new front end parts and had the suspension powdercoated. I went and picked it up this past friday and now have it at home to mock up the front end and install the dash and steering. I will post more pics tonight.

howie

The front end was cut off and 2×3 frame rails were installed. Luckily we had all the measurements wrote down on the tools that we used on the last car.

Attachments:

howie

Here is the jig that was made to hold the front end geometry together while locating.

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

Looks like you’re starting with a fairly solid/rot-free hardtop? Kinda helps make the decision for you to go along the lines of the “factory” fleet of 11 cars. So far your frontend work is real close to the way they were. There was slight differences among them as some of them were done by the racers who ran them (only a few were completely built at Amblewagon/Chrylser; Harrop’s Carpet was 1 of them). You gonna move the right side shock mount for clearance to pull the cover for adjusting the valves?

What Hilborn setup do you have? Short stack/auto setup with a belt-drive pump maybe? Thanx for posting, keep the pics coming.

howie

This car was sitting down in arkansas and once I got it home had to alter it as the floors were rotted and pretty much gone. Here are some more pics of the front end

Attachments:

howie

I went to the 63,64,65 mopar website and was able to download a copy of that technical manual that showed how the factory altered the cars. That and with a lot of old magazines to help me build the car.

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.