New Storm King Pics From Gary and Bill.

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING New Storm King Pics From Gary and Bill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I’m starting a new topic for the Smrtics, and the Storm King Cars. I’m posting some pics sent to me by Gary, from Bill. The first 5 pics are of Bills Plymouth Scamp, soon to be a Legal NHRA Super Stocker. Gary doesn’t think it will ever run as a SS/? car, but who knows. …………….Mikey ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜†

Attachments:

mikey

A few more pics. I think this car will be “STORM KING XI. ๐Ÿ˜† I’m sure that Bill and Gary will want to Edit all the photos, so it should be interesting. Glad I could help out. …………………Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

Attachments:

storm-king

Well, I was hoping Bill would get on here sooner and tell his side of the story, since this is his ride…He’s been real busy between getting the car itself this far along, and getting his new shop fully functional.
                Short story; this was going to be a mostly street/ occasional racer. You know haw that works out!
                It’s now slated to be pure racer. It will have an NHRA certified cage in it, but the car likely won’t ever really be S/S legal, at least not while Bill owns it.
                The plan is a killer small block (our first!) and the lightest possible weight we can get the car down to, which should be pretty light considering the type of composites we do.
                The car has had the spriongs moved inboard 3″ each side, and its sitting on a narrowed Mopar 8.75 rear ,which has been braced.
                We brought the car home from the chassis shop just to pull out the windshield and dashboard to make finishing the roll cage easier for the chassis guys.
                The car’ll have lexan windows, and basically every body component we can unbolt will be replaced with aerospace grade carbon fiber.
                We’re shopping engine builders still, but Muscle Motors is high on the list, as is Koffel’s Place.
                Tentatively, plans are that this car will carry the Storm King livery. It’ll be number 6.
                I’m looking for a 15 X 4 inch set of Ansen/ET’s for the front with a 5 on 4.5 Mopar/Ford bolt pattern.

dino
                Keymaster

Just Got this : From BILL I’ll have to help him remember how to log in :

Dino, Please don’t hate me, I can’t get on the site again. Saw all this new stuff on the clone, I might hurt myself laughing about this. The last 2 weeks have been pretty wild. First the son of the guy that we sold Storm King #1 to got a hold of me on facebook.He is trying to track it down, & has some leads. He is also thinking about building a clone of it. Next, the guy that bought my Duster from the guy I sold it to found me on class racer, & emailed me. I had never heard of this site before, so don’t know how he got my address. He is trying to track down the guy he sold it to.
                    As to the current build, I bought a 520 hp Indy Maxx mtr. It should be ready in a week or so. John Cope is building me a 727 torqueflite. It should be a solid 9sec car at the weight we’re shooting for. Right now it is ugly as sin with all the mismatched body parts. Can’t wait to get the Carbon on & get it painted & lettered. Would have loved to go with a 4 spd, but my hands give me some trouble, so will stick with the automatic. Have a lot of work to go on it yet. Still hope to have it running by end of June.
                    Bill / Storm King II

storm-king-2

Gary & I just got back from picking up my motor from Indy. They were supposed to upgrade my motor to a forged crank, cam change to make it pull all the way thru the 1/4 mile, & still make 520 HP. They didn’t come close. Gary & I watched all the Dyno pulls, & it made 555 HP at 6200 rpm, & 568 lbs of torque at 5200 rpm where the HP was 522. Ken also upped the compression to 11.25. Can’t begin to tell you how pleased I am with them. Wish the rest of the car was ready for it. We were told it should be virtually maintainance free except for occassionally setting the valves. After being away from the sport for so long it is re-assuring to have a piece of equipment like this with all the latest stuff, just turn the key & have fun.
                        Bill

dino
                        Keymaster

Just in From Bill . . . . .
                            “Scamp comes out of the chassis shop April 14th. Hope to have it running by end of May. Plan on being at Lebanon with it in August.
                            I’ll post photos as it goes together. It will look the period, but I think it’s going to be pretty light.”
                            Bill

dino
                            Keymaster

More from Gary:
                                March 30:
                                “.About to leave for Bowling Green to pick up my Arrow pickup, which was selected for a Hot Rod Magazine segment of “Rescue Repair”. Photo shoot for the magazine. Wearing my Dover T shirt!

dino
                                Keymaster

Here’s some images of the new “Storm King” Plymouth coming together. They are pushing to have it completed and some shake down runs before the Dover meet at Lebanon. All the suspension is ready to reinstall. Leaf springs, and torsion bars!

