NEW YORK NATIONAL SPEEDWAY

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST NEW YORK NATIONAL SPEEDWAY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Hi all,

Besides racing at Dover, we ran many other tracks and NY National being one of them. They had nice big paved pits.
        New York National Speedway opened on Long Island in March 1966 and ran to October 1980. The track had four lanes. I remember them racing in the winter with snow on the side of the track. The ran Fri, Sat and Sun. I think they ran shows on Wed nights too.

Andy Panessa

Attachments:

tomblake
        Participant

I remember that being a pretty good track. WAY out on Long Island. Only got to run there in 1966, that’s when I moved to South Carolina. But did find 4 trophies from that track that survived my moving around the country.

anonymous

I remember seeing many of our Dover guys race at NY National.

Andy

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

Remember the OPENING day ! Just had to go ! …I had just lettered the legendary “Henry The Eighth” ’50 ford (first owned by Lou DiRubba-Built by Lagana) for new owner (JIM WINKLER-Armonk,N.Y.)[ who we are tracking down.] Rode with him BUT….never made it ! He was flat towing it with a big ol GM station wagon with rear coil springs. It was weaving (The Race Car), all over from one lane to the next on the Sunrise Highway. Jim could’t hold her in control ! fish tailed so bad ,we hit both the left and right side guard rails and the car came loose. Sat on the side off the road and watched everybody go by. Limped back to Armonk and missed opening Day. RETURNED many Times with Dover Racers on Fri & Sat Nights (John Benson & a bunch of Ct. Dover runners ) Place was JUST like Southern California. Made Dover more and more less appealing by comparison. Problem though…were all their Weird classes (AHRA)…. you could just about make -up your own and be sure of a ‘OCT’….One Car Trophy.

dino
                    Keymaster

Radio Ad …who could forget, on WABC Radio 77 am….”SUNDAY AT THE BIG TRACK IN NEW YORK…….Take Sunrise Highway to exit 56 in Center Moriches ….Sunday ….Sunday .”

anonymous

Hey Dino,

Here is a radio ad for NY National. IClick on it to open it. t’s a zipped file.

Andy

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Hey …I did it …just click on the little “zip” tag (ny nat zip.) and keep clicking open, til the media player opens and plays it….THE SEARCH Has begun for the WABC DOVER Commercial …got some Radio Commercial Freaks in the Big Apple trying to find it.

tomblake
                                Participant

We get to SEE the pictures to bring back the memories.
                                    Now we can HEAR one of the old commercials.
                                    Who is going to come up with the SMELL of burning tires and Sunoco 260?

dino
                                    Keymaster

Video Bob has been in the attic working on some “smell-o-vision” projects….Tom ? 2:25 am …what ‘a we got a Night shift?

bobby-s

7-24-365 😮
                                            what ever it takes to make this site AWESOME

thank you V Bob and the rest of the “HOME TEAM,,”

BOBBY S.

tomblake
                                            Participant
                                                quote dinotheweirdo:

Video Bob has been in the attic working on some “smell-o-vision” projects….Tom ? 2:25 am …what ‘a we got a Night shift?

Just got hooked.
                                                Last month I went to my 50th year high school reunion in Connecticut.
                                                Visited the college in Danbury.
                                                Than found the Dover site.
                                                Called some old racing buddy’s that started from the Dover site
                                                It’s like being a kid all over again.
                                                Memories, memories, memories.
                                                And I live in Florida now so it took quite a few miles to cover a lot old ground. I would have liked to go up to the drag strip if I knew about the trip the FTA planned. But didn’t find the site till after they were there.

vbob
                                                Participant

Hey
                                                    Found these up in the a—-!!
                                                    I got mine !!

‘V’

Attachments:

vbob
                                                    Participant

Hey Found this up there 2!!
                                                        Not sure which track,maybe Ct.??

‘V’

Attachments:

tomblake
                                                        Participant

I thought I saved a lot of stuff but you have got me and a lot of other guys beat by a bunch. And I mean that in a good way. There would be a lot of memories lost if it wasn’t for you and your attic.

vbob
                                                            Participant

Hey
                                                                Tom,
                                                                I had lots of 55’s too but none are upstairs or downstairs!!
                                                                Remember runin old rt8 the upper road heading back to Waterbury???
                                                                Racing nearthe scales on rt 8 !!!

‘V’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.