NEW PARTS FOR "PAPA’S TOY"!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING NEW PARTS FOR "PAPA’S TOY"!!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    masracingtd1167
    Participant

Mickie any time you can test stuff without having to go to the track is the right thing to do.You ere able to make some changes and see what they did . I don’t have any expeience with a chassis dyno but I do with an engine dyno . In the last three weeks we dynoed one of Billy Griffin’s comp motors three different times . What we learned in 3 dyno sessions would take a whole season of racing to learn.

mikey

Thanks, I really enjoyed the whole thing. It was very interesting in several respects. I got a lot of information to help me make some decisions down the road, and that’s important. The biggest thing was being able to find a shift point where the car is still making power without killing the motor. I was very surprised that it was still making horsepower when it hit the rev limiter. I really thought it would nose over around 62 to 6500. But, that’s a good thing, because if I ever decide to push the car hard, I know it’s capable. I’m also happy with the horsepower to the ground numbers. It’s not a very big motor, and to make that much at the rear wheels is good enough for me. With a little “tweeking”, I might get it to the 380hp mark, or a little more. I’m definately glad I did it, and I’ll probably do it again after making some small changes. ………..Mikey 😆

maso
            Participant
                quote mikey:

…With a little “tweeking”, I might get it to the 380hp mark, or a little more. I’m definately glad I did it, and I’ll probably do it again after making some small changes. ………..Mikey 😆

Are you going to do a little tweeking to the chassis and suspension set up…?

mikey

When I took the car to the Dyno, it was with my converted Demon Carb, and the E85 tune-up was perfect, good air/fuel numbers. I’ve converted and built another carb to have as a spare, and also to loan to any of you guys that would like to try the E85. It is set up for my engine, but should work well on just about any motor with a few “tweeks”. I also realized the day after the Dyno tests, that I had forgotten to move the timing back to 36 or 38 degrees. I was trying to see how many degrees each dot was on the Crank trigger plate, and I had retarded the trigger pick-up. Well, I got sidetracked, and forgot to re-set the timing. When I checked it the next day, it was set at 25 degrees. I wonder how much HP that cost me?? Duh! Anyway, I’ll be going back to the Dyno again to check it out with the new carb, and the timing WILL BE CORRECT!! Here are some pictures of the “new” carb. A friend gave me his old 750 double pumper. After all was said and done, the only thing I was able to use off it was the throttle plate. I had to buy a new main body because of the screw-in air bleeds, and I had to get 2 new float bowls because the threads in the fuel inlets on both bowls were stripped. Maybe one day I can find some “Heli-coils” for them. I saved all the parts from this carb and the Demon, just in case I ever decide to run gas again. ………..Mikey 😆

Attachments:

maso
                    Participant
                        quote mikey:

When I took the car to the Dyno, … I’ll be going back to the Dyno again to check it out with the new carb, and the timing WILL BE CORRECT!!…

I want to hear all about it. Let us know. 😉

maso
                        Participant

Mikey…

We need an update.

😀

mikey

Hopefully, I’ll have the block, pistons, and the rods at my house by the end of this week, or middle of next week. Block is done except for align hone/bore if needed. I have my old 6″ rods, new wrist pins, Venolia pistons, and my new Scat Crankshaft. I’ve also got a new Isky roller camshaft, and I also bought a set of 1.6 ratio roller rockers, and a new double roller timing chain and gears, cam button and bolt locks for the cam gear. Rich is getting me another oil pan for this engine, since the other block I purchased a pan for has a passenger side dipstick. This block is a drivers side dipstick. So, I’ll have all the parts for my “little engine” pretty soon. This motor will be 357 cubic inches. A .040 over 350. The other block will be for the 383 that I want to build in the near future. My heads are being looked at as we post. Should be fine, just a”touch-up” on the valves. They are Brodix Track Ones, with the 2.08 intake valves. Once I get all the parts back for the “short block”, I’ll start posting some pictures of everything, and my progress until finished. Unless I change my mind, I’m going to use the 1.5 rockers to start with, make some passes, and then swap over to the 1.6 rockers. I’ve e-mailed the Isky tech department about mixing the 1.5s and the 1.6s on intake and exhaust to see what works too. The old cam was a 640 lift, this one’s a 602, and the 1.6s will get it back to 640. I just want to see what works the best. Well, that’s it for now, more to come. ……………………Mikey 😆

maso
                                Participant

That sounds like really good progress… 😀

babycakes
                                    Participant

Mikey,keep the ‘ motorvation’ going,the ‘Willys’ awaits!

mikey

Thanks, Pete. The biggest hold-up is the money issue, but I have some patience left. I’m starting to get excited. ………..Mikey 😮 😯 😆 😆 😆 😆

babycakes
                                            Participant

Hey Mikey,one of the ‘Golden Rules’ when it comes to “$$$$” (money).family 1st.and fun 2nd. Knowing you Mikey,you’ll make it with your power plant for your Willys; keep the motivation and faith,it’ll happen!!!! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.