Attachments:

storm-king

Well, yeah, we’re making progress! Bill has the hood and deck lid about ready to tool off of so we can pop some nice strong, light carbon fiber parts for it, he’s already done some unusual parts in carbon, one’s that most people would never think of doing that way because no company offers them that way. Who knows? Could be a whole new venue for us!
                                        I’ve got a lot more cleaning and paint to do, and the windows will probably be one of our biggest challenges, as we plan to mount them flush with the body rather than use factory rubber moldings and such.

I mentioned going to Bowling Green for a Hot Rod Magazine photo shoot. Yes, it’s true, although not for what I’d wish! I’ve been having some issue with my little Plymouth Arrow pickup’s brakes. I’ve not had the time nor patience to really dig into it, so on a lark, I wrote to Hot Rod’s “Rescue Repair” section, and my truck was selected as a feature for that series. Met a great guy here in town that runs a repair shop. Yeah, he’s a Chevy racer. A ’69 Camaro (surprise, surprise, surprise). But you know, those Chevy guys are great reapir men, having to always work on GM stuff…:) Really, this guy was a great gentleman, a rarity I’ve found in all our automtive dealings over the years. So he diagnosed all of my problems, and got it fixed. Hot Rod was very interested in the fact that my granddaughter will probably tke her first run down the 1/4 mile in my truck, so they wanted to photgraph her as well. SO…I wore my Dover T shirt, and can assure you that no photograph with either of us in it will not show the Dover logo very well!
                                        It was a really fun deal all around, Hot Rod was great to work with, the shop was great to work with, and I’ll probably use them again as I think the little truck has some more in it with just better tuning than I’m capable of. I’ll post picutes here when I get them…

mikey

Gary, you beat me to it!! I was gonna steal some of the pics off Facebook, and put them right here in the topic I started for you and Bill. Good job so far.
                                            ……………….Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

storm-king

Dino posted ’em up for me, I’m not that smart!

tomatohead
                                                Participant

…… HEY U GUYS โ— โ— ๐Ÿ˜€ I luv your pics of the car in progress โ— ๐Ÿ˜€ there are great and I wish my car looked like that on the bottom and with the roll cage โ— absolutly beautiful โ— ๐Ÿ˜€ You do A-1 work โ— Hope to see you run at the Dover Race in the Future โ— …… i know my spelling sucks ๐Ÿ˜€

storm-king

We’re hoping very much to be able to finish it in time to be there as well.
                                                        I’m doing all the finish work in my little two car garage in my basement, its the smallest work space I’ve had in over 20 years! Bill’s got a bigger shop, but it’s tied up making composite parts for the car, and other race customers.
                                                        I’ll post more up (or have Dino do it) soon!

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Latest From Bill:
                                                            ” Still have a lot to go on the car, but hope to have the motor & trans in by next weekend. Big holdup could be the driveshaft. Still working on the tooling on the body parts, but they will come together pretty quick once the tooling is finished. Work on other customers parts have pushed my schedule back, but I’ve about finished with that till I get mine running”

storm-king

Well I’ll bring everyone up to date on the latest Storm King. I’ve been very slow getting some things done, and Imagine that, we got low on cash. We just picked up the Lexan last week, have yet to start templating and cutting it. I’ve had a few issues finding some parts I wated for it, and am getting that sorted out. I also spent an inordinate ammount of time working out the fuel cell/battery box mount. However, the biggest thing that just made me freeze is thisโ€ฆI gave Bill a pair of old ET mags I’d bought off eBay for my Dart project. Just something nostalgic he could get started with, and save him spending the big bucks for a set of new wheels. Then I spent a few hundred having them polished. Then I thought, hey, I’ll clear coat them to save polishing in the future! I have my motorcycle’s natrual aluminum parts polished and clear powder coated for that same reason. But I decided, since I was using several POR15 products already, to ask them about a clear I could use on the polished rims. They suggested one, told me I could brush it right on and it’d flow like it was sprayed. NOT. So there I was with freshly polished rims, and they were all screwed up, and I was afraid to touch them. So I stayed away from the garage for some time. I got it sorted out, got the finish off miraculously without damaging the polish work at all, and now finally have the slicks mounted. I’m working on running brake, fuel, and battery lines and cables. As soon as we get the Lexan windshield sized and drilled, we’ll drop in the motor and trans. I may be posting some pix here, and if I still have problems with that, Dino will post them up shortly. Yup, won’t let me upload pix.I’m sure its my bad though…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